1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    03 Apr '20 13:01
    @fmf said
    Waiting a week is sooo old school!

I've been waiting for episodes of Homeland too.

I thought Discovery S01 was brilliant but I have been having more trouble lapping up S02. Haven't been in the mood for it, perhaps.
    Yeah I thought its storylines and landscape got scaled down a bit in S02 but I’m still hoping there’ll be a S03 🤞
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 02:29
    @kevcvs57 said
    I loved it nearly as much as ‘Discovery’ although initially I was annoyed at having to wait a week between episodes I quickly began to look forward to Friday’s more than Saturday’s.
    Uh oh! Should I have started Discovery before Picard?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 02:46
    @hakima said
    Uh oh! Should I have started Discovery before Picard?
    I've never seen Discovery, and yet enjoyed Picard anyway.
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 02:52
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I've never seen Discovery, and yet enjoyed Picard anyway.
    Would it be pointless to watch Discovery after Picard?
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 02:581 edit
    @hakima said
    I'm not sure. I have no idea if that one is any good.

Edit: my guess is that they'd both stand alone reasonably well.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 04:56
    @hakima said
    They do stand alone.

"Enterprise" [4 series] with Capt. Johnathan Archer and "Star Trek: Discovery" [2 series so far] are both PREQUELS to "Star Trek: The Original Series".

I liked "Enterprise" more than "Star Trek: Voyager" but TV executives didn't agree [hence only 4 series]. Both very worthy.

The one I could not get further into than half way through series 1 [out of 7] before abandoning it was "Star Trek: Deep Space 9".

"Star Trek: Picard" is my favourite output from the franchise since "Star Trek: The Next Generation ".
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 03:07
    @fmf said
    Picard E10 S01

Picard: "You want to die?"

Data: "Not exactly. I want to live - however briefly - knowing my life is finite. Mortality gives meaning to human life. Peace, love, friendship, these are precious because we know they cannot endure. A butterfly that lives forever is really not a butterfly at all."
    i.e. sour grapes
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 03:25
    @athousandyoung said
    i.e. sour grapes
    Quite the opposite.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 02:20
    While an interesting conversation, I am not sure how this relates to "spirituality". It's just discussion of Star Trek and its environs.

The connection to the "butterfly that lives forever" is a significant stretch, although had the discussion stayed there and existed in the philosophical, it may have found a place here, but it's clear that this was merely a mechanism for shoehorning the thread into the forum.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:36
    @suzianne said
    While an interesting conversation, I am not sure how this relates to "spirituality". It's just discussion of Star Trek and its environs.

The connection to the "butterfly that lives forever" is a significant stretch, although had the discussion stayed there and existed in the philosophical, it may have found a place here, but it's clear that this was merely a mechanism for shoehorning the thread into the forum.
    What harm does it do to have a thread like this once in awhile?

We can all go back to disagreeing about stuff soon enough...
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 05:08
    @suzianne said

"Not exactly. I want to live - however briefly - knowing my life is finite. Mortality gives meaning to human life. Peace, love, friendship, these are precious because we know they cannot endure. A butterfly that lives forever is really not a butterfly at all."

~ Data in Star Trek: Picard

Perhaps it is the fact that you do not see how the OP relates to spirituality that's the reason you haven't made any contribution to this topic aside from this dreary moaning on page 2.

Otherwise, you would have addressed the OP and not worried about other community members talking to each other on a tangent.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 05:13
    @suzianne said
    The connection to the "butterfly that lives forever" is a significant stretch
    On the contrary, I believe that the collision between the notion of life being finite ~ and the aspirations surrounding life being not finite ~ lies at the very core of spirituality and affects the human condition in innumerable ways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree