What color is the bear?

What color is the bear?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
30 Sep 05
1 edit

A bear left her den, moved 1 mile southword, then 1 mile eastword, turned north and, after another mile, got back into her den.

What is the color of the bear?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Sep 05

Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
A bear left her den, moved 1 mile southword, then 1 mile eastword, turned north and, after another mile, got back into her den.

I'd think the bear would be white, being a polar bear living at the North Pole. 🙂

M

Moves
30 Sep 05

White, if it is an aboriginal bear. Although I am doubtful that there is a bear den exactly on the north pole. Making abstraction of that requirement, it could be any colour (you can find or make a bear of), and there are an infinite number of spots where this 'bear' could have a den, the northpole being just one of them.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
30 Sep 05

Cor! This little puzzle's at least thirty years old.

M

Moves
30 Sep 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
Says more about your (mental?) age than about the puzzle's.

L

Moves
30 Sep 05
2 edits

I know its old I picked it of another site. I thought it was funny because everyone (including the poster) seemed to know the answer while there is none.

The only good answer is: I dont know.

The bear can live anywhere and do what this one does and for all you know some idiot dyed her fur blue.

😀

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
30 Sep 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Says more about your (mental?) age than about the puzzle's.
How so? Do tell.

over your head

Moves
30 Sep 05

Little known fact - polar bears are black.

Well their skin is anyway, though obviously their hair is white! 😛

C

Earth Prime

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by Siskin
Little known fact - polar bears are black.

Well their skin is anyway, though obviously their hair is white! 😛
"Believe it or not, their fur isn't actually white. If you got up real close to a polar bear and plucked one of his hairs you would see that the polar bear's coat is made of clear, colorless hairs (and you would probably find out how powerful the bear is!). The hairs scatter light, making it appear white. If you were to pull out all of the polar bears hairs (which would really be stupid) you would see black skin underneath all that white fur."

http://www.extremescience.com/PolarBear.htm

*shrug*

R

Coachella Valley,CA

Moves
01 Oct 05
1 edit

The bear can live anywhere and do what this one does 😀
The bears den would have to be at the north pole for it to travel equal distances South, then Eeast, then North and be back at its den. Otherwise it would have to travle NorthWest to return to its den.

And its color: I don't know.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by Raw760
The bears den would have to be at the north pole for it to travel equal distances South, then Eeast, then North and be back at its den. Otherwise it would have to travle NorthWest to return to its den.

Or a mile from the South pole.

L

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by Raw760

This still does not say anything about its collor. But why can a bear not walk like that here in holland?

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
01 Oct 05

colour
Good to see someone spell this word correctly.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Oct 05

White, if it is an aboriginal bear. Although I am doubtful that there is a bear den exactly on the north pole. Making abstraction of that requirement, it could be any colour (you can find or make a bear of), and there are an infinite number of spots where this 'bear' could have a den, the northpole being just one of them.
An infinite number of spots? On *this* planet? Please explain.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Oct 05

colour

Good to see someone spell this word correctly.
What word? I see a collection of letters that *looks* like it might be the word color, only misspelled.