forum bans

forum bans

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOC

Moves
11 Feb 10

Can we get them to only apply to the public forums? Clubs are private and already unmoderated, so you don't have the problem of worrying about the inappropriate content that causes most bans now. just a thought.

Moves
11 Feb 10
1 edit

BOC

Moves
11 Feb 10

The post that was quoted here has been removed
well, the punishment should fit the crime. if the crime is in the public forums, shouldn't the punishment be restricted to the public forums as well? Yes I know club forums are moderated by the club creator, but that's not the point. The point is that, depending on the club owner, private forums don't have the restrictions on content that the public forums do.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
11 Feb 10

Originally posted by Big Orange Country
well, the punishment should fit the crime. if the crime is in the public forums, shouldn't the punishment be restricted to the public forums as well? Yes I know club forums are moderated by the club creator, but that's not the point. The point is that, depending on the club owner, private forums don't have the restrictions on content that the public forums do.
Weird logic.

Does that mean that if you are caught cheating in a match that is a Club/Clan/Tournament/Open invite then you should only be banned from participating in Club/Clan/Tournament/Open games and not the whole site?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 10

The post that was quoted here has been removed
One point is that standards of moderation are different and thus something that earns a ban in a public forum may be perfectly acceptable in a private forum.

For example, there is no reason to ban someone from private forums just because they discuss engine cheat suspects in the public forum. Discussion of cheats in the private forums is fine as long as the mod of that forum permits it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Feb 10
1 edit

On the other hand, why should the site owners bother writing more code just to accommodate a leniency appeal from those of us who lack discernment during moments of temporary insanity.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
On the other hand, why should the site owners bother writing more code just to accommodate a leniency appeal from those of us who lack discernment during moments of temporary insanity.
It's not a leniency appeal. No one is suggesting that public forum bans be made less harsh.

The site owners have been willing in the past to write more code to accommodate the difference between private and public forums: Thread 123940

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Feb 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
It's not a leniency appeal. No one is suggesting that public forum bans be made less harsh.

The site owners have been willing in the past to write more code to accommodate the difference between private and public forums: Thread 123940
I do think the OP idea has some value in it, but is it really worth bothering?

The thread you are referring to protects the private forums when for example, the moderator team have to remove a mass of spam threads. The idea here however is to provide an offender with a possibly more lenient punishment, an act that only affects them, and then only temporarily.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 10

I do think the OP idea has some value in it, but is it really worth bothering?

The thread you are referring to protects the private forums when for example, the moderator team have to remove a mass of spam threads. The idea here however is to provide an offender with a possibly more lenient punishment, an act that only affects them, and then only temporarily.
We're at an impasse. As I see it, OP's idea has nothing to do with leniency, but rather keeping the moderation of public and private forums separate. The public mods should not have any control over the private forums. That should belong exclusively to the owner of the private forum.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Feb 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
We're at an impasse. As I see it, OP's idea has nothing to do with leniency, but rather keeping the moderation of public and private forums separate. The public mods should not have any control over the private forums. That should belong exclusively to the owner of the private forum.
Not an impasse SG as I've previously agreed with BOC on this; I guess I'm just being realistic in presuming that it wouldn't happen.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Feb 10

Not an impasse SG as I've previously agreed with BOC on this; I guess I'm just being realistic in presuming that it wouldn't happen.
If we can just keep it off the TO-DO list, it has a chance....

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Big Orange Country
CFT is correct on this one!

The ban would mean nothing if you could still post in the Private Clubs & Clans. People would be having contests to see how long they could get banned from the Public Forums I am sure.

It would make more work for the Moderators.

Moves
12 Feb 10

Originally posted by Very Rusty
CFT is correct on this one!

The ban would mean nothing if you could still post in the Private Clubs & Clans. People would be having contests to see how long they could get banned from the Public Forums I am sure.

It would make more work for the Moderators.
hhmm we've been here before. i agree with rusty logic but everything rusty says is wrong, ergo i must actually be wrong here and this must be an excellent idea. thanks for the help πŸ˜›

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
hhmm we've been here before. i agree with rusty logic but everything rusty says is wrong, ergo i must actually be wrong here and this must be an excellent idea. thanks for the help πŸ˜›
Obviously CFT thinks I am right also. My Logic is superior to yours always has been, always will be.

Trust me on this! πŸ˜›

I wouldn't lead you down the wrong garden path! 😡

Moves
12 Feb 10

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Obviously CFT thinks I am right also. My Logic is superior to yours always has been, always will be.

Trust me on this! πŸ˜›

I wouldn't lead you down the wrong garden path! 😡
i find it hard trusting a person who is wrong 99.9% of the time... but i'm inclined to agree with you here πŸ˜›

i bet you know were some killer wild mushrooms are growing.