addiction is a choice

addiction is a choice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
27 Sep 16

The subject is complicated, but addiction is not a disease, it is not due to genetic flaw, it is not an act of the gods, and it is not inescapable.

Google the thread title.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Oct 16

Originally posted by apathist
The subject is complicated, but addiction is not a disease, it is not due to genetic flaw, it is not an act of the gods, and it is not inescapable.

Google the thread title.
What is your addiction?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Oct 16

Google the thread title.
Is OCD a choice in your opinion?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Oct 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Curious why you would single out OCD. (It's the area at work I specialize in).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Oct 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Curious why you would single out OCD. (It's the area at work I specialize in).
Friends

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Oct 16

Friends
No, I meant why 'addiction' made you think of OCD.

I'm not sure 'compulsion' and 'addiction' are necessarily the same.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No, I meant why 'addiction' made you think of OCD.

I'm not sure 'compulsion' and 'addiction' are necessarily the same.
I would defer to you, on relationships. Addictive and compulsion behaviors both have people with out freedom in their lives.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Oct 16
2 edits

The subject is complicated,
Agreed. And you have tried to over simplify it.

but addiction is not a disease,
Actually addiction fits every definition of 'disease' that I looked up. What is your definition?

it is not due to genetic flaw,
Its often the case that a genetic characteristic does affect susceptibility to addiction. Whether a genetic characteristic can be termed a 'flaw' is debatable.

it is not an act of the gods,
Agreed.

and it is not inescapable.
That depends. I would say that a child born with an addiction could not escape it. Similarly, many people are put in environments where it is very difficult to avoid addiction and very hard to escape once addicted. Addiction, by definition, is when you can no longer resist the urge to perform a given behaviour.

Google the thread title.
Provide your own sources rather than demanding that we do your work for you.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Oct 16

Addictive and compulsion behaviors both have people with out freedom in their lives.
Yes, I see the sense in that.

Moves
01 Oct 16

Google the thread title.
dis·ease (di-zēz'😉,
1. An interruption, cessation, or disorder of a body, system, or organ structure or function.
See also: syndrome. Synonym(s): illness, morbus, sickness

looks like addictions fits the description to me.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
What is your addiction?
Are you retarded?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Oct 16

Is OCD an addiction in your opinion?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by twhitehead...
Actually addiction fits every definition of 'disease' that I looked up. What is your definition?
If we trust AMA, it is a disorder, not a disease.

More robust is that with addiction there is no infectious agent, no pathological biological process, and no biologically degenerative condition. Nothing is forcing your addiction onto you except by your own choice.

The 'disease' meme is pretty strong in our culture. It takes a free thinker to get past it. Hey! Learn about rat park.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead... Addiction, by definition, is when you can no longer resist the urge to perform a given behaviour. ...
Or, it causes a strong and harmful need to regularly have or do something, or is a very enjoyable in a way that makes you want to do or have something again.

Compulsion, btw, is just performing an act persistently and repetitively without it necessarily leading to an actual reward or pleasure.

We can always resist (even in handcuffs!), so I guess the key word is 'need'. There are withdraw symptoms, physical addiction can be serious. But there is no doubt that many people faced with the most serious of addictions decided to resist (despite your definition) , and there is no doubt that recovery from any addiction is possible.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by stellspalfie
dis·ease (di-zēz'😉,
1. An interruption, cessation, or disorder of a body, system, or organ structure or function.
See also: syndrome. Synonym(s): illness, morbus, sickness

looks like addictions fits the description to me.
I admit this is a subject where standard definitions can lead us astray.

I was lucid dreaming before the dictionaries acknowledged that it was possible. Now it is known as fact.

This situation isn't as drastic. Plenty of dictionaries, and especially technical dictionaries, get it right.

If we suffer from disease, all the willpower in the world will not help. Contrast that fact with addiction.