Russ, do you protect people from banning?

Russ, do you protect people from banning?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by Russ
This is actually because of a bug. Tournaments winners are declared automatically - but I have been forced to update a few tournament victors manually recently...
If the only problem is an insignificant glitch, which you have already fixed in other tournaments, why hasn't the 2007 Championship been "fixed," too?

C

Moves
06 Mar 08
1 edit

i agree most big sites will have engine users/cheaters.
the people who can catch cheaters basically need two things: basic chess theory and engine access to see who is or is not a cheater.

for example i can easily tell an engine user (after the game that is) as i have over 100+ engines including rybka, fritz, shredder, hiarcs, chessmaster (the king), etc. just analyze, do blunder check, and any other feature that will help.

now you take a couple games of a suspected cheater and analyze the game with at least 2 engines. if the moves match perfectly on more than one engine then the chances a person is using an engine is more evident.

with that said if a game lasts shorter (lets say 20 or less moves) and/or the difference in opponents ratings is huge it becomes harder to see even with the above technique. but certainly measures can be taken to at least ban some of the engine users.

*edit* i would like to add two more things:
1)a higher rated person would be able to tell an engine user (or at least suspect one) during a game as they have more chess knowledge. but one is not allowed to talk about games in progress. that is why the investigations and any banning need to be done after the game after it has been analyzed with engines.

2)some engines are starting to play more and more 'human like'. for example some engines can have a passive type of play, while other engines have an aggressive type of play, while others have a good balance of those two things or other things. obviously no engine can play exactly like a human for multiple games. unfortunetly that is where the trouble begins you need to analyze more then one or two games to see matching moves. additionally you need to check with at least two engines. this all takes a lot of time.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
i agree most big sites will have engine users/cheaters.
the people who can catch cheaters basically need two things: basic chess theory and engine access to see who is or is not a cheater.

for example i can easily tell an engine user (after the game that is) as i have over 100+ engines including rybka, fritz, shredder, hiarcs, chessmaster (the kin ...[text shortened]... above technique. but certainly measures can be taken to at least ban some of the engine users.
You have over 100 engines. I only have one and it is over 6 years old.

C

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by caissad4
You have over 100 engines. I only have one and it is over 6 years old.
well i did have two engines several years back starting with chess 1.0 (cant remember the exact name) and also battlechess.
several years after that i got chessmaster and fritz.
and now many engines are available free online and they are fairly small.
just add it to your chessbase/engine folder and you can have more then one. (obviously its your choice).
the purpose of having so many engines was to see which were the best.
but that became available on many websites. now i use mostly a few to analyze, study openings, keep my games in record, occasionally look for engine users, etc.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
well i did have two engines several years back starting with chess 1.0 (cant remember the exact name) and also battlechess.
several years after that i got chessmaster and fritz.
and now many engines are available free online and they are fairly small.
just add it to your chessbase/engine folder and you can have more then one. (obviously its your c ...[text shortened]... ew to analyze, study openings, keep my games in record, occasionally look for engine users, etc.
I have little interest in playing against chess engines. I am only a candidate master and most chess engines are stronger than me. To me, it is like training for a footrace then racing against a car. I do like the database in my CM8000. I found one of David Tebb's games in it. I have been playing OTB since 1971 and teaching chess almost as long and keep my own private list of computer cheats. Since I have been at RHP I would estimate that 1 out of every 10 opponents I play use an engine wholely or partially during the game.

C

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by caissad4
I have little interest in playing against chess engines. I am only a candidate master and most chess engines are stronger than me. To me, it is like training for a footrace then racing against a car. I do like the database in my CM8000. I found one of David Tebb's games in it. I have been playing OTB since 1971 and teaching chess almost as long and keep my ...[text shortened]... ate that 1 out of every 10 opponents I play use an engine wholely or partially during the game.
i have little interest in playing them as well especially when they are at full strength. you can always make the engine player weaker or choose another personality but then again it still doesnt feel as if you were playing a real person so little interest there too. that is the reason i play on several chess websites.

older engines are easier to beat (that is 10-20 years or older ones)
newer engines masters can have trouble with.
top engines gms can have trouble with.

it is interesting to say that 1/10 of your opponents use an engine at least some part or during the whole game. thats quite shocking...

A

Amsterdam

Moves
06 Mar 08

Back to basics

About

Moves
06 Mar 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Very good. That should end the witch hunt!

FL

Moves
06 Mar 08

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
06 Mar 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Even if the idea is a clean slate, there will be nothing stopping anyone from re-submitting an old complaint and the related evidence that they have gathered.

Immunity is only granted to those who have already been banned. I can assure you that game mods will not be giving out clearance certificates. Engine use can be detected, but it can never be ruled out.

So even if all existing game mod data is wiped clean, and I suspect it might be, there is nothing to prevent this from being one of the first cases considered by a new game mod team.

In arriving at any decision in the past, the Game Mods always worked on the basis of consensus. I suspect some of the admins thinking behind reconstituting the games mods is that a larger team reviewing each case will produce more legitimate results.

A

Amsterdam

Moves
06 Mar 08
1 edit

Moves
06 Mar 08

Users are reminded again NOT to name users when discussing cheating allegations in the forums.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by Forum Moderator
Users are reminded again NOT to name users when discussing cheating allegations in the forums.
Would it be alright to explain what the (most recent) moderated post explained, substituting names?

FL

Moves
06 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by wittywonka
Would it be alright to explain what the (most recent) moderated post explained, substituting names?
The original message was a forwarded e-mail from Chris saying that someone had _not_ been found guilty of any 3b infraction.

I asked if someone who was currently being investigated when the game mods system was scrapped would be immune from being investigated again when the new game mod system was in place.

Moves
06 Mar 08
2 edits

Hello Claus,
it is not my place to tell you what to do but I believe you are making a big mistake in just leaving this site.

As I told Amsterdam in a PM I did and do not believe you are a cheat. Not having played you personally it is more about what you did for this site and for your clan.

I think there is hardly anybody out there who is putting more time into making this site a better place for chessplayers to be on. You built one of the most admired clans on this site which of course reflects in clan performance and loyalty. Moreover do you put together stats on your own website every player likes to have a look at. Last but not least you even dedicate some of your time to being a gamemod which is not a job thats gives much in return.

Keeping all this in mind why should you use an engine to increase your rating by a few points. D.T. states that he does not believe you cheated in the first three years of your membership and you have been checked for that before being accepted on the mod team thus leaves a margin of what 50 points comparing your rating of those years and 2008?!

Why would anybody who has not lost his mind completely put his name, reputation and tremendous work on the line to gain so little? For being the 2008 Champion?

Much can be said about high match-ups but we all agree that it must be beyond reasonable doubt and this doubt is not just found in moves... players should also be judged for the action off the field and what you have done makes me believe you wouldn´t jeopardise that for gaining so little.

Some people who cheat on this site do it because they want to be respected, when you were accused of cheating you had long achieved that no matter what your rating is was or will be.

Thus don´t turn your back and give in to the witch hunt as shouldn´t the admins, because if you do we will have a no need for a gamemod team because everyone will know how to drive even veterans from this site.

Whatever you do all the best from me.

André