Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 Mar 06

Originally posted by Gambitzoid
The title of this thread is 'playing on in HOPELESS situations' and I would hardly call that situation hopeless.
That's the thing. Everyone defines 'hopeless' differently. A master might consider it hopeless to play an ending with a worse pawn structure, against a player of similar strength.

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
09 Mar 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
That's the thing. Everyone defines 'hopeless' differently. A master might consider it hopeless to play an ending with a worse pawn structure, against a player of similar strength.
And of course the only way an inexperienced player could objectively know the precise moment at which his hope has been expunged would be to use an engine.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
12 Mar 06

Originally posted by point
Some people are jerks who just want to make you work for the win. Some just play on in the hopes of getting a stalemate, and I'm sure some people are both. Look at it as practice.

Just don't get careless and stalemate them, it only encourages them.
Well, I just don't see why people play on in situations like the following: 1776520! I'm presently playing this game, and I guess this doesn't want to come to the reality that he has completely lost his rear end and the gunship as well! His rotor is spinning on its last axis. He's history! The last knight he has is dead as well on the next move. Oh well, such is the life of a patzer who won't resign for another month because he's scared to lose 25 points. 🙂
1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520

Hinesville, GA

Moves
12 Mar 06

Yes, but the CLASS PLAYERS should know when one player has a Queen and a rook, and the other play has 3 pawns and only his King, that it's time to call it quits. What will he gain by playing onward? A lesson in endgame strategy from the winning player? Perhaps a few useless pawn moves??? I just don't get it. 1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520 1776520

Where's the counterplay now?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
13 Mar 06

Originally posted by powershaker
Yes, but the CLASS PLAYERS should know when one player has a Queen and a rook, and the other play has 3 pawns and only his King, that it's time to call it quits. What will he gain by playing onward?

A win.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Mar 06

Well, I just don't see why people play on in situations like the following: 1776520! I'm presently playing this game, and I guess this doesn't want to come to the reality that he has completely lost his rear end and the gunship as well! His rotor is spinning on its last axis. He's history! The last knight he has is dead as well on the next move. Oh ...[text shortened]... r month because he's scared to lose 25 points. 🙂
Commenting on game in progress. Mods alerted.

D

SS

Moves
13 Mar 06

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
14 Mar 06

Sometimes I'll drop a piece or a pawn or two. Against a higher rated opponent I usually will resign (especially if it's a piece). With a lower rated opponent, I'll just continue to play as if nothing happened. Sometimes they get rattled and make a mistake in the next couple of moves. Winning a won game can sometimes be difficult. I just develop normally and stay away from exchanges. You never know what can happen!

j

Moves
14 Mar 06

Well, I just don't see why people play on in situations like the following: 1776520! I'm presently playing this game, and I guess this doesn't want to come to the reality that he has completely lost his rear end and the gunship as well! His rotor is spinning on its last axis. He's history! The last knight he has is dead as well on the next move. Oh ...[text shortened]... r month because he's scared to lose 25 points. 🙂
As I said in the other thread you attempted to slander me on, anyone else who has played me will tell you that I move quickly even when losing and resign as soon as I feel the game is beyond doubt. The rating points have nothing to do with it.

You attempted to tell me when to resign the game in question right after your winning queen sacrifice when I still felt that you hadn't shown me how you planned to put the game away. I explained my intention of seeing how I was to be finished only to be ridiculed, harassed, and accused of bad spirit. An action you've now continued here in the public forums. Quite full of class...

Call it petty or bad sportsmanship, but I was rudely treated, and I therefore feel that you can wait to win that game.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
14 Mar 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Just resign and stop wasting everyone's time!
I'm with Sicilian Smaug. Why play a lost game that even a 1000 rated player could win!

Hinesville, GA

Moves
14 Mar 06
1 edit

[fen]8/P7/2K5/8/k7/1rPP4/1q6/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

A win.
Sure, I know there's rare positions were three pawns can beat a Queen and a rook... Anything can happen in chess. But, those positions are so astronomically rare that the class player who has three pawns against a rook and a Queen should just call it quits. Any player under 1500 might give the reason as a learning situation. I guess that's okay. But, when players go above 1500, and they won't resign with three pawns and their king versus a whole army. That's crazy! It wastes time. It takes long enough to play a game on here.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
14 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Commenting on game in progress. Mods alerted.

D
Hello, you can talk about a game in progress, you just can't talk about the playing, and you can't get advice. You need to read your FAQ.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
14 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by jerbee47
As I said in the other thread you attempted to slander me on, anyone else who has played me will tell you that I move quickly even when losing and resign as soon as I feel the game is beyond doubt. The rating points have nothing to do with it.

You attempted to tell me when to resign the game in question right after your winning queen sacrifice when I st rtsmanship, but I was rudely treated, and I therefore feel that you can wait to win that game.
I never treated you in ill fashion. I just don't see your point. If you took it that way, I didn't mean it that way. But, good grief, just resign the game and let's get on with our lives. You might win the other one anyway. Don't cry over spilt pawns, brother. Goodness gracious. It's not that I ridiculed you. It's that you don't want to resign. Admit it! You're groveling over 25 points.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
14 Mar 06

Sure, I know there's rare positions were three pawns can beat a Queen and a rook... Anything can happen in chess. But, those positions are some astronomically rare that the class player who has three pawns against a rook and a Queen should just call it quits. Any player under 1500 might give the reason as a learning situation. I guess that's okay. Bu ...[text shortened]... a whole army. That's crazy! It wastes time. It takes long enough to play a game on here.
Once again, it's their choice. They can choose to resign their game at any point they want. If they want to play on to mate then they are quite within their rights to do so. In fact I encourage every single player playing against you to do exactly that.

Newsflash: You're a ignorant crybaby.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
14 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Once again, it's their choice. They can choose to resign their game at any point they want. If they want to play on to mate then they are quite within their rights to do so. In fact I encourage every single player playing against you to do exactly that.

Newsflash: You're a ignorant crybaby.
Liar Liar! Pants on fire! Hang your britches on a nail! Hang them high! Hang them low! Hang them on a Buffalo! HAHA!