1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:14
    @they said
    Fair enough - but it's one day. And the thumbs down aren't the point - my mouse is as active as any other. It's creating something together.

I was a high school chess coach for many years and always taught that the other player was not your enemy - they are your partner. Together you are going to create something that has never happened before. That is the General Forum. We ...[text shortened]... as a good idea (or did I - not sure?) But what if? 24 hours. You have to admit it would be amazing.
    Congratulations on teaching kids to play chess!

How ever we see things much differently your opponent is not your partner a partner helps you. The opponent is out to beat you as you are him. You could learn things from each other having said that of course.

In GF I would not call us all partners, some don't even play chess just socialize in the forums or stir the pot, personally I do both play chess and stir the pot. πŸ˜‰

-VR
  2. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:15
    @they said
    Fair enough - but it's one day. And the thumbs down aren't the point - my mouse is as active as any other. It's creating something together.

I was a high school chess coach for many years and always taught that the other player was not your enemy - they are your partner. Together you are going to create something that has never happened before. That is the General Forum. We ...[text shortened]... as a good idea (or did I - not sure?) But what if? 24 hours. You have to admit it would be amazing.
    Thumbs up are a good indication of good posts/posters. Thumbs down are usually dished out to the same posters who carry on regardless and retaliate by thumbing down other posters.

I'm all for a thumbs down free day.

In unrelated business I shall avoid Rusty's post's.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:181 edit
    @neilarini said
    Thumbs up are a good indication of good posts/posters. Thumbs down are usually dished out to the same posters who carry on regardless and retaliate by thumbing down other posters.

I'm all for a thumbs down free day.

In unrelated business I shall avoid Rusty's post's.
    Why even mention my name, are you that use to thumbing down my posts to stay in with the little group? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

EDIT: I do however enjoy playing chess against you! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:38
    @they said

No harm in doing it for a day.

Apart from a spell at school I just took up chess when I joined this site. Some games are like two people creating an amazing puzzle and ultimately it seems to be the shape of the puzzle that decides the outcome. That's happened on a few occasions for me where both players were happy with what they had created between them. I like the really good battles, but I think you have to really want to beat your opponent for one of those to break out. Maybe there needs to be some other word that is neither enemy or partner.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:39
    @hells-caretaker said
    Funny, can someone thumb this comment down please? Many thanks🚬
    You're welcome! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:40
    @relentless-red said
    No harm in doing it for a day.

Apart from a spell at school I just took up chess when I joined this site. Some games are like two people creating an amazing puzzle and ultimately it seems to be the shape of the puzzle that decides the outcome. That's happened on a few occasions for me where both players were happy with what they had created between them. I like the ...[text shortened]... one of those to break out. Maybe there needs to be some other word that is neither enemy or partner.
    I think they have one called "Opponent"! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:51
    @very-rusty said
    Why even mention my name, are you that use to thumbing down my posts to stay in with the little group? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

-VR
    @very-rusty said
    I gave you that thumbs down just for the hell of it rookie.

- VR

i get a lil kick outta hypocrites doing the hypocrite thingie

@they
    at this time in space, i shall not be participating in yer endeavour

best of luck
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 15:551 edit
    @rookie54 said
    [quote]@very-rusty said

best of luck
    rookie54,
    It wouldn't be as much fun if you didn't react to me giving you a thumb down, after all how many have you gave me?.....LOL....

Oh another thumb down from me just for you rookie! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  9. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 12:35
    @rookie54 said
    @very-rusty said

- VR

i get a lil kick outta hypocrites doing the hypocrite thingie

@they
    at this time in space, i shall not be participating in yer endeavour

best of luck
    Thank you @rookie54 - a little luck goes a long way these days.

Thank you all for the conversation. This idea probably isn't original - there is nothing new under the sun - but it's a bit of fun. At least that is what I intended.

Less than 12 hours to go - and then hopefully we will see you all on the other side.

TID - for the good of the cause.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 13:253 edits
    OH Yea, I did wish you good luck didn't I? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

By the way it is at less than 12 hours away your time at the time of your posting....Keep in mind there are people from different parts of the world in different time Zones!!!!

Jeeze, I would think you'd already be aware of that FACT!!!!

-VR
  11. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 13:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 14:00
    @very-rusty said
    OH Yea, I did wish you good luck didn't I? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

By the way it is at less than 12 hours away your time at the time of your posting....Keep in mind there are people from different parts of the world in different time Zones!!!!

Jeeze, I would think you'd already be aware of that FACT!!!!

-VR
    Are you talking to me? I am in Wisconsin - it is 8 in the morning. I was talking about the site clock - GMT.

If you wished me good luck thank you. Kind of a hostile post - did I offend you?

A
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 14:08
    only a few hours before TGW
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 14:10
    @they said
    Many forum denizens (OP included) get thumbs down on all posts - content not-withstanding. Fun.

But what if there was one day a year where we could post any drivel or half-baked idea without repercussion? What if there was a Thumbs Immunity Day? One day where we don't have to see the public slap in the face for trying to participate in this milieu.

Maybe it is a bridge ...[text shortened]... d be an annual event. Give your mouse a day off. Take the pledge. So far we have one:

@they

A
    I have another Suggestion:

Please post on 1st of December only meaningful, friendly Posts.

Consequence: no red thumbs required. Problem solved.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 16:38
    @ponderable said
    I have another Suggestion:

Please post on 1st of December only meaningful, friendly Posts.

Consequence: no red thumbs required. Problem solved.
    What are you talking about.

I posted about flowers and it might be the most thumbs down I ever got, just to prove a point that it is not what is said but who is saying it. πŸ˜‰ I believe it went into double digits.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree