Another Reason for Jesus Dying

Another Reason for Jesus Dying

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Jan 22

Perhaps Franco Zeffirelli should have cast Arnold Schwarzenegger instead of Robert Powell.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Why have you put “killing power” in quotation marks when it not in the bible and you have just made it up?
I can't find anything in the New Testament that speaks to me about "killing power".

It strikes me as the kind of thing one might find on a billboard advertising an insecticide.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester said
“terminate” is not a biblical term, why are you using it?

Why have you put it in block capitals?
Let me guess.

Because it places an extraordinary amount of finality on top of the just plain "crucified with Christ" terminology.

It's as if there is some revelatory aspect to it that hints at special awareness above and beyond the ordinary use of biblical concepts that only certain initiates are privileged to know.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester said
“Terminated” is not a biblical term.

It is out of the movies.
Copyright infringement?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 22

@josephw

This is applical to a number of passages of the truth of God.

KIlling power? - " . . . So then, brothers, we are debtors not to the flesh to live according to the flesh; For if you live according to the flesh, you are about to die, but if by the Spirit you PUT TO DEATH . . . the practices of the body, you will live." (Rom. 8:12,13)

Killing power? - "But they who are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and its lusts" (Gal. 5:24)

These are part of the inheritance of believers in Jesus Christ. And we need to lay hold of this inheritance.

Killing power ?? - "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom the world has been crucified to me and I to the world." (Gal. 6:14)

AMEN.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
11 Jan 22

@josephw said
I can't find anything in the New Testament that speaks to me about "killing power".

It strikes me as the kind of thing one might find on a billboard advertising an insecticide.
😆 😆 😆

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@the-gravedigger said
😆 😆 😆
😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 22
1 edit

@josephw

Just an exchange of emojis?

It's as if there is some revelatory aspect of emojis to it that hints at special awareness above and beyond the ordinary use of language that only certain initiates are privileged to know.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@sonship said
@josephw

It's as if there is some revelatory aspect of emojis to it that hints at special awareness above and beyond the ordinary use of language that only certain initiates are privileged to know.
Sometimes emojis transcend diatribe.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@josephw said
Let me guess.
Because it places an extraordinary amount of finality on top of the just plain "crucified with Christ" terminology.
It's as if there is some revelatory aspect to it that hints at special awareness above and beyond the ordinary use of biblical concepts that only certain initiates are privileged to know.
Bingo!

Moves
11 Jan 22

@sonship said
@josephw

KIlling power? - " . . . So then, brothers, we are debtors not to the flesh to live according to the flesh; For if you live according to the flesh, you are about to die, but if by the Spirit you PUT TO DEATH . . . the practices of the body, you will live." (Rom. 8:12,13)

Killing p ...[text shortened]... st, through whom the world has been crucified to me and I to the world." (Gal. 6:14) [/b]

AMEN.
Why have you put “killing power” in quotation marks?

Don’t run away, just answer that simple question.

Moves
11 Jan 22
1 edit

@sonship said
@josephw

Finally another Christian on this forum is peaking out against your narcissistic pretensions. Stop making quotes which don’t exist sonship.

This morning I’ve floated some unusual sounding analogies, but they are analogies, descriptions to help think differently. No quotes, no manipulation of scripture to add new words, new terminologies. Stuff which is open to criticism, easy to differentiate between my ideas and what is written in the bible.

As Ghost of a Duke has pointed out, what you do is slip new stuff into the text, manipulate the text to fit your church’s dogma. To be fair you are not alone, but you do it all the time. It’s the main reason you insist on writing lots of long long posts so the stuff is hidden.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@sonship said
@josephw

Killing p ...[text shortened]... st, through whom the world has been crucified to me and I to the world." (Gal. 6:14) [/b]

AMEN.
2 Corinthians 4:6,7
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

I get the impression from the way you are characterizing what the scriptures say, that believers have an authority inherent in themselves that elevates them to a status equal with God's authority.

Billy Graham said, "we are never more like Satan than when we try touching the glory of God".

The word "power" occurs in 142 verses of the New Testament. In virtually every place it is directly attributed to God.

"Killing power"? Sounds crass. In my opinion it doesn't characterize the scriptural narrative relative to the "power" that believers are beneficiaries of.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 22
1 edit

@josephw

I get the impression from the way you are characterizing what the scriptures say, that believers have an authority inherent in themselves that elevates them to a status equal with God's authority.

No, you should not have that impression.

Without Him we can do nothing (John 15:5)
I may not be able to address those fears you have.

While "Without Me you can do nothing?" In Him we can do all things.
"I am able to do all things in Him who empowers me." (Phil. 4:13)

1.) Apart from HIm we can do nothing.
2.) All that we DO do apart from Him will eventually amount to nothing.
3.) In Him who empowers us we are able to do all things.

Furthermore, without faith it is impossible to be well pleasing to God.
So all that we would do in Him, unto Him, by Him, and through Him can only be
done with faith.

"But without faith it is impossible to be well pleasing to Him, for he who comes forward to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. (Heb. 11:6)

And we should be imitators of those who are inertiting the promises. For some are inheriting them.

"That you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and longsuffering are inheriting the promises." (Heb. 6:12)

If we do not know who those are we can pray and ask God to lead us to those who are inheriting the promises. Why be cynical and unbelieving that none are? That could be foolish pride.

Lastly it is God who operates in the believers both the willing and the working for His good pleasure. So we Christians ought to be thankful that without His operating we could not cooperate.

" . . . work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; For it is God who operates in you both the willing and the working for His good pleasure." (Phil. 2:12b,13)

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@sonship said
@josephw

No, you should not have that impression.

Without Him we can do nothing (John 15:5)
I may not be able to address those fear ...[text shortened]... od who operates in you both the willing and the working for His good pleasure." (Phil. 2:12b,13)[/b]
You say the darnedest things in the darnedest way! 🙄

"I may not be able to address those fears you have."

What do I have to fear? God indeed, but not what you presumptuously appear to be suggesting. I have no idea why you would say that.

"If we do not know who those are we can pray and ask God to lead us to those who are inheriting the promises. Why be cynical and unbelieving that none are? That could be foolish pride."

That is a strange inference. The question defies reason in that it assumes a cynicism on the part of another.

My first question is why would I, or anyone else, think that "none are" inheriting the promises? And why do I need to "pray" to God to lead me to those that are inheriting the promises when it is evidently apparent who they are?

The "promises" are to all that believe. Though some are negligent, that is not the point of this discussion.

Pride? Seems to me to be at the root of all rebellion and resistance against the will of God, and can be the catalyst for all false doctrine.