Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Woah, generally how do you guys still find the game fun after 2 months have gone by and its still not over?

I would be sick of it, 2 months is alright.
Two months is blitz by correspondence standards. Two years is a more traditional expectation. I can tell you from experience that immense pleasure comes from a week's analysis while you wait for the postcard bearing your opponent's latest move. Then, a mere three days and you send a postcard the other way.

To move, and find it is my move again moments later, as often on this site, can be a little disheartening. Why play CC at all when you can rattle off twenty moves in one game in a single afternoon?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Not when you have plenty of other games to be worrying about.

D
I meant a game you are winning. I get ticked off if my opponent goes for a smoke, walk etc... when i'm winning in otb and he's doing it intentionally.

But 7 days for a winning game? plus 1 move per 7 days from your opponent instead on him resigning and the game could for a year almost. After that you would probably sick of the game and the victory wouldn't be as sweet.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Two months is blitz by correspondence standards. Two years is a more traditional expectation. I can tell you from experience that immense pleasure comes from a week's analysis while you wait for the postcard bearing your opponent's latest move. Then, a mere three days and you send a postcard the other way.

To move, and find it is my move again moments lat ...[text shortened]... ng. Why play CC at all when you can rattle off twenty moves in one game in a single afternoon?
They still do that postcard CC! Wow, man you got it good Wulebgr. That sounds so much funner. I read several columns on it. This master got very annoyed though when his postcard didn't come with comments but just the move. He had been playing since the 50's and loved the chat and meeting players etc... but one day he simply got 1.e4 and frankly he was _______. hahah.

I know what you mean though we quick moves. But then again for me, I'm simply here to improve my OTB and to have 1 game last a year is a waste for me. I play my games slowly and take my time with 1/7 if I have to be I learn from them and use the opening ideas in OTB games, so the more games I get through the more it helps my openings I think.

Edit: Ravello is the best to play chess with though. Man 2-3 days for 1 game to finish! Haha it was so fun, I send a move and within minutes he replys. I starting thinking he doesn't sleep since we are in different time zones.

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr

To move, and find it is my move again moments lat ...[text shortened]... ng. Why play CC at all when you can rattle off twenty moves in one game in a single afternoon?
i agree. i completed four rounds in the USCF golden knights cc back in the 70's. took me five years to complete! receiving a reply in a week would be considered fast via postcards. like you, i enjoyed analyzing and analyzing back in before-PC era. once i even spent the entire weekend analyzing one chess position. this is extreme, but slow postcard cc did help improve my chess understanding immensely.

Moves
27 Mar 06
2 edits

Hinesville, GA

Moves
28 Mar 06

Originally posted by wormwood
I just hit 1620 too, we'll see who get's to 1700 first. 🙂

not holding my breath though, I'll be perfectly happy if I manage to stay 1600+....
I've had a high of 1621. I should be back there soon. 🙂

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by powershaker
I've had a high of 1621. I should be back there soon. 🙂
Suspense, will it be shaker or wormwood.

Stay tuned. Place your bets!

z

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Suspense, will it be shaker or wormwood.

Stay tuned. Place your bets!
3 recs on neither of them being there by the end of May.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by zebano
It would be much easier for me to get to 1700 if I simply used a lot of non-subs. But, I'd rather get there playing players at least 1500+. Most of my opponents are in that area of strength, because I'm playing clan games. But, if I wanted to - like some people do so often - I could simply play a mess of subs and get to 1700 easily. But, what would that prove to myself? I'd rather get there playing people around my own strength, you know?

SL

Moves
08 Nov 07
1 edit

sorry,

Is the position hopeless?

(This position is from an OTB game played last week.)[/b]
sorry. pls. delete

STS

Moves
08 Nov 07
1 edit

Playing on in a hopeless position for the experience is one thing, dragging out the game until your time is almost expired before each move while moving in all your other games is another.
Check this game out.
http://www.timeforchess.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=4203282

STS

Moves
08 Nov 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Playing on in a hopeless position for the experience is one thing, dragging out the game until your time is almost expired before each move while moving in all your other games is another.
Check this game out.
http://www.timeforchess.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=4203282
This guy has three out of 6 games that are hopeless, and he's waiting until the last minute before moving in each of them, while he plays multiple times a day in his others. What's the best word that describes such behaviour?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Nov 07

Originally posted by zebano
1701 on may 2nd 2006, pay up! 🙂

H

San Diego

Moves
08 Nov 07
3 edits

Game 3972148
My opponent, who is a friend of mine, resigned when he thought it was hopeless. It was a won game indeed at that point, but I would have liked to be challenged to finish it. I think he would say that it was out of respect for me, and possibly also to clear a game slot for himself. But I did feel that I had lost the chance to confirm that I could complete a KPK ending and then a KQK ending without messing up and forcing stalemate. I also felt the loss of a chance to see the game to conclusion.

Earlier in the game, I was pretty certain that it was a draw, but neither one of us offered a draw at any point. I was hoping that my opponent, as good as he is, might slip up and give me a chance to win. He was probably hoping the same thing.

[Edit: I don't mean to say that my opponent was obligated to play on; I'm just giving an example of a perspective that is counter to the idea that a player should be offended when his or her opponent doesn't resign when expected.]

After 65 Ke2 g5 66 Kf1 Kh2 0-1