The Big Bang Theory Wrong?

The Big Bang Theory Wrong?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Sep 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
U are the 1 that ASSUME what the scientist ASSUME is true, when it could very well be false. I am smart enough to accept what the scientist PROVE, but not what they ASSUME.

The Instructor
It has already been proven to a very high degree of confidence that the universe is almost 14 billion years old. There will never be a day in your life that you would except that for every time a tiny modification of that age is put out you jump on the 'see, they don't know' bandwagon and then go on to say, that means the universe is now 6000 years old.

You fool no one with your hyperbole.

h

Moves
30 Sep 13
2 edits

The scientist are the ones that should be making explanations that are credible. How can they be credible when they assume this and assume that. You know what happens when we ASSUME don't you? It just makes an ASS out of U and ME.

The Instructor
No, they do not “assume” the observed laws of physics, they KNOW the observed laws of physics. They also do not “assume” the evidence, they KNOW the evidence. And, with these observed physical laws taken into account, the evidence clearly points to a universe that is currently expanding. So it is you that have to do the explaining here to explain, despite the evidence observed and documented by scientists that know and understand VASTLY more than you do about it, why should we think you are astonishingly right about this and all those many scientists, who have a much greater IQ than you and who, unlike you, have done many YEARS of research on it, are astonishingly all wrong about this, and the universe may not be expanding. So far, you have given NO explanation.

So, I must ask you, can you explain exactly what could have credibly and conceivably caused the whole entire universe continuing to expand just like it did in the past?
If not, you have no argument.

jb

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
And I asked in what way it appears that way. Is it just in the sense that if you fall in the ocean where you can't see land, you feel like you are in the middle of the ocean? If so, it seems a rather trivial observation and not 'fascinating' as you earlier said. Or is there more too it?
I don't know how the ocean analogy fits the discussion or what you find fascinating and trivial. Do you care to elaborate?

jb

Moves
02 Oct 13

K

Germany

Moves
02 Oct 13

It doesn't make sense to define a "center" of the universe. It's like trying to define a "center" of the surface of the Earth.

jb

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
So anything moving at half-light speed is invisible?
Amazing.
I did not know that... where can I find out more?
Two objects traveling in opposite directions at half the speed of light would make the dopler shift such that the electromagnetic waves would not be seen. You can find out more outside your colon after you extract your head.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It doesn't make sense to define a "center" of the universe. It's like trying to define a "center" of the surface of the Earth.
The universe is not like the surface of the earth. The universe appears to be more like the space within a sphere that can be expanded like a round balloon.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Oct 13

The universe is not like the surface of the earth. The universe appears to be more like the space within a sphere that can be expanded like a round balloon.

The Instructor
It's not that simple. Space has a slight residual curve no matter what direction you travel, its curved into another dimension so you could theoretically travel in a straight line and eventually end up in the same place you left just like traveling on Earth, you can fly around the globe forever, nothing to stop you because there is a slight curve to the globe. The same thing happens to the universe but on a higher dimensional plane.

h

Moves
02 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
It's not that simple. Space has a slight residual curve no matter what direction you travel, its curved into another dimension so you could theoretically travel in a straight line and eventually end up in the same place you left just like traveling on Earth, you can fly around the globe forever, nothing to stop you because there is a slight curve to the globe. The same thing happens to the universe but on a higher dimensional plane.
Trying to explain 4D curvature of space to a religious nut with no scientific credentials who doesn't understand even the most rudimentary physics but arrogantly thinks he knows it all and better than everyone else including all us scientists; good luck with that one.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
It may not be that simple, but it is defintely not as you claim. The earth is close to the center of the universe. Now, figure how that could be.

The Instructor

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by humy
Trying to explain 4D curvature of space to a religious nut with no scientific credentials who doesn't understand even the most rudimentary physics but arrogantly thinks he knows it all and better than everyone else including all us scientists; good luck with that one.
You say "us scientists", so how arrogant is that to think you are a real scientists? Please, give me a break. That's a funny one.

The Instructor

Cape Town

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by joe beyser
I don't know how the ocean analogy fits the discussion or what you find fascinating and trivial. Do you care to elaborate?
You said you found it fascinating that every point appears to be the centre. I am yet to get a satisfactory explanation for how you think any point appears to be the centre. I do not find it fascinating, I said I found it trivial that every direction looks virtually the same just as being in an ocean would, but that doesn't mean it looks like the centre. So I was enquiring whether you meant 'centre' in a different sense.

h

Moves
02 Oct 13
10 edits

You say "us scientists", so how arrogant is that to think you are a real scientists? Please, give me a break. That's a funny one.

The Instructor
What isn't funny is that you are so totally delusional and arrogant as to think you are actually know better about science than all the scientists here despite the fact that, as all of us know here except you apparently, having no scientific credentials and obviously having much lower IQ.

I am not the arrogant one making out to know better about science than most people here, YOU are.

There are scientists here with greater understanding and intelligence and scientific credentials than I; but you are not one of them and thus it is not a display of arrogance for me to point out that your are a moron. In fact, you are such a moron that it would not be boasting in the slightest for me to say I am vastly more intelligent than you -that would not being saying much for the same would be true for the average layperson.

Compared to the average scientist here, my intelligence is nothing special.
Compared to you, I'm a genius.

jb

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
You said you found it fascinating that every point appears to be the centre. I am yet to get a satisfactory explanation for how you think any point appears to be the centre. I do not find it fascinating, I said I found it trivial that every direction looks virtually the same just as being in an ocean would, but that doesn't mean it looks like the centre. So I was enquiring whether you meant 'centre' in a different sense.
Are you feeling ok? The only thing I can glean from your post is that You would not find it fascinating but merely trivial to being in an ocean. Then you start rambling on about the centre. By your spelling of the word center I surmise that perhaps you are possibly tired of living on an island? I don't know, but maybe they will make marijuana legal there for you and you can sail away. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Oct 13

Originally posted by joe beyser
Are you feeling ok? The only thing I can glean from your post is that You would not find it fascinating but merely trivial to being in an ocean. Then you start rambling on about the centre. By your spelling of the word center I surmise that perhaps you are possibly tired of living on an island? I don't know, but maybe they will make marijuana legal there for you and you can sail away. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
You said:
I find it very very fascinating that if one were to view the universe from any point in the universe, that it appears to be the center of expansion.

I am merely trying to ascertain what you meant. I don't know why you think my enquiry calls for rudeness.
As for my spelling, it merely shows that I am of English descent not American so I tend to spell more like the English.