addiction is a choice

addiction is a choice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
It's not 'in my mind', alcoholism is the addiction to alcohol.
"Alcoholism is typically characterized by the inability to control alcoholic drinking."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alcoholism

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
"Alcoholism is typically characterized by the inability to control alcoholic drinking."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alcoholism
I would agree with that statement. That's not what alcoholism actually IS though. That's something that it is typically (but not invariably) characterised by.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16
2 edits

I would agree with that statement. That's not what alcoholism actually IS though. That's something that it is typically (but not invariably) characterised by.
So are you saying that someone can be addicted to something without ever giving in to it?

The way I see it if you are addicted to something you can't help but give in to the thing you are addicted to at some point. If you can withstand the temptation then you are not really addicted.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

So are you saying that someone can be addicted to something without ever giving in to it?
Well they must have given in to it a number of times in order to develop the addiction in the first place, but yes, some addicts live out the rest of their lives without ever again using the substance to which they are addicted.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16
2 edits

Well they must have given in to it a number of times in order to develop the addiction in the first place, but yes, some addicts live out the rest of their lives without ever again using the substance to which they are addicted.
So it is impossible to 'loose' an addiction that you once had?

I disagree, I know plenty of smokers that were addicted to smoking but they quit that are now disgusted by even the thought of smoking.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

So it is impossible to 'loose' an addiction that you once had?

I disagree, I know plenty of smokers that were addicted to smoking but they quit that are now disgusted by even the thought of smoking.
I also know people who claim that. Nevertheless, the addiction remains.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

I also know people who claim that. Nevertheless, the addiction remains.
And you know this how?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

And you know this how?
The changes in the brain are permanent.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Oct 16

The changes in the brain are permanent.
For every type of addiction?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

For every type of addiction?
Yes, that is what addiction is. It is quite different from a psychological dependence, although the two are often confused.

F

Moves
13 Oct 16

I was a heavy smoker for years before stopping 24 years ago. I can talk about how disgusting it is to think of smoking, of course, but I am 85% certain (based on attempts to stop prior to that last time in 1992) that, if I were to start again, after one or two "disgusting" smokes, I would be right back where I started and the addiction would kick in again.

I wasn't able to be a light smoker. I was a heavy smoker. The depth and nastiness of the addiction was reflected in the distinct and considerable physical difficulty I experienced stopping which endured for quite a long time and was comparable to a serious bout of illness. The process of turning my back on that addiction was so uncomfortable (and I don't mean psychologically), it continues to act as a deterrent. I just know that if I had a relapse, I'd have to deal with all that physical unpleasantness again.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Oct 16

Yes, that is what addiction is. It is quite different from a psychological dependence, although the two are often confused.
Actually I would call both addiction. One is physical addiction and the other psychological, and many people have elements of both. From a medical standpoint, both are relevant and both are 'disease'.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Oct 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Actually I would call both addiction. One is physical addiction and the other psychological, and many people have elements of both. From a medical standpoint, both are relevant and both are 'disease'.
Not an unreasonable position to take, although I would prefer to maintain separation between the terms.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Oct 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I was a heavy smoker for years before stopping 24 years ago. I can talk about how disgusting it is to think of smoking, of course, but I am 85% certain (based on attempts to stop prior to that last time in 1992) that, if I were to start again, after one or two "disgusting" smokes, I would be right back where I started and the addiction would kick in again.

I ...[text shortened]... just know that if I had a relapse, I'd have to deal with all that physical unpleasantness again.
So would you honestly say you are addicted to smoking at this point in time, even though you haven't had a smoke in 24 years? When you say the 'addiction would kick in again' doesn't that mean that you are not currently addicted?

F

Moves
14 Oct 16

So would you honestly say you are addicted to smoking at this point in time, even though you haven't had a smoke in 24 years? When you say the 'addiction would kick in again' doesn't that mean that you are not currently addicted?
I would say that, when it comes to nicotine, I cannot consume it because my past dependency to it has demonstrated that I am an addict with regard to that substance and cannot control it. My addiction to it in the past creates an addiction-related reality even in the present day. My addiction to it in the past means I cannot touch it now without clear risk. That makes me different from non-smokers and from people who can smoke every now and then without becoming addicted. You can label it what you want. I see myself as a nicotine addict who hasn't smoked for 24 years. Make of that what you want.

Meanwhile, I have never been an alcoholic, even though I have certainly drunk enough alcohol at certain times in my life to have become one. Whereas I may have succumbed to peer group pressure and such like at times (which might possibly be characterized as some form of psychological 'addiction'], I never came under pressure from the effect and damage that alcohol may have been doing to my body and never reacted to its consumption in a way that would be called alcoholism.