21st century and people still duped by bible?

21st century and people still duped by bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jb

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Wow I could have to words to say to that but one cannot stop to kick every dog that barks at us.
Master, your restraint is exemplary. Just cause Russell was a Mason dudn't mean a durn thang.

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by Great King Rat
There are many, many Muslim women who dress the way they do because they want to, not because they are being forced.
You make this claim without personally knowing even one Muslim?

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
Apparently it is.
Not your topic though. Nice try.

Infidel

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by divegeester
You make this claim without personally knowing even one Muslim?
Yes. I fail to see the relevance here.

Infidel

Moves
28 Oct 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
My feeling concerning Islam was much like what twhitehead wrote earlier:

Originally posted by twhitehead

My impression though is that the Muslims I have known were a bit more serious about their religion than most Christians I have known (although that is more of an average as I have seen a lot of variation amongst Christians. They also seem to be a lot stricter about rules - no alcohol, only Halal food, fasting during Ramadan etc. However, I wouldn't describe what I have seen of Islam to be any less mature than Christianity, unless by 'mature' you mean 'rotting'.

Apparently, “mature” is a bit of a misunderstood term in this context. Change it to “more grown up” if it sounds better. I’d not call it “rotting”. Rather “evolving”. My feeling indeed is that many Christians aren’t really all that serious about their religion. Sure, when asked they’ll say they believe in God and maybe even heaven and hell, but for the most part it hardly influences their daily lives, whereas for Muslims this is the other way around. Their religion is incredibly important to them.

As to why this is, I dare not say. Yes, the most obvious answer would be because Islam is younger than Christianity.

Infidel

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by whodey
Fine, but what about those who do not?
Oppression is bad.

Whaddaya want me to do about it?

Infidel

Moves
28 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Your indoctrination is so deep, you wouldn't believe it anyway, so why bother?

(btw, that's also why I don't bother much with the atheists amymore, either.)

Coincidence? Not really.
We (atheists) have been indoctrinated?

Please, explain.

Nice bait, by the way.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Oct 15
1 edit

My feeling indeed is that many Christians aren’t really all that serious about their religion. Sure, when asked they’ll say they believe in God and maybe even heaven and hell, but for the most part it hardly influences their daily lives, whereas for Muslims this is the other way around. Their religion is incredibly important to them.

As to why thi ...[text shortened]... dare not say. Yes, the most obvious answer would be because Islam is younger than Christianity.
I think it has far more to do with the incredible set of "rules" Islam pushes on their adherents. It just appears that muslims are far more "invested" in their religion because they put far more effort into not violating the rules. Christianity doesn't have that many "rules"; Judaism has far more than Christianity does.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Oct 15

I think it has far more to do with the incredible set of "rules" Islam pushes on their adherents. It just appears that muslims are far more "invested" in their religion because they put far more effort into not violating the rules. Christianity doesn't have that many "rules"; Judaism has far more than Christianity does.
Our big two are pretty tough, love the Lord our God with all our heart, and love everyone
else as ourselves. I trip up on those a lot. 🙁

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Oct 15

We (atheists) have been indoctrinated?

Please, explain.

Nice bait, by the way.
You can call it a type of "self-indoctrination", but yeah.

I've known atheists that were just as fervent in their non-belief as many religious people are in their beliefs, in fact there are many in this very forum. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, really. There's really very little personal "data-mining" going on, on either "side". Atheists develop their own beliefs about their non-belief, and they're not really too open to re-examining these beliefs very often, just as the religious aren't, either.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
Our big two are pretty tough, love the Lord our God with all our heart, and love everyone
else as ourselves. I trip up on those a lot. 🙁
Yeah, I know what you mean. But if I had to pray five times a day, only eat food prepared a certain way, only wear certain clothes in a certain way and always face East when I pray, I'm afraid I'd fall short on Day One. It would be a disaster.

And of course, perhaps this relates to an earlier concept about being more comfortable with what we're used to. Trying to fit into another culture is difficult if you haven't been raised in it.

Moves
28 Oct 15

Yes. I fail to see the relevance here.
Then what is the source of claim that "there are many, many Muslim women who dress the way they do because they want to, not because they are being forced." ?

rc

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by joe beyser
Master, your restraint is exemplary. Just cause Russell was a Mason dudn't mean a durn thang.
Lol that Russel was a Mason has already been debunked by the Masons themselves, so you had better get up in dem dare hills an make some more likker!

Infidel

Moves
28 Oct 15

Originally posted by divegeester
Then what is the source of claim that "there are many, many Muslim women who dress the way they do because they want to, not because they are being forced." ?
Reading interviews, reading forums, watching tv. The usual.

Infidel

Moves
28 Oct 15

You can call it a type of "self-indoctrination", but yeah.

I've known atheists that were just as fervent in their non-belief as many religious people are in their beliefs, in fact there are many in this very forum. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, really. There's really very little personal "data-mining" going on, on either "side". Atheists develop ...[text shortened]... really too open to re-examining these beliefs very often, just as the religious aren't, either.
Do "many" atheists on this forum "self-indoctrinate"? Who?