skeeter

skeeter

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
26 Dec 10

Originally posted by andrew93
We don't lay that much claim to Russell Crowe - but well done to EinZweiDrei for Ernest Rutherford! (and Flight of the Conchords) There is a history buff.

We are only a small country of 4m people so it's not surprising people can't think of famous New Zealanders. However, depending on your field of interest, you may have heard of more New Zealanders t ...[text shortened]... ifferent to others who have recently been purged from this website.

Cheers, Andrew
I thought Munro was an aussie and Slight a brit.
Thanks for the education πŸ˜‰

toet.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
26 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Cheers - take pity on us.
Keep it as simple as the mates I've given.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=38
Very good GP. I wondered how long it would take for that game against Macroman to surface. Not one of my best and no 'mouse slip' defence there - pure blunder. I had reset my board ( and yes I still use my old Staunton sets on fold out boards ) from memory and had placed?? the King on e7 instead of e8. I looked at my notes and read "m2/Qc4+" ( mate in 2 with Queen c4 check )

Checking a last time I then saw the perceived mate in one ( the f6 escape now being attacked by the misplaced King ) and thought 'holy moly' - how did I miss that ??!!

Rush of blood - pulled up the game on the site and breaking all my rules played Qd6 and punched it in. Waiting for the ' game over, black wins, checkmate' screen and then to my horror the board resets and I see that my Queen is hung. Looked back at my board and realised only then what had happened. Very nearly resigned then and there but took a deep breath, had another look and saw that I still had a game with connected and passed pawns.

To my absolute amazement ( and relief ) Macro either missed the blunder or totally misread the position and the rest is history. Thought you and others might appreciate the background.

xxx M-

PS love your blogs

e4

Moves
27 Dec 10
1 edit

Hi Skeeter.

It's a good job it was unrated (a set postion - The Winawer) else you could
have lost a bucket load of points.

I could never understand how such silly blunders on here could be
made. You get to see your move before you press send.

"How on earth can anyone be so clumsy?" I use to ask myself.

Then when I writing my 2nd blog I was playing moves in my games
at the same time as I was putting it together.

I was actualy writing this:

Before you press SEND you really should scan the board for undefended
pieces you never know what ideas you may get or blunders you will avoid.

This position arose at the same time. Me (White to play) (Game 7560761)

I meant to play Qh4+ instead I played Qh3+??
I simply could not believe the position that greeted me.

Of course I resigned. 😳

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
27 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Skeeter.

It's a good job it was unrated ...
It was a rated tourney albeit a thematic ( French defense ) so I would have done some 30 odd points. Empathise with your posted game - I have a sticky on top of my monitor.

It goes : STOP!!

1. check for checks !
2. look at the position of both kings !
3. why am I making this move ?
4. turn the board around and do steps 1 thru 3 again.
5. DO NOT MOVE until steps 1 thru 4 have been satisfied.

...... and yet despite all of that I can still stuff it up.

Jesus wept

skeets

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
27 Dec 10

Given that you have already purloined some of my best finishes ( and we do need to talk about that ) I offer up this little match. Nothing startling but the history is interesting. January '04 and he fronts with the English. I hold him to book with an obscure Bremen line and then after some serious 'correct play' we are then presented with 'a blunder'. Strap me not but that boy had some 'deep' help and then pushed off.? Why? I have no idea but that's the way it played.

No doubt you'll find that game GP but do exercise a little discretion in how you run it.

xxx M-

e4

Moves
27 Dec 10

Ah. I thought these thematic tournaments were ungraded.
Shows you how much I know about the grading system.

Good advice about having a check list pinned on your monitor, suspect
most of the gang on here have a picture of Natalia Pogonina or Lara Croft
blue tacked to their monitors.

I'll see if I can find the game.

PR

Moves
27 Dec 10

...I find it strange how a player of your grade needs to put a "sticky" with 5-basic rules on your monitor?...i understand weak players doing such things but anyone above 1600?...Natalia Pogonina or Lara Croft?...well,what ever floats your boat i guess.

V

Moves
27 Dec 10

Originally posted by PAWN RIOT
...I find it strange how a player of your grade needs to put a "sticky" with 5-basic rules on your monitor?
I was also surprised to read that

STS

Moves
27 Dec 10

M
sorozatgyilkos

leΓΆlΓ©s ellenfeleim

Moves
27 Dec 10

The post that was quoted here has been removed
WOW ! πŸ™„

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
27 Dec 10

The post that was quoted here has been removed
By this logic, Bobby Fischer could never have been a strong chess player either.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 10
4 edits

Originally posted by nimzo5
By this logic, Bobby Fischer could never have been a strong chess player either.
why not? because he called it like it is? What strange claims did Fischer in fact make? that the Russians were cheating? That they talked amongst themselves illegally during games? That the Israeli government are not really screwing the Arab's in Palestine they just like taking their land because its good for them? That Kasparov was dishonest? That the American government has been lying through its teeth for years (enter Julian Assange telling us what we already knew) Which claim are you willing to deny πŸ™‚

Moves
27 Dec 10

This thread is heated. Please be careful about accusations, use feedback if there are concerns, have evidence. Please use the alert system if there are posts that should be erased or viewed by RHP admins.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 10

Originally posted by Forum Moderator
This thread is heated. Please be careful about accusations, use feedback if there are concerns, have evidence. Please use the alert system if there are posts that should be erased or viewed by RHP admins.
yes it is a little roasty toasty in here πŸ˜€

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Dec 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
why not? because he called it like it is? What strange claims did Fischer in fact make? that the Russians were cheating? That they talked amongst themselves illegally during games? That the Israeli government are not really screwing the Arab's in Palestine they just like taking their land because its good for them? That Kasparov was dishonest? ...[text shortened]... s (enter Julian Assange telling us what we already knew) Which claim are you willing to deny πŸ™‚
I think the reference was to post it notes. BF wrote extensively in margins of his books, had post it notes all over his work. I think that was the gist of it, not BF's distrust (well placed) of the Russians.