3 Prisoners

3 Prisoners

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
25 Feb 05
1 edit

If there were three prisoners and I had one get out of jail free card. What would each of thier chances being at gettin it? Keep the overall picture. Does this question make it easier? The answer is one in three. Great puzzle though. If my wife had one cookie to give to either me, my daughter or my friend, do I have a one in three chance of getting that cookie or one in two ? Using some of your peoples logic I have a half a chance because either my friend or daughter wont get the cookie.The answer of course is one in three. Either that or the wife eats it and we all get the shaft.

r

Moves
02 Mar 05

wow!!!!!!!

i

Moves
02 Mar 05

Yes, that's quite a thread, perhaps there's a way to keep it alive.

T

Moves
02 Mar 05
2 edits

Originally posted by ilywrin
Yes, that's quite a thread, perhaps there's a way to keep it alive.
We can try!

The prison governor has been fired for being too lenient. The new governor decrees that ALL three prisoners will be executed next week! In fact, they are told that they will be hanged on some day between Monday and Friday, but that they will not know on which day the hanging will occur before it happens. However, they reason that they cannot be hanged on Friday, because if they were still alive on Thursday, they would know that the hanging will occur on Friday, but they have been told they will not know the day of their hanging in advance. And they cannot be hanged on Thursday for the same reason, and the same argument shows that they cannot be hanged on any other weekday. So they fully expect to go free! Are they right?

i

Moves
04 Mar 05

Well it will become obvious by the end of the week but my instincts tell me no.

b

Lancashire

Moves
12 Mar 05

how do u start your own puzzle?😛 🙄 😏

Moves
12 Mar 05

Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
We can try!

The prison governor has been fired for being too lenient. The new governor decrees that ALL three prisoners will be executed next week! In fact, they are told that they will be hanged on some day between Monday and Friday, but that they will not know on which day the hanging will occur before it happens. However, they reason that they c ...[text shortened]... hat they cannot be hanged on any other weekday. So they fully expect to go free! Are they right?
The governor doesn't hang them on Mon--Thur, by Friday they absolutely expect to go free, so they are all quite surprised when they are hanged and so the governor is right after all.

T

Moves
12 Mar 05

Originally posted by bekkiiii
how do u start your own puzzle?😛 🙄 😏
Go to
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/newthread.php?forumid=13