% of draws vs rating

% of draws vs rating

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
30 May 09

I wonder whether there is a graph of this somewhere showing games played by players at different ratings and the % of outcomes that are draws. I'd be interested in seeing that.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 May 09

it depends on horoscopes.

if your star sign is the leko or a kramnik, you draw. if your sign is the topalov or the tal, drawing is not your destiny.

cg

Seattle

Moves
30 May 09

I know personally, drawing has always been a rare thing (I think it's like 18 out of 403 games)

J

Moves
30 May 09

For the 1400+ database = 10.6%

For the 1900+ database = 27.2%

For the master's games database = 41.7%

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
30 May 09

Who cares, chess sucks

pp

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by patzer2007
I wonder whether there is a graph of this somewhere showing games played by players at different ratings and the % of outcomes that are draws. I'd be interested in seeing that.
I'm pretty sure there would be a strong correlation between the two. the stronger one gets, the more respect he has for the opponent, and the more accurately he assesses his winning chances in positions.

S

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by philidor position
I'm pretty sure there would be a strong correlation between the two. the stronger one gets, the more respect he has for the opponent, and the more accurately he assesses his winning chances in positions.
Depends on style of play/opening selection as well though.

C

Moves
30 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
it depends on horoscopes.

if your star sign is the leko or a kramnik, you draw. if your sign is the topalov or the tal, drawing is not your destiny.
You must be kidding a wee bit must you? I'm glad you moved from crack mountain, it was difficult to make sense of your incoherent babbles. This reply shows that, that stuff takes a wee bit of time to get out of your system.

MR

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by patzer2007
Only USCF ratings for 1997, but maybe this link will hold your interest. 🙂

http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/ratings/Draws.jpg

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by Jasen777
For the 1400+ database = 10.6%

For the 1900+ database = 27.2%

For the master's games database = 41.7%
my drawing percentage was 4.7% at 1600. at 2000 it's 5.0%.

not much change there.

I think it's much more about how much of a risk taker a player is, than how strong you are.

pp

Moves
30 May 09
1 edit

my drawing percentage was 4.7% at 1600. at 2000 it's 5.0%.

not much change there.

I think it's much more about how much of a risk taker a player is, than how strong you are.
that is of course the most important factor for individuals. but in general, I would expect the average percentage get higher in large groups, especially on the way to grandmaster strength. .

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
30 May 09
1 edit

I am at 5.75%. I don't get a lot of draw offers, and I play most games to the end in hopes of a stalemate like this one: Game 6058263

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 May 09
2 edits

Originally posted by philidor position
that is of course the most important factor for individuals. but in general, I would expect the average percentage get higher in large groups, especially on the way to grandmaster strength. .
actually, it's been shown that aggressive style scores (slightly) more points, on grandmaster level. it was studied a couple of years ago.

found it. well, a chessbase bit on it to be exact.

Embracing Risk in Tournaments:
http://www.chessbase.de/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3528

J

Moves
30 May 09

I think better players are less likely to make blunders, thus causing more draws. At least on the amateur level.

S

Dublin

Moves
30 May 09

actually, it's been shown that aggressive style scores (slightly) more points, on grandmaster level. it was studied a couple of years ago.

found it. well, a chessbase bit on it to be exact.

Embracing Risk in Tournaments:
http://www.chessbase.de/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3528
That link just says that more aggressive players win more tournaments than players who draw more often, which is pretty obvious. It doesn't say they get better scores overall.