1. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    13 Feb '20 19:03
    Is there a way of castling when using the analysis feature - apart from doing 2 moves without one from the opponent in between?
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Feb '20 19:431 edit

Removed by poster

3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 00:31
    @webwiz said
    Is there a way of castling when using the analysis feature - apart from doing 2 moves without one from the opponent in between?
    Remove the castling rook from the board, for example if you want to castle kingside take the h1 rook completely off the board. Pick up one of the rooks from the selection at the bottom and place it on the castle's target square, so in our example on f1. Then move the king two squares as you would normally, i.e. x) Ke1 - g1. This ensures that the move count in the analysis history is correct. You can move the king first, but for some reason the analysis board feature counts the rook replacement as belonging to the opponent's move immediately after castling.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 12:22
    @webwiz said
    Just castle as you would otb, moving the rook and the king to their castled squares.
    Yoy don't need to involve the opponents pieces
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 19:38
    Russ, please make all boards play by the rules!
  6. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 11:41
    @venda said
    Just castle as you would otb, moving the rook and the king to their castled squares.
    Yoy don't need to involve the opponents pieces
    Badly phrased. what I mean is that the analysis shows 2 moves by me without any move by my opponent in between. Just looks odd.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 11:42
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Have I broken a rule? Which one?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 15:26
    @webwiz said
    Have I broken a rule? Which one?
    No, you have not.

By boards, I meant CHESS boards.

One shouldn't actually have to move the Rook to castle.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 15:51
    @BigDoggProblem
    I think in OTB if one intends to castle you move the king two moves over and then move the rook because if you accidentally move the king one move over and let loose the king for a moment for some reason, the opponent can say touch move and call the judges over and say he let go so you need to make sure you do a two move with king which would normally be an illegal move THEN move the rook.
  10. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 16:241 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @BigDoggProblem
    I think in OTB if one intends to castle you move the king two moves over and then move the rook because if you accidentally move the king one move over and let loose the king for a moment for some reason, the opponent can say touch move and call the judges over and say he let go so you need to make sure you do a two move with king which would normally be an illegal move THEN move the rook.
    Just to fine tune this a bit, the king is moved first because if you move the rook first, that is a complete and legal move and must stand as played the instant you release the rook.

If you move the king two squares, however, that is legal *only* if it is part of castling, therefore it is not a *complete* move until the rook is also placed on its new square.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 06:44
  12. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 19:32
    Gentlemen, I asked this question at the beginning of the this thread some time ago on the development site section.

For me & amount of people here it would be of great benefit.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 19:11
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Please do not! One of the strong points of an analysis board is the ability to fantasise about "what if"s. If everything had to go by the rules now, here and then, we wouldn't be able to play through potential scenarios as much.

The Analysis board isn't there to tell you what you're allowed to - that;s what Fritz is for. Analysis is for checking wild ideas and getting bugs out of your mind. Being allowed to make "but perhaps" moves is an important part of that.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 19:591 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    Please do not! One of the strong points of an analysis board is the ability to fantasise about "what if"s. If everything had to go by the rules now, here and then, we wouldn't be able to play through potential scenarios as much.

The Analysis board isn't there to tell you what you're allowed to - that;s what Fritz is for. Analysis is for checking wild ideas and getting bugs out of your mind. Being allowed to make "but perhaps" moves is an important part of that.
    You can do ALL of that with boards that follow the rules of chess. It's actually better to do so, because the opponent just doesn't sit there and let your plan happen.

I know the rules quite well. I don't need the analysis board to help me there. What I need is for the analysis board's actions to match the rules I know already.

It's ridiculous to:
    - have to move both K and R to castle
    - have to play two moves in a row by the same side
    - have to capture en passant, then clumsily, somehow, remove the enemy pawn, which should simply vanish

I rarely use the analysis board here for these, and other reasons. It's not designed for serious players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree