1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 18:06
    There is some electricity misinformation being put forth. Is the energy from electricity transported by electrons directly or indirectly through the magnetic field the electrons create?

YouTube
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 21:49
    @Metal-Brain
    Nothing or little to do with magnetic fields, electrons are pushed by electrons.
    That is called a CHARGE. You charge up electrons, aim them at another electron and they repel. Pretty simple and it doesn't matter if they are in free space or in a conductor, it is the electrical field of the electrons which is imparted by a voltage drop across the wire or electric field lines accelerating a single electron, THAT IS WHAT ACCELERATES electrons.

Magnetic fields have a totally different job and effect.

You take an electron in free space say, encounters a magnetic field.

What happens there is the electron tries to spin around the magnetic field, it gets turned ONLY by that field.

That is how we move ion beams around in our ion implanters.

This is an area of my expertise, LONG time in the semiconductor field.
    Electrons ONLY accelerate under the stress of electric fields,
    electrons ONLY get swished sideways by magnetic fields
    but besides that, in say a copper, or silver wire there is little external magnetic field and because there are so many possible magnetic fields around each atom that an electron say swishes one way, passes another atom, swishes back the other way and so ends up at the other end of the wire.
    This is of course a simplification but the end result is an electron flying through a wire bounces around so much that instead of going the speed of light, they effectively go about 1/10th c, both by inelastic collisions and encounters with tiny magnetic forces but it still works out, our motors and TV's work in spite of the slow speed of electrons in wires compared to electrons in free space, like in a particle accelerator, like the big boys in CERN or in our ion implanters, electrons there will fly down in a vacuum and thus have very little in the way of encounters with magnetic fields OR other atoms which would cause said electrons to take longer paths than if nothing was in the way.
    That is how they can get electrons to VERY VERY close to c in a chamber.

Now magnetic fields are very useful in our ion implanters AND the big boys at CERN, they STEER electrons.

At CERN, they fly around a loop many miles in circumference and electrons want to travel in straight lines, well following the spacetime curves of gravity, but otherwise straight lines, and ONLY steer off if encountering a magnetic field.

That's my story and I am sticking with it.
  3. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 23:23
    @metal-brain said
    There is some electricity misinformation being put forth. Is the energy from electricity transported by electrons directly or indirectly through the magnetic field the electrons create?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIhgxav9LY
    I recall a professor once told us that in those high-voltage power lines most of the power transport actually happens in the electric field around the wires. That made me scratch my head a bit.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 01:21
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Nothing or little to do with magnetic fields, electrons are pushed by electrons.
    That is called a CHARGE. You charge up electrons, aim them at another electron and they repel. Pretty simple and it doesn't matter if they are in free space or in a conductor, it is the electrical field of the electrons which is imparted by a voltage drop across the wire or electr ...[text shortened]... , and ONLY steer off if encountering a magnetic field.

That's my story and I am sticking with it.
    Is the energy from electricity transported by electrons directly or indirectly through the magnetic field the electrons create?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 06:26
    @Metal-Brain
    In other words you didn't read my bit.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 07:34
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    In other words you didn't read my bit.
    Your "bit" as you called it is a long winded vagueness that isn't even entirely accurate. Magnetic fields push electrons.

I can only guess you disagree with the guy on that video I posted, but I doubt you even watched it. Do you have an alternative explanation for why a transatlantic steel wrapped cable for Morse code didn't work well? He claimed it was because it interfered with the magnetic field.

Did you watch the video or not?

You didn't have to write a book to answer my question. Do electrons directly transport energy or do they indirectly transport energy through the magnetic field they create? Directly or indirectly? Which is it?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 08:38
    @Metal-Brain
    I would think nobody knows the answer to that any more than I already told you.
    Mag fields CAN accel electrons but I can tell you it is a LOT easier to just boost them with volts. You have to go through hoops to force a bending field into a flinging field, but like waves on the water, another kind of field, makes stuff move as the surfers found out.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 16:56
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I would think nobody knows the answer to that any more than I already told you.
    Mag fields CAN accel electrons but I can tell you it is a LOT easier to just boost them with volts. You have to go through hoops to force a bending field into a flinging field, but like waves on the water, another kind of field, makes stuff move as the surfers found out.
    "Mag fields CAN accel electrons but I can tell you it is a LOT easier to just boost them with volts"

How do you think they boost them with volts?
    Look up "Tesla Coil".
    You are like a pool player that denies his cue stick ever comes in contact with the cue ball. What do you think those wires wrapped around the coil do?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 17:39
    @Metal-Brain
    I kind of figured you were not after actual answers, only want to inject your idea of wisdom.

I assume you figure I know nothing and therefore don't need to read any of my posts.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 20:46
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I kind of figured you were not after actual answers, only want to inject your idea of wisdom.

I assume you figure I know nothing and therefore don't need to read any of my posts.
    Look up "Tesla Coil".
    What do you think those wires wrapped around the coil do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 21:222 edits
    @Metal-Brain
    Jeusus H Krist. You think I don't know what a TESLA COIL IS? HINT: I started studying electronics at age FIVE. I BUILT a tesla coil, made about 30,000 volts with it, when I was 12.
    Do YOU know what a Tesla coil is? It is a frigging TRANSFORMER.

No different from a wall wart cell phone charger which has to have one to convert 120 to 10 or so volts and then to DC but of course with thousands or even millions of volts. I saw a million volt Tesla coil running at Cal Tech, pretty impressive.

Don't see what YOU see so mysterious about them.

You are being deliberately misleading, you have no interest in actually learning and it is clear it was a waste of time and effort to talk about electron and ion accelerators.

You clearly are on to yet another of your conspiracy theories which you no doubt will be more than happy to explain.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 21:371 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Jeusus H Krist. You think I don't know what a TESLA COIL IS? HINT: I started studying electronics at age FIVE. I BUILT a tesla coil, made about 30,000 volts with it, when I was 12.
    Do YOU know what a Tesla coil is? It is a frigging TRANSFORMER.

No different from a wall wart cell phone charger which has to have one to convert 120 to 10 or so volts and then ...[text shortened]... on to yet another of your conspiracy theories which you no doubt will be more than happy to explain.
    I don't think you know how a Tesla coil works.
    You could prove you do by explaining how it works, but you don't seem capable of that. Magnetic fields drive electrons. Tesla coils produce magnetic fields to step up voltage.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 21:42
    @Metal-Brain
    It doesn't matter WHAT I say about tesla coils. Did you actually read the part where I said it was a frigging TRANSFORMER? Do you even know what a TRANSFORMER IS?
    Whatever you are going to puke out with your latest conspiracy theory, why don't you just go on and do it since you have no interest in either discussing or learning magnetic fields or electricity.

Also I resent you saying you don't think I know what a tesla coil is. I know exactly what they are, and I BUILT ONE and another kind of electrostatic generator but you are clearly not interested in any of that OR my ham gear, I got my first ham license when I was 13 and now have the highest license now called 'Amateur Extra' a pretty intense test I can tell you.

So give me your best shot here, what is it your buddy knows that we don't?
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 21:55
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    It doesn't matter WHAT I say about tesla coils. Did you actually read the part where I said it was a frigging TRANSFORMER? Do you even know what a TRANSFORMER IS?
    Whatever you are going to puke out with your latest conspiracy theory, why don't you just go on and do it since you have no interest in either discussing or learning magnetic fields or electricity.
    ...[text shortened]... e test I can tell you.

So give me your best shot here, what is it your buddy knows that we don't?
    The video in my OP covers transformers you twit.
    Why didn't you watch the video?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '21 22:341 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    Synopsis please, If I like that maybe I will watch your video. Why don't you just come out and say whatever it is you are going to push on this and get that part over with.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree