What color is the bear?

What color is the bear?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by Suzianne
What word? I see a collection of letters that *looks* like it might be the word color, only misspelled.
So please tell me, why, in your opinion, do Americans spell this word differently?*

*incorrectly.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
02 Oct 05

What word? I see a collection of letters that *looks* like it might be the word color, only misspelled.
I believe it was the Plumber who dropped the science on me with this one on another thread a few months back. I don't want to give it away outright, but imagine this: at most points south of the north pole, if the bear walks east 1 mile, it ends up 1 mile east of where it started - does this ever change? Try moving the bear south and see what happens...BTW, the south pole won't be a starting/stopping point for the bear because walking "east" at the south pole doesn't mean anything (unless you're syphilitic or clinically insane!).

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by PBE6
I believe it was the Plumber who dropped the science on me with this one on another thread a few months back. I don't want to give it away outright, but imagine this: at most points south of the north pole, if the bear walks east 1 mile, it ends up 1 mile east of where it started - does this ever change? Try moving the bear south and see what happens...BTW, ...[text shortened]... st" at the south pole doesn't mean anything (unless you're syphilitic or clinically insane!).
I was imprecise. It would be a mile north of the circle which was on the surface of the Earth, was centered on the north/south axis and had a circumferance of exactly one mile and was south of the Equator.

R

Coachella Valley,CA

Moves
02 Oct 05
3 edits

Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
This still does not say anything about its collor. But why can a bear not walk like that here in holland?
I never answered about the color.

Get a compass, a large field, and try it.
Walk long EQUAL distances SOUTH, EAST, then NORTH.
you will not return to the same spot with out going Northwest.

Your path would be like an open box.
The closer to the north pole, the closer you will return to you original position in this manner.
Unless you were at the north pole, this would not work.
Think about it.

Only at the Northpole will that work. because of the position of the poles.

Also think of this if you are at the North-Pole, you cannot go in any direction with out going a southernly direction.

You cannot go East or West from the North or South poles.

R

Coachella Valley,CA

Moves
02 Oct 05
3 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Or a mile from the South pole.
How would that work out?

If the bear were one mile from the SouthPole, there is no way it could follow the same path as in the question.

After the first mile south the bear would be at the south pole. After that he could not go in any other direction except a Northernly direction.

You cannot go East or West from the North or South poles.

M

Moves
02 Oct 05

An infinite number of spots? On *this* planet? Please explain.
Yes, the places where one can go 1 mile south, 1 mile east and 1 mile back north to arrive back at the starting point are:

1) the north pole

2) Near the south pole, all the points on the parallel which is one mile above the parallel that has a circumference of 1 mile

3) As in 2, but every parallel one mile above parallels with a circumference of a whole fraction (1/2, 1/3, 1/4, .....) of one mile.

k

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
A bear left her den, moved 1 mile southword, then 1 mile eastword, turned north and, after another mile, got back into her den.

What is the color of the bear?
The bear could be any colour that bears come in - providing that the den was more than a mile wide and the bear left it from the west wing.

r

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Yes, the places where one can go 1 mile south, 1 mile east and 1 mile back north to arrive back at the starting point are:

1) the north pole

2) Near the south pole, all the points on the parallel which is one mile above the parallel that has a circumference of 1 mile

3) As in 2, but every parallel one mile above parallels with a circumference of a whole fraction (1/2, 1/3, 1/4, .....) of one mile.
That is so clever. I never thought about 2 and 3. Very nice.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Oct 05

1) the north pole

This is indeed an elegant solution and not immediately grasped by many.

Except for one thing.

The first stipulation is that a bear left her den and walked this route.

There are no bears of any kind living on Antarctica.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
03 Oct 05

This is indeed an elegant solution and not immediately grasped by many.

Except for one thing.

The first stipulation is that a bear left her den and walked this route.

There are no bears of any kind living on Antarctica.
An excellent point, lost on none save the stupidest bear south of the equator.

R

Coachella Valley,CA

Moves
03 Oct 05
2 edits

1) the north pole

Clever indeed!

1. easy enough

2. Very clever

3. Pure genius.
Same idea as 2 I get, but I am still processing it.
So you would be making multiple trips round the smaller
circumference parallels, ending once again directly south of the
origin. The smaller the circumference(thus the closer to the
South pole, the more trips you make round!
That is my understanding sans math.
In answers 2 and 3, the path is no longer triangular.

So much for that puzzle.

M

Moves
03 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by PBE6
An excellent point, lost on none save the stupidest bear south of the equator.
That is correct. Therefor my initial answer above was: "White, if it is an aboriginal bear. Although I am doubtful that there is a bear den exactly on the north pole. Making abstraction of that requirement, it could be any colour (you can find or make a bear of), and there are an infinite number of spots where this 'bear' could have a den, the northpole being just one of them."

edit. That 'bear' would have a unique opportunity to meet his antipole 'friend' the pinguin, something which normally is possible only in a zoo.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
03 Oct 05

That is correct. Therefor my initial answer above was: "White, if it is an aboriginal bear. Although I am doubtful that there is a bear den exactly on the north pole. Making abstraction of that requirement, it could be any colour (you can find or make a bear of), and there are an infinite number of spots where this 'bear' could have a den, the northpole ...[text shortened]... to meet his antipole 'friend' the pinguin, something which normally is possible only in a zoo.
Yeah, there's probably no den there, just a bunch of American and British flags. Lousy patriots.

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
03 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
Good to see someone spell this word correctly.
There you go again Bowmann, with the spelling!

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
03 Oct 05

1) the north pole

I say Brooklyn that can be done, yes Brooklyn.