1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '21 17:511 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    Would it be possible to restrict someone's use of thumbs in a 24 hour period without too much reprogramming of the system?
    And, if so, would that be possible?

It would prevent trolling, encouraging other people to troll and make the thumbs mean more.
    That would really cut back on my thumbs down....LOL...

Anyone who posts can be considered a troll as you post and repost in different threads.

-VR
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 07:54
    @very-rusty said
    That would really cut back on my thumbs down....LOL...

Anyone who posts can be considered a troll as you post and repost in different threads.

-VR
    Are the 3 red thumbs to your post a disapproval to the idea that you'd give less red thumbs?
    Or because very rusty posted anything in a thread?
    Or to your definition of troll?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 21:27
    @yo-its-me said
    Are the 3 red thumbs to your post a disapproval to the idea that you'd give less red thumbs?
    Or because very rusty posted anything in a thread?
    Or to your definition of troll?
    I gave him a thumb down for giving a poor definition of what constitutes a troll.

A person who posts in different threads 'isn't' by definition a troll. They are a forum regular.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 09:34
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I gave him a thumb down for giving a poor definition of what constitutes a troll.

A person who posts in different threads 'isn't' by definition a troll. They are a forum regular.
    Thank you for clarifying.
    I'm sure you can see my point, it's hard to know what a thumb means.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 09:59
    @yo-its-me said
    Thank you for clarifying.
    I'm sure you can see my point, it's hard to know what a thumb means.
    I've given you a thumb up.

It means 'have a splendid weekend.'
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 10:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I've given you a thumb up.

It means 'have a splendid weekend.'
    I hope you have a splendid weekend too.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 10:03
    @yo-its-me said
    I hope you have a splendid weekend too.
    Thanks.

We have a good bottle of red wine.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:19
    @yo-its-me said
    Would it be possible to restrict someone's use of thumbs in a 24 hour period without too much reprogramming of the system?
    And, if so, would that be possible?

It would prevent trolling, encouraging other people to troll and make the thumbs mean more.
    We've had this discussion before, with minor variations.

I don't see that restricting the number of thumbs a poster can give in any 24-hour period is likely to reduce trolling. Trolling is not in the thumbs; it's in the posts which reap thumbs. Any limit on the number (6, 12, 24, whatever) of thumbs a poster could give would be arbitrary. If someone uploads many stupid posts (let's say, 50) and someone else calls him out on it by giving them all TDs, the first poster should reap what he sewed.

TU is equivalent to "hear, hear" in Parliament, and serves a useful purpose. Sometimes one wants to express approval without the need to add anything more to what has been said already.

TD is equivalent to a snigger, without the need to add anything more. This too has a useful function in an open forum.

Keep both, with no limit.
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:251 edit
    @moonbus said

I don't see that restricting the number of thumbs a poster can give in any 24-hour period is likely to reduce trolling. Trolling is not in the thumbs; it's in the posts which reap thumbs. Any limit on the number (6, 12, 24, whatever) of thumbs a poster could give would be arbitrary. If someone uploads many stupid pos ...[text shortened]... to add anything more. This too has a useful function in an open forum.

Fair enough. I mean good points really. As long as everyone knows I have no idea most of the time what a thumb either way actually is intended to mean.
    So if someone wants to say something I'd prefer a forum response.

Edit: Why has someone clicked the ! on your post??!! Those I normally understand.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:25
    @moonbus said

I don't see that restricting the number of thumbs a poster can give in any 24-hour period is likely to reduce trolling. Trolling is not in the thumbs; it's in the posts which reap thumbs. Any limit on the number (6, 12, 24, whatever) of thumbs a poster could give would be arbitrary. If someone uploads many stupid pos ...[text shortened]... to add anything more. This too has a useful function in an open forum.

Hear! Hear!

Looks like a crybaby has alerted your post: Probably for use of the word that roughly means "titter"!

Let'em alert away! 😀
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:30
    @yo-its-me said
    Fair enough. I mean good points really. As long as everyone knows I have no idea most of the time what a thumb either way actually is intended to mean.
    So if someone wants to say something I'd prefer a forum response.

Edit: Why has someone clicked the ! on your post??!! Those I normally understand.
    ! Probably an automated alert triggered by a word.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:381 edit
    @moonbus said
    testing the hypothesis:
    (let's say, 50) and someone else calls him out on it by giving them all TDs, the first poster should reap what he sewed.

TU is equivalent to "hear, hear" in Parliament, and serves a useful purpose. Sometimes one wants to express approval without the need to add anything more to what has been said already.

TD is equivalent to a snigger, without the need to add
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:401 edit
    So the quoted part was a word that triggered the automatic alert.

I persume it is the word that reads like a deregatory term for people of Colour is you remove the "s".
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:44
    @ponderable said

I persume it is the word that reads like a deregatory term for people of Colour is you remove the "s".
    Oh I see, yes, I think you're right.
  15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 15:47
    @ponderable said

Like I said...same meaning as titter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree