1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 18:371 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @ogb

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2016/05/04/the-real-reasons-quantum-entanglement-doesnt-allow-faster-than-light-communication/#3e4792723a1e

This article shows why you can't use QE to send information faster than c.
    TY for the link... very interesting..however..my theory includes information going INTO another dimension, somehow traveling to the other location (of the entangled particle) then popping back up into our dimension. Therefor NO time has passed (in our dimension), and NO distance has been traveled (in our dimension). The scientists are slow to endorse this idea, even though I have sent emails to magazines.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 20:27
    @ogb
    Slow because of the distinct possibility there are no other dimensions. In that case we are stuck with our big 4. If String and M brane theory is right we have 10 or 11 dimensions but good luck getting a way to test those theories, nobody has come up with a way to unambiguously test either one. One problem is there are many string theories and they think M brane is a montage of string so we have to await a new Ed Witten kind of genius to unravel all this.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 01:01
    @ogb said
    @Metal-Brain My apologies..I agree that the speed of light is not instantaneous . But QM might have some additional features to entanglement, like the instantaneous transfer of information... w/o using light..
    "I agree that the speed of light is not instantaneous"

So it is NOT instantaneous according to you.

"But QM might have some additional features to entanglement, like the instantaneous transfer of information"

If light is NOT instantaneous how can QM be instantaneous? That is a contradiction. If QE cannot travel faster than the speed of light QM cannot either.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 07:351 edit
    @metal-brain said

If light is NOT instantaneous how can QM be instantaneous?
    Why not?
    That is a contradiction.
    No, it isn't. And no non-moron would think otherwise. QE isn't light.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 07:391 edit
    @humy
    It isn't heavy either😉
    Sorry, couldn't help it😉
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 07:489 edits
    @ogb said
    TY for the link... very interesting..however..my theory includes information going INTO another dimension, somehow traveling to the other location (of the entangled particle) then popping back up into our dimension. Therefor NO time has passed (in our dimension), and NO distance has been traveled (in our dimension). The scientists are slow to endorse this idea, even though I have sent emails to magazines.
    I am just curious;
    Have you maths-defined your theory with actual physics equations?
    Or at least attempted to do so?
    Have you presented any specific physics equations that are specifically and uniquely for your theory?

I am currently writing a book, nothing to do with physics but rather only to do with statistical analysis, explaining my new original theory on statistical analysis and so far I have written down roughly about ~200 original equations in my book that are specifically and uniquely for my theory and even given each one its own unique formal name (Actually, I have done more than that by inventing a whole new branch of mathematics which I have named "tavology" complete with its own special notation and new maths constants. I had to! Because conventional maths was inadequate for defining my theory! But, obviously, it wouldn't be reasonable to usually expect someone with an ordinary typical scientific theory to invent a whole new branch of mathematics especially for it! )
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 08:35
    @ogb said
    That's fine, but how do particles cease to be entangled? Your wormholes, which is what this sounds like, need to form in a pairwise fashion when the particles are entangled and go away again when they're not or you need to have a wormhole link between every particle and every other particle in the universe and somehow cope with the way that the particle content of the universe changes.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 09:24
    @humy said
    Why not?
    That is a contradiction.
    No, it isn't. And no non-moron would think otherwise. QE isn't light.
    You are implying QE is faster than light by denying a contradiction. FAIL!
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 15:092 edits
    @metal-brain said
    You are implying QE is faster than light
    If what you mean by that is that QE allows faster than light communication, no; And I never said/implied the contrary.
    If what you mean by that there can sometimes be no measured time delay between the measured properties of two entangled particles; that's just a scientific fact. Which are you talking about?
    Obviously, to any non-moron, neither of the above implies light itself travels infinitely fast. QE isn't c.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 15:14
    @wolfgang59 said
    What a bizarre post!
    Lagging behind what?
    And why "should" they provide answers?
    @ogb said
    Our scientists are lagging behind and should provide answers to QM behaviour...

@wolfgang59 said
    Lagging behind what?

@lemon_lime said
    Future science/scientists
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 15:212 edits
    @sonhouse said
    @humy
    It isn't heavy either😉
    Sorry, couldn't help it😉
    Q: How are photons able to move so incredibly fast?

A: They are traveling light.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 15:53
    @lemon-lime said
    Q: How are photons able to move so incredibly fast?

A: They are traveling light.
    and the barman said: "Get out, we don't serve your kind in here."

A neutrino walked into a bar.

Sadly Cern discovered it was due to faulty soldering and not faster than light neutrinos, but it was a good joke at the time.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 16:22
    @metal-brain said
    "I agree that the speed of light is not instantaneous"

So it is NOT instantaneous according to you.

"But QM might have some additional features to entanglement, like the instantaneous transfer of information"

If light is NOT instantaneous how can QM be instantaneous? That is a contradiction. If QE cannot travel faster than the speed of light QM cannot either.
    When we send a signal using light an electron somewhere changes energy level and emits a photon, that photon is then absorbed by an electron in a detector or rod or cone cell or some such. That signalling requires an intermediary in the form of a photon.

In the case of the collapse of the wavefunction of two entangled particles there isn't an intermediary. The signalling would be through the wavefunction. What is required is that no physical information should be transmissible. The probability density needs to be Lorentz invariant, ρ = |ψ(x)|². But we can multiply ψ(x) by an arbitrary phase α = exp[ i θ(x, t)] and leave it the same, which for varying θ(x, t) leads to gauge theory, but that leaves a constant phase which doesn't do anything. It might be possible to set up faster than light signalling using some sort of phase over the two spin components which allows wavefunctions to collapse, but respects Lorentz covariance as far as measurable quantities are concerned but I don't know how to do it. I doubt it's possible even as a theory, what I'm trying to illustrate is that the speed of light is a hard barrier for causal influences, but not necessarily a barrier to correlation enforcing influence.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 17:28
    @deepthought said
    When we send a signal using light an electron somewhere changes energy level and emits a photon, that photon is then absorbed by an electron in a detector or rod or cone cell or some such. That signalling requires an intermediary in the form of a photon.

In the case of the collapse of the wavefunction of two entangled particles there isn't an intermediary. The signal ...[text shortened]... ard barrier for causal influences, but not necessarily a barrier to correlation enforcing influence.
    Oh don't confuse him with facts.
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 18:08
    @humy said
    I am just curious;
    Have you maths-defined your theory with actual physics equations?
    Or at least attempted to do so?
    Have you presented any specific physics equations that are specifically and uniquely for your theory?
    Like Albert Einstein, my method is Thought Experiments... Have been working on the math a little, as I get the time..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree