1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Sep '19 03:51
    Is the universe we live in eternal in size or scope?
    I say, no.

Someone from the Spiritual forum asked me what was said here.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '19 13:06
    @KellyJay
    There is growing evidence of our universe being just one 'bubble' among an infinite number of other bubble universes like foam in a soaped up bowl. And of course right now those theories are just conjecture, evidence but several lines now, mainly based on anomalies of the CMB.
    There is theory floating around that we may get a lot of information from the LIGO style gravitational wave detectors. When we get that kind of tech fully operational at wave frequencies we cannot detect right now, there will be a much closer look at the conditions of the very early BB (if the BB proves to be true).
    The thing is the CMB is only seen when the universe turned transparent to light which includes RF, Cosmic rays, IR, visible and so forth. We see the CMB in RF, not visible light.
    So the gravity waves penetrates the earlier fog, that time from about the inception of the BB to when the universe turned transparent, a time frame of about a half million years or so. But any gravitational waves would go right through all of the earlier ionized fog all the way to inception.
    If they get that kind of info there will be ways to check to see if our universe is the only one, is it finite, or whatever.
    News at 11.....
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '19 02:21
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    There is growing evidence of our universe being just one 'bubble' among an infinite number of other bubble universes like foam in a soaped up bowl. And of course right now those theories are just conjecture, evidence but several lines now, mainly based on anomalies of the CMB.
    There is theory floating around that we may get a lot of information from the LIGO sty ...[text shortened]... be ways to check to see if our universe is the only one, is it finite, or whatever.
    News at 11.....
    Tend to agree that the universe is finite, and the multiverse seems a wishful or hopeful theory, mainly to suggest a possibility that there would be no need for a personal cause that transcends the universe itself.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Sep '19 03:14
    @KellyJay
    Yep, if the universe is truly infinite, what does that make your god? Kinda screws up that plot doesn't it.
    I just wonder just what the hell have we gotten ourselves into anyway, finite or infinite, not much difference for us here on our little blue marble but just thinking about it either way gives me goosebumps and I tend to go a little mentally feint thinking about it, how tiny we are in this space, how tiny we are in just this solar system, forgetting about the rest of the play.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '19 03:21
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    Yep, if the universe is truly infinite, what does that make your god? Kinda screws up that plot doesn't it.
    I just wonder just what the hell have we gotten ourselves into anyway, finite or infinite, not much difference for us here on our little blue marble but just thinking about it either way gives me goosebumps and I tend to go a little mentally feint thinking ...[text shortened]... are in this space, how tiny we are in just this solar system, forgetting about the rest of the play.
    If it had a start it isn't infinite.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Sep '19 05:43
    @KellyJay
    Which is why there are theories floating about showing a truly infinite universe, one such being the bubble universe idea. In those scenario's there would be separate time tracks in each one, one universe, say, did it's entire lifespan way before our universe had it's start.
    If that kind of thing is true, there would also be an infinite number of gods, one for each universe.......
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '19 08:39
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    Which is why there are theories floating about showing a truly infinite universe, one such being the bubble universe idea. In those scenario's there would be separate time tracks in each one, one universe, say, did it's entire lifespan way before our universe had it's start.
    If that kind of thing is true, there would also be an infinite number of gods, one for each universe.......
    That is still just a projection of a maybe this or that, possibilities, an assertion, quite a different thing from we can test for or that. Of all the options under discussion which have evidence for around us, what makes sense in the world, we live around us?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Sep '19 16:02
    @KellyJay
    For you the answer is already clear. Not so much for us.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Sep '19 18:14
    @kellyjay said
    Is the universe we live in eternal in size or scope?
    I say, no.

Someone from the Spiritual forum asked me what was said here.
    We don't know. The Big Bang was 13.5 billion years ago, we do not have any empirical justification for the statement that that was the beginning. It could be there was a "before", the argument against this is based on the notion that the entropy of a closed system always increases and is bounded from above, so the universe must have a finite age - however this is theoretical. As to spatial extent I imagine that if the universe has a finite age it must have finite extent, if it is infinitely old then it may have infinite extent. Again, I doubt we can ever test this empirically. My best guess is that it has finite measure.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '19 22:40
    YouTube

Promise you will not be disappointed or argumentive due to this one. (well most will not be argumentative)
    A few minutes no words.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Sep '19 01:55
    @kellyjay said
    If it had a start it isn't infinite.
    You mean like positive integers?

But .. wait ...
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Sep '19 01:23
    @kellyjay said
    [youtube] 8Are9dDbW24 [/youtube]

Promise you will not be disappointed or argumentive due to this one. (well most will not be argumentative)
    A few minutes no words.
    Danail Obresckow I believe made this
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Sep '19 04:22
    @KellyJay
    What a beautiful girl and what a trip! Can you imagine going in a spacecraft to billions of light years away and back and how accurate you would have to steer to get back to that girl?๐Ÿ˜‰
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Sep '19 11:17
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    What a beautiful girl and what a trip! Can you imagine going in a spacecraft to billions of light years away and back and how accurate you would have to steer to get back to that girl?๐Ÿ˜‰
    Dive said it has been around for years, I just saw this and thought it was amazing, not only the trip into space but the inner world too.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Sep '19 18:16
    @KellyJay
    Yes. Too bad they have to stop with quarks๐Ÿ˜‰ There has to be deeper stuff we have not sussed out yet. I point to String Theory, Membrane theory and the like. None of which proven and ST doesn't even at this point have a way to be tested experimentally but the theories are there nonetheless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree