1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 11:34
    @petewxyz said
    You should start a Swedish language club/thread on RHP where people come and have simple conversations until they slowly start to learn it. Although if they are progressing whilst never hearing the words said that could lead to disaster if they ever tried to speak it. Months of experience at hearing it all wrong in their minds possibly. Stick to English maybe??

When you ...[text shortened]... different imagined accent in your mind or does it just sound like they are speaking with your voice?
    I hear my own voice. I do, with some of my "friends" hear on RHP, ask, after a time, if they are willing to exchange phone numbers and thus allowing each of us to actually hear our accents. After that when I read their responses to threads or the banter within games it's their voices I hear.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 11:46
    @great-big-stees said
    I hear my own voice. I do, with some of my "friends" hear on RHP, ask, after a time, if they are willing to exchange phone numbers and thus allowing each of us to actually hear our accents. After that when I read their responses to threads or the banter within games it's their voices I hear.
    When I first subscribed I hadn't used the forums and I think that made a difference to what I heard in my mind, but the opposite way to what I would have imagined. As people became more real to me I would hear my own voice. At first when people were just an opponent with a flag and nothing else I found myself imaging what they might be planning as if creating an imagined opponent in my mind. (Sounds pretty crazy when you see it written down. Oh well why not post anyway. Stees what if I just do that philosophy in action!)
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 11:50
    @petewxyz said
    When I first subscribed I hadn't used the forums and I think that made a difference to what I heard in my mind, but the opposite way to what I would have imagined. As people became more real to me I would hear my own voice. At first when people were just an opponent with a flag and nothing else I found myself imaging what they might be planning as if creating an imagined opp ...[text shortened]... ee it written down. Oh well why not post anyway. Stees what if I just do that philosophy in action!)
    Pete, you do what ya wanna do and no explanation needed. 😉
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 14:42
    I've been sticking around these threads for many years, well over a decade now and you don't really get to know someone not like you would in person. I've spoken to one person over the telephone and we got along great talked for about 2 hours. Sounded nothing like I thought he would, or did I to what he thought I would. Everyone has a story to tell and I don't go by what people say behind their keyboard.

-VR
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:161 edit
    @petewxyz said
    You should start a Swedish language club/thread on RHP where people come and have simple conversations until they slowly start to learn it. Although if they are progressing whilst never hearing the words said that could lead to disaster if they ever tried to speak it. Months of experience at hearing it all wrong in their minds possibly. Stick to English maybe??

When you ...[text shortened]... different imagined accent in your mind or does it just sound like they are speaking with your voice?
    A couple of voices I know from verbal contacts. Some of you, I imagine how you might sound. I figure you, Peter, may speak fast, HandyAndy speak slow, and so on.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:25
    @torunn said
    A couple of voices I know from verbal contacts. Some of you, I imagine how you might sound. I figure you may speak fast, HandyAndy speak slow, and so on.
    That's interesting. I'm guessing that's because I use too many words through being new to forum posting so I wonder if you imagine it's said fast to get so many words out in one go. I'm probably slow side of average, but since HandyAndy does short posts at a low frequency, if that goes with slow I guess I would seem opposite.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:271 edit
    @petewxyz said
    That's interesting. I'm guessing that's because I use too many words through being new to forum posting so I wonder if you imagine it's said fast to get so many words out in one go. I'm probably slow side of average, but since HandyAndy does short posts at a low frequency, if that goes with slow I guess I would seem opposite.
    Yes, you seem to have much to say, not wanting to forget anything. 🙂 It's just an impression I have, you use many words but not too many.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:303 edits
    @petewxyz said
    Those who were at the BBQ Phlabs held would know exactly how Andy spoke and could tell you. How can you imagine how someone would speak because they do short posts or longer posts? I really don't see the logic to saying that even. I always stick to saying what is on my mine even out in the real world.
    I've never been known to shy away from a conversation because others may not agree with my view on how I see things. I really believe people care too much about what others think of them.

-VR
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:39
    @very-rusty said
    Those who were at the BBQ Phlabs held would knoe exactly how Andy spoke and could tell you. How can you imagine how someone would speak because they do short posts or longer posts? I really don't see the logic to saying that even. I always stick to saying what is on my mine even out in the real world.
    I've never been known to shy away from a conversation because others ma ...[text shortened]... w on how I see things. I really believe people care too much about what others think of them.

-VR
    I imagine HandyAndy's voice from earlier communications - there is no logic to it, just a feeling.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:41
    @torunn said
    I imagine HandyAndy's voice from earlier communications - there is no logic to it, just a feeling.
    I feel you'd have an argument for anthing that came up and stick to your point of view be you correct or not, but that doesn't make my 'feeling' correct. There is a big different between logic and feeling.

-VR
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:44
    @very-rusty said
    I feel you'd have an argument for anthing that came up and stick to your point of view be you correct or not, but that doesn't make my 'feeling' correct. There is a big different between logic and feeling.

-VR
    I mean my reasoning is based on intuition rather than logic, I'm not always rational.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:47
    @torunn said
    I mean my reasoning is based on intuition rather than logic, I'm not always rational.
    No one is alway rational...I'll take logic over feeling or intuition although I would have to stick with the woman intuition would be pretty good! 😉

-VR
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:48
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    You obviously know that you just broke into a conversation about the different intuitions people might get from other poster's typing and what that caused them to imagine. That could be interesting if you stick with it. There is more to life than starting arguments.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:494 edits
    @petewxyz said
    You obviously know that you just broke into a conversation about the different intuitions people might get from other poster's typing and what that caused them to imagine. That could be interesting if you stick with it. There is more to life than starting arguments.
    There is also more to life than sticking to your guns and believing your way is the correct way! 🙂

This conversation is for anyone not just the chosen few! 😉
    You obviously broke into a thread that has been going for years before you got here. Yet we listen to your opinions!

Perhaps a conversation of this type requires its own thread?

-VR
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 15:55
    @petewxyz said
    Peter, It is interesting to imagine how people are in reality. I have a very good impression from the contacts I have had with a few here. There is a word - 'avid' - that I haven't used before, but maybe it is how I would guess you are. I hope it is a nice word.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree