Anyone a Master of Physics?

Anyone a Master of Physics?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
The Rams

Moves
22 Sep 07
1 edit

This one might be the hardest yet...

Waves / Vibrations

13. An object is hung on a spring, and the frequency of oscilation of the system, f, is measured. The object, a second identical object, and the spring are carried to space in the Space Shuttle. The two objects are attached to the ends of the spring, and the system is taken into space on a space walk. The spring is extended, and the system is released to oscillate while floating in space. The coils of the spring do not bump into one another. What is the frequency of oscillation for this system, in terms of f?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
22 Sep 07

Originally posted by Ramned

Waves / Vibrations

[b]13. An object is hung on a spring, and the frequency of oscilation of the system, f, is measured. The object, a second identical object, and the spring are carried to space in the Space Shuttle. The two objects are attached to the ends of the spring, and the system is taken into sp ...[text shortened]... nto one another. What is the frequency of oscillation for this system, in terms of f?
[/b]
wow, this is much more complicated!

intuition says 1/2 f. the two objects are attached to the same spring. How is it any different than one object on one of the springs?

but, here is where it gets "wierd"

Now you are in space and "weightless" so the idea before, that the object was "falling down" and springing back up is probably irrelevant.

It's probably more like the object was on the spring and well, it oscillated level, like a ball on a table?

Maybe it doesn't even matter at all? maybe an object oscillating on a spring has the SAME frequency regardless of gravity!!!!

so, 1/2 f sounds right, except that assumes equal stretch and contraction. that wouldn't be right, though.

it's way way over my head! 🙄

R
The Rams

Moves
22 Sep 07

Nope 😉

This is tougher, I will admit.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Sep 07

Waves / Vibrations

[b]13. An object is hung on a spring, and the frequency of oscilation of the system, f, is measured. The object, a second identical object, and the spring are carried to space in the Space Shuttle. The two objects are attached to the ends of the spring, and the system is taken into sp ...[text shortened]... nto one another. What is the frequency of oscillation for this system, in terms of f?
[/b]
w=sqrt(k/m)=2.Pi.f Let's denote 2.Pi=a just to simplify notation. So w=sqrt(k/m)=a.f So f=sqrt(k/m)/a
f'=sqrt(k/m'😉/a=sqrt(k/2m)/a=1/sqrt(2)*sqrt(k/m)/a=f/sqrt(2)

And the symbols all have the usual meanings.

R
The Rams

Moves
22 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by adam warlock
w=sqrt(k/m)=2.Pi.f Let's denote 2.Pi=a just to simplify notation. So w=sqrt(k/m)=a.f So f=sqrt(k/m)/a
f'=sqrt(k/m'😉/a=sqrt(k/2m)/a=1/sqrt(2)*sqrt(k/m)/a=f/sqrt(2)

And the symbols all have the usual meanings.
What's your answer?

It's probably better to explain the concepts of that work (Which, I must admit, lost me a bit. B/C f can possibly mean force (F), frequency, or the notation in the problem f... ). 😛

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Sep 07

What's your answer?

It's probably better to explain the concepts of that work (Which, I must admit, lost me a bit. B/C f can possibly mean force (F), frequency, or the notation in the problem f... ). 😛
The answer is f over the square root of two.
And the symbols stand for:
w - angular frequency
sqrt() - square root
k - spring constant
m - mass
. is for multiplication
Pi is for the mathematical constant
f - frequency

Ps: Russ, please give us the math tabs! Pretty please!!! 😵

R
The Rams

Moves
22 Sep 07

The answer is f over the square root of two.
And the symbols stand for:
w - angular frequency
sqrt() - square root
k - spring constant
m - mass
. is for multiplication
Pi is for the mathematical constant
f - frequency

Ps: Russ, please give us the math tabs! Pretty please!!! 😵
So, are you saying that the system has a frequency higher than f by a factor of r(2)? That's what it looks like.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
22 Sep 07
1 edit

So, are you saying that the system has a frequency higher than f by a factor of r(2)? That's what it looks like.
No. I must be expressing myself wrong. I'm saing that the system has a frequency smaller by a factor of sqrt(2).
f over square root of 2 doesn't mean f dividing by the square root of 2?

R
The Rams

Moves
22 Sep 07
1 edit

No. I must be expressing myself wrong. I'm saing that the system has a frequency smaller by a factor of sqrt(2).
f over square root of 2 doesn't mean f dividing by the square root of 2?
ok, ok. I see. So - the clamped system of objects will vibrate with a frequency that is smaller than f by a factor of the sqrt of 2? That's your answer? I need to be sure...if you are correct, then it's going to be necessary to explain your answer in conceptual explanation rather than calculating.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
23 Sep 07

ok, and when you guys agree, please someone explain it! 🙂

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
23 Sep 07

ok, ok. I see. So - the clamped system of objects will vibrate with a frequency that is smaller than f by a factor of the sqrt of 2? That's your answer?
Yes.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07
2 edits

Yes.
lol , ok. I'm sorry for my ignorance 😛

That is actually incorrect. I don't know where you went wrong, but to hint, you are looking close. When the spring is set into oscillation in space, what's going on with the coil at the exact center? Answering that is perhaps how to begin to logically explain what's going on with the system (And determining the answer). Just a bit of a prompt, since this is a tough one.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
23 Sep 07

lol , ok. I'm sorry for my ignorance 😛

That is actually incorrect. I don't know where you went wrong, but to hint, you are looking close. When the spring is set into oscillation in space, what's going on with the coil at the exact center? Answering that is perhaps how to begin to logically explain what's going on with the system (And determining the answer). Just a bit of a prompt, since this is a tough one.
Ok. I din't thought that one long enough anyway. But I'll give a try now. Just wait a moment. If I go to bed I'll tell you.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
23 Sep 07

I'll have some sleep, it's 1:21 around here, and think about it.
Tomorrow I'll post something. Even if it is just me saying I couldn't crack it.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07
1 edit

I'll have some sleep, it's 1:21 around here, and think about it.
Tomorrow I'll post something. Even if it is just me saying I couldn't crack it.
lol, ok. Maybe someone else can help you. When I was taking my Physics course, I found waves / oscillations to be tough...