Rec count

Rec count

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Aug 08

Originally posted by epic0002
I hope you guys also realize that if we had unlimited recs...that people like No1, Phlab , Darv... etc... would spend hours and hours going back and recommending every insult that anybody has ever written about users that are not it their little girls club.
I hardly ever recced anything before and I hardly ever rec anything now. Recs could be completely abolished and I, for one, wouldn't care.

F

Moves
02 Aug 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Of the qualities you listed, only rating is a good indicator of chess knowledge. Number of moves, and courtesy are not. There are plenty of weak players with a high number of moves, and strong players, like the late Bobby Fischer, who lacked in the social graces.
If Fischer says that Kings Gambit is good, I'm more likely to believe him than Linus from the park. But if Fischer rudely says that governement is corrupt and Linus gently says that we have what we voted for, then I'm more likely to believe Linus.

Things are not white and black. Things are fuzzy in colour. Rating alone doesnt tell the truth, nor nothing else. But if you weigh important qualities of a person, and how he acts in the precense of you, they surly tell you som of his reliability in various statements.

So, bottom line, number of moves tells you some of his reliablitiy, rating tells some, bullyness, friendlyness, language, and much more tell you that he is inclined to have the right opinion or not.

On the other hand, you have better rating than me, so you are probably right...

e
Black Mark

walking to and fro

Moves
02 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
I hardly ever recced anything before and I hardly ever rec anything now. Recs could be completely abolished and I, for one, wouldn't care.
Rec'd

edit- Thats right Pocket Player... I have more than enough to rec what I want.

TC

Moves
02 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I'd love to see examples of this behaviour. The rec system was changed on 21 Sep '06, so it should be absolutely no problem for you to find numerous examples from the Help forum of this behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

D
Unfortunately, I don't have time to make a full research and produce a complete report. I just picked some threads from page 73-75 of the help forum. Not exactly what I was looking for, but a bit of Bowmann's performance:

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=34842&page=1

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Overlooking_something&threadid=34779

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33121&page=1

I want to clarify, tough, that I wasn't referring to you, Ragnorak. As long as I remenber, you always have tried to help novice(and not so novice) with difficults with the site.

However, you must agree with me that the likes of Bowmann, Shavix, Xanthos, weren't, exactly, patience and respectful with other people's mistake.

As regarding the rec system, I just gave my opinion that the site is better as it is. However I am aware of the fact that my opinion has very little, if any, chance to influence Russ decision. In fact, also the opinion of Red Night has little echo in the site's owner ears, which can be seem by the fact that his requests keep being ignored, and that's the reason I find it absurd people thinking that he could make such a big change like what was done. If the pressure of many players for improvements in cheating detection, a key area to the site, didn't bring result, then what to say of the opinion of a user, or a small group of them, in an side area of the site's feature, like the forum?

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
02 Aug 08

Nobody cares what you think about it except epic, which is worse than nobody caring what you think.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by PocketKings
Nobody cares what you think about it except epic, which is worse than nobody caring what you think.
Seems like you're making a lot of progress on your quest. At the next windmill, say hello to Don Quixote.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
If Fischer says that Kings Gambit is good, I'm more likely to believe him than Linus from the park. But if Fischer rudely says that governement is corrupt and Linus gently says that we have what we voted for, then I'm more likely to believe Linus.

Things are not white and black. Things are fuzzy in colour. Rating alone doesnt tell the truth, nor nothin ...[text shortened]... ion or not.

On the other hand, you have better rating than me, so you are probably right...
The statement was that rating is a good indicator of chess knowledge, not a perfect one. Non-chess examples aren't relevant to this point.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
04 Aug 08

Seems like you're making a lot of progress on your quest. At the next windmill, say hello to Don Quixote.
As meaningless as they are to you, 18 recs on a post is progress.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Aug 08

As meaningless as they are to you, 18 recs on a post is progress.
You can fish for recs (how pathetically lame) all you want, but the fact remains that even if you get 50 recs for this idea, it is unlikely the Site Admins will bother to change the status quo.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
04 Aug 08

You can fish for recs (how pathetically lame) all you want, but the fact remains that even if you get 50 recs for this idea, it is unlikely the Site Admins will bother to change the status quo.
Oh yea, I went fishing 🙄

I'm stating that there are many who agree, I see it as support. If you don't think 18 is alot these days than you are blind. Your attitude towards it doesn't suprise me at all. I like to follow through with things, and your negative attitude won't change that.

F

Moves
04 Aug 08

Oh yea, I went fishing 🙄

I'm stating that there are many who agree, I see it as support. If you don't think 18 is alot these days than you are blind. Your attitude towards it doesn't suprise me at all. I like to follow through with things, and your negative attitude won't change that.
What we think, doesn't matter.
What Russ thinks, does.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Aug 08

Oh yea, I went fishing 🙄

I just recced it, too since it seems soooooooooooooo important to you. The "tidal wave" rolls on!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
What we think, doesn't matter.
What Russ thinks, does.
Sometimes, Russ answers prayer. Where is your faith?

DS

Moves
04 Aug 08

...it is unlikely the Site Admins will bother to change the status quo.
they did before.
So there's always a chance.

F

Moves
05 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Sometimes, Russ answers prayer. Where is your faith?
I don't bother the Creator when it's not important.