anti-intellectualism

anti-intellectualism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
You seem to be saying that "It's written in the Bible" is sufficient for a "truth claim"? And if so, is that an intellectual stance or anti-intellectual stance?
Its a statement of fact.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Its a statement of fact.
Well what I am asking is whether your personal standard of "proof" and your personal process of determining a "fact" is, in this case, an example of intellectualism or "anti-intellectualism".

[I put "anti-intellectualism" in quotation marks because it's the thread title.]

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
Well what I am asking is whether your personal standard of "proof" and your personal process of determining a "fact" is, in this case, an example of intellectualism or "anti-intellectualism".

[I put "anti-intellectualism" in quotation marks because it's the thread title.]
sorry the thread is not about me.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

sorry the thread is not about me.
But I am asking you about claims you have made here on this thread and also about whether or not you admit that your standard of proof is an example of "anti-intellectualism" ~ which is our topic.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Apr 14

I have no reason to doubt it.
Why do you have no reason to doubt the Bible?

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
But I am asking you about claims you have made here on this thread and also about whether or not you admit that your standard of proof is an example of "anti-intellectualism" ~ which is our topic.
thread not about me and will be ignored.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Why do you have no reason to doubt the Bible?
because I have studied and examined its contents and its appears to me to be entirely sound. Its scientifically accurate (when it touches upon matters of science), its historically accurate, its teachings are sound, its internal harmony is amazing, its the most widely translated and distributed book in humanity, is able to transcend all kinds of barriers. all in all its pretty damn awesome.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Apr 14

thread not about me and will be ignored.
In comes the towel.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
In comes the towel.
its not and quite frankly I am fed up of every attempt to reduce it to a personal level. People seem quite incapable of arguing appoints on the merits of the arguments themselves. All i ever get is personal perspective questions, how hard can it be to argue objectively on the merits or otherwise of any issue.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

its not and quite frankly I am fed up of every attempt to reduce it to a personal level.
I was trying to discuss claims you had made on this thread and explore whether they were an example of "anti-intellectualism".

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 4)
To glorify God in time is the plan for all believers: realizing the tranquility, peace, happiness and contentment that comes from learning Bible doctrine and advancing to spiritual maturity. Romans 12:2 New American Standard Bible: "And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the w ...[text shortened]... n eternity: becoming "shipwrecked", as Paul said, preoccupied with instant gratification diversions.
Happiness Versus a Hardened Heart C.S. Lewis puts it so well in that we to often focus on short-term gratifications and harden our hearts toward God who offers us infinite joy. C.S. Lewis' quote below tells us of our poor choices concerning happiness and being half-hearted toward God.

"Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." - C.S. Lewis http://access-jesus.com/why-am-i-unhappy.html

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition, when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
C.S. Lewis would come across as a bit of a buffoon if he were a participant here on this forum posting this kind of stuff.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Happiness Versus a Hardened Heart C.S. Lewis puts it so well in that we to often focus on short-term gratifications and harden our hearts toward God who offers us infinite joy. C.S. Lewis' quote below tells us of our poor choices concerning happiness and being half-hearted toward God.

"Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too ...[text shortened]... are far too easily pleased." - C.S. Lewis http://access-jesus.com/why-am-i-unhappy.html
[/b]
If one takes the Christ's words to heart, happiness for a Christian comes in giving of oneself. Of pouring oneself out like a libation for others and there can be no question that altruism offers the greatest happiness.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

If one takes the Christ's words to heart, happiness for a Christian comes in giving of oneself. Of pouring oneself out like a libation for others and there can be no question that altruism offers the greatest happiness.
This sounds a bit different from the stuff you were saying about Christians on the Happy Easter thread the other day.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Apr 14

its not and quite frankly I am fed up of every attempt to reduce it to a personal level. People seem quite incapable of arguing appoints on the merits of the arguments themselves. All i ever get is personal perspective questions, how hard can it be to argue objectively on the merits or otherwise of any issue.
It quite evidently was a throwing in of the towel. You were more than happy to answer the 'personal' questions I asked you, and you were quite happy to answer FMF's 'personal' questions until your line of reasoning came a little unstuck.