New idea in electric cars: it rotates.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 May 08

You have to see the video to see what I mean.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/05/23/nzekwu.uk.rotating.car.itn

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
25 May 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
You have to see the video to see what I mean.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/05/23/nzekwu.uk.rotating.car.itn
link doesn't work

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
25 May 08
4 edits

Originally posted by scottishinnz
link doesn't work
It works for me.

It looks awkward to drive. Put a cannon on that turret and it will look better. I like the additional cameras.

t
Undutchable

was here

Moves
25 May 08
2 edits

It doesn't look very aerodynamic.

I really hate to say this but the prettiest electric cars are built in California

http://www.mygreenwheels.com/ev-comparison-guide/

(and I'm going to do my best to ignore this: )

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Put a cannon on that turret and it will look better. I like the additional cameras.

(and not say that Americans think anything looks better with a cannon on top or a handgun in the glove compartment.)

(Almost succeeded.)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 May 08

Originally posted by thyme

I really hate to say this but the prettiest electric cars are built in California

[b]Put a cannon on that turret and it will look better. I like the additional cameras.
...[text shortened]... ks better with a cannon on top or a handgun in the glove compartment.)

(Almost succeeded.)[/b]
Well, pretty is one thing, but I don't think they need to be terribly aerodynamically shaped, they won't go over 100 Klicks, it looks good enough for that. The other problem with that car is the range, 120 Km or about 75 miles. That makes it strictly a commuter car and not that great of one either, for instance, my job is about 32 Km one way or 64 Km round trip. So I can't even count on it to make two trips. So every night it would have to be recharged. What I wonder is exactly how much energy are we talking about, this recharge business?
With electicity at about 10 cents per Kw hour, if that range is correct and it can go 120 Km/hr, that means it has enough juice for one hour, and if it takes 30 Kw to run (don't know that for sure either) then it would be 30 Kw hours, sounds like just a few bucks, a lot better than gasoline, but don't know the exact energy details.
If those numbers are correct, it would be about 3 bucks for 120 klicks.
My voyager gets about 18 miles per gallon so 75 miles (120 Km) takes about 4 gallons and at 4 bucks a gallon, that is about 16 bucks for 75 miles or 120 km. That would equivalent to my voyager getting 100 miles per gallon, roughly. Assuming those numbers are correct.

t
Undutchable

was here

Moves
25 May 08

Well, pretty is one thing, but I don't think they need to be terribly aerodynamically shaped, they won't go over 100 Klicks, it looks good enough for that. The other problem with that car is the range, 120 Km or about 75 miles. That makes it strictly a commuter car and not that great of one either, for instance, my job is about 32 Km one way or 64 Km round ...[text shortened]... nt to my voyager getting 100 miles per gallon, roughly. Assuming those numbers are correct.
Did you look at the link in my post? There's a division between the urban cars and the intercities, your car looks very much the urban kind. I'd go for an intercity myself. Recharging every night would be possible but I've also heard ideas like exchanging the battery at fuel stations, and having the fuel stations recharge them. Even then, stopping every 120 km is a lot more hassle than the usual 450 - 500 km most traditional fuelled cars do. And of course it would only be worth it if the electricity was generated from a sustainable source.

I like this car:

http://www.nuonsolarteam.nl/flickrgallery

It's fast too, and the range depends entirely on the availability of sunlight. But it's not quite ready for the public yet.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 May 08

Did you look at the link in my post? There's a division between the urban cars and the intercities, your car looks very much the urban kind. I'd go for an intercity myself. Recharging every night would be possible but I've also heard ideas like exchanging the battery at fuel stations, and having the fuel stations recharge them. Even then, stopping every 120 km ...[text shortened]... ends entirely on the availability of sunlight. But it's not quite ready for the public yet.
That car was built for a specific purpose, but it seems to me it should be possible to build one more like a regular car with solar cells that charge up during the day, I am thinking of a commuter car here, where you park in the sun all day, collect energy, maybe enough to get home without plugging in to anything. In the future this may be more than possible, even probable I think. There was recently shown a development of solar cell paint which would make the whole thing possible. There is also work going on in batteries, li ion cells, that store ten times the power of presend day batteries. I think the electric car will be the wave of the future.

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 08

There is a new concept of 'commuter cars' that is going around where a city centre has a number of small cheap cars 'for hire'. You drive from home to the outskirts of the city then park and pick up a commuter car to get to your office. That way they do not need a large range and they can be on charge whenever nobody is using them and there are always fully charged ones available. My favorite are the ones designed to 'stackable'. Look up 'stackable cars' on google.
An alternative power source for such cars is compressed air though I don't know whether that technology will actually take off.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 May 08

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 May 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
There is a new concept of 'commuter cars' that is going around where a city centre has a number of small cheap cars 'for hire'. You drive from home to the outskirts of the city then park and pick up a commuter car to get to your office. That way they do not need a large range and they can be on charge whenever nobody is using them and there are always ful ...[text shortened]... s is compressed air though I don't know whether that technology will actually take off.
Actually, compressed air is not an alternative energy source, but an alternative energy battery. I think it will prove to be not as efficient as electrics for the simple reason compressed air has to have some kind of engine, piston, turbine, rotory, whatever, just like gasoline sans explosions of hydrocarbons.
I think electrics are still in infancy, there are new technologies right now in the labs, for instance, solar cell PAINT, getting power from your paint job. There is also research showing you can store ten times the energy in Lithium Ion cells. I see electrics as the way to go in another ten or twenty years. Solar cell paint, for a commuter car, collecting solar energy all day long parked at work or at home, maybe making it to work and back with just the energy of the sun. Wouldn't that be a great reality. I also see the coming resurgance of motor homes using that same kind of technology. Imagine a motor home, very light construction from carbon fibers, 30 foot long or so, solar cell paint collecting energy all day long, so you get in your MH, drive a few hundred klicks to a campground, stay a few days, meanwhile the MH is soaking up KWhrs from the sun, you go on your way with a fresh charge all from the sun. Lets start the company making those vehicles, eh!

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
26 May 08

[b]Put a cannon on that turret and it will look better. I like the additional cameras.
...[text shortened]... ks better with a cannon on top or a handgun in the glove compartment.)

(Almost succeeded.)[/b]
Dude. IT HAS A TURRET.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
26 May 08
4 edits

Well, pretty is one thing, but I don't think they need to be terribly aerodynamically shaped, they won't go over 100 Klicks, it looks good enough for that. The other problem with that car is the range, 120 Km or about 75 miles. That makes it strictly a commuter car and not that great of one either, for instance, my job is about 32 Km one way or 64 Km round nt to my voyager getting 100 miles per gallon, roughly. Assuming those numbers are correct.
The future is here now. This car should change most people's opinions of electric/gas hybrids. Sexy as hell car and it'll go for 500km with the on board gas tank. For around town you just use the electric motor and will never have to buy gas if your commute is 60km or less.

On sale next year boys!.....MSRP is about 34K (US). It's called the "Volt"

http://www.lazyenvironmentalist.com/Chevy%20Volt.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Chevrolet-Volt-DC.jpg

Cape Town

Moves
27 May 08

I have been trying hard and I can really think of a situation where rotating would be particularly useful. Much more useful is automatic parallel parking etc.

t
Undutchable

was here

Moves
27 May 08

Dude. IT HAS A TURRET.
So? Most likely it has a glove compartment too. What's u'r point, babe?

t
Undutchable

was here

Moves
27 May 08
1 edit

Well, pretty is one thing, but I don't think they need to be terribly aerodynamically shaped, they won't go over 100 Klicks, it looks good enough for that. The other problem with that car is the range, 120 Km or about 75 miles. That makes it strictly a commuter car and not that great of one either, for instance, my job is about 32 Km one way or 64 Km round nt to my voyager getting 100 miles per gallon, roughly. Assuming those numbers are correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

it says it "makes mileage in the RAV4EV the cost equivalent to a 111.1-mile-per-gallon small SUV (2.12 L/100 km)."

I have to compliment you on your estimating skills.

Apprently Ed Begly (resident in California) owns one of these.