1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 23:143 edits
    @great-big-stees said
    Indeed. Might I suggest that, as you seem, to me, to have a grip on good food that you apply for the position of sous chef?
    Sir, I am honored that you would even suggest that.

As you might know, I tend to overthink things, and a reservation I have is that this might sow the seeds for resentment and maybe even knife fights in the kitchen, e.g., if I end up doing the thankless grunt work in support of poorly conceived menu ideas, or conversely, if I am the one who ends up setting the menu and coming up with popular novelties, thereby upstaging the main chef.

I don't have the skills or equanimity of a Jacques Pépin, so I'm not suited to be the top chef of The Tavern.

Hm. Hm hm hmm. Maybe I could also consider it a kind of practice. Saturn is a key planet in my chart, and it is currently in opposition to the Sun*, so I'll take a chance and say yes.

I understand I would be on probation until things go horribly wrong, but let's give it a try nonetheless. 🙂

-----
    * From Earth's POV. My Arcturian friends are probably laughing at me.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 09:10
    @kevin-eleven said
    Sir, I am honored that you would even suggest that.

As you might know, I tend to overthink things, and a reservation I have is that this might sow the seeds for resentment and maybe even knife fights in the kitchen, e.g., if I end up doing the thankless grunt work in support of poorly conceived menu ideas, or conversely, if I am the one who ends up setting the menu a ...[text shortened]... try nonetheless. 🙂

-----
    * From Earth's POV. My Arcturian friends are probably laughing at me.
    Good choice. A win-win situation - you will be happy with us, we will be happy with you.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 11:58
    @torunn said
    Good choice. A win-win situation - you will be happy with us, we will be happy with you.
    My dear torunn, let’s just see how it plays out, for a while, before jumping to conclusions and see that Chef makes sure Kevin is only allowed to use the dull knives to start with.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 14:20
    @great-big-stees said
    My dear torunn, let’s just see how it plays out, for a while, before jumping to conclusions and see that Chef makes sure Kevin is only allowed to use the dull knives to start with.
    Dull knives really sound useful in a kitchen. 😉

-VR
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 22:18
    @very-rusty said
    Dull knives really sound useful in a kitchen. 😉

-VR
    They are used for “crushing” garlic.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 12:29
    @great-big-stees said
    Ok, you will know how to handle this, I wait for the results. 🙂
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 12:52
    @torunn said
    Ok, you will know how to handle this, I wait for the results. 🙂
    I’m afraid that, due to my entering a golf tourney today, you’ll have to deal with it. I have complete trust in your ability to handle this...don’t let me down.🙈😉
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 13:07
    @great-big-stees said
    I’m afraid that, due to my entering a golf tourney today, you’ll have to deal with it. I have complete trust in your ability to handle this...don’t let me down.🙈😉
    No problem, I trust him.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 20:01
    @great-big-stees said
    Finally a golf tourney, you must be jumping in joy!

-VR
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Aug '21 20:02
    @great-big-stees said
    They are used for “crushing” garlic.
    LOL....OK Stees! 🙂

-VR
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 01:17
    OK, so for lack of other tasks that might require the skills of a beginner on probation (e.g., PB&J sandwiches), I have peeled and smashed about 10 pounds of garlic. Hoping the Tavern can find a use for all this.

Chef isn't talking to me (only glares) so I'm wondering if maybe I should pickle half of the smashed garlic and maybe jar up the rest with some good but not top-quality olive oil?
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 07:13
    @kevin-eleven said
    OK, so for lack of other tasks that might require the skills of a beginner on probation (e.g., PB&J sandwiches), I have peeled and smashed about 10 pounds of garlic. Hoping the Tavern can find a use for all this.

Chef isn't talking to me (only glares) so I'm wondering if maybe I should pickle half of the smashed garlic and maybe jar up the rest with some good but not top-quality olive oil?
    Great idea, we could never find the time to do that. I will have a talk with our chef and see what fails him.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 12:20
    @very-rusty said
    Finally a golf tourney, you must be jumping in joy!

-VR
    It was a fun day.👍🍺
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 12:22
    @torunn said
    Great idea, we could never find the time to do that. I will have a talk with our chef and see what fails him.
    How’d the talk go? He can, at times, be a bit...unforgiving.😲
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 12:351 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    How’d the talk go? He can, at times, be a bit...unforgiving.😲
    He may seem an unreasonable man, insists on sticking to his principles but he is also very creative. He may get along very well with Kevin once they get to know each other. What about them garlics?
    I might add that I find most men unreasonable and will not have a problem for that reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree