On this day

On this day

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
20 Nov 17

On this day 70 years ago Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Mountbatten were married.

Gothenburg

Moves
20 Nov 17

Originally posted by @ponderable
On this day 70 years ago Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Mountbatten were married.
🙂 The love of her life.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Nov 17

Originally posted by @torunn
🙂 The love of her life.
An arranged marriage.

Gothenburg

Moves
20 Nov 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
An arranged marriage.
I don't think so at all, I think she was very much in love. However I think he was considered very suitable and was introduced to her for that reason.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Nov 17

I don't think so at all, I think she was very much in love. However I think he was considered very suitable and was introduced to her for that reason.
I think that a lot of their photographs show their level of devotion to one another, unlike those of Charles and Diana which showed her unhappiness in later years.

Gothenburg

Moves
20 Nov 17

Originally posted by @drewnogal
I think that a lot of their photographs show their level of devotion to one another, unlike those of Charles and Diana which showed her unhappiness in later years.
I agree, Drew - so unfortunate for both of them, mostly Diana of course. She was much too young to be put in that situation.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Nov 17

I agree, Drew - so unfortunate for both of them, mostly Diana of course. She was much too young to be put in that situation.
Elizabeth II was 13 when she met Phillip, when she was 15 it was
officially decided she should marry him. That's what I call too young!

Dianna was a moaning gold-digger.

Gothenburg

Moves
21 Nov 17
2 edits

Of the many documentaries I have watched:

Elisabeth fell in love wih Phillip when she was in her early teens and she was very happy marrying him when it was time.

I know what everyone else seems to know - Diana married a man who had an affair already which he didn't give up, that can never be excused.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Nov 17

She was chosen by Charles for one purpose and one purpose only, to birth heirs.

After that, she was tossed aside, even though she was arguably one of the more beautiful women in the world. Charles never loved her. He chose her for her beauty not because it moved him, but because it would create kids with acceptable looks, even given Charles' own dog face. And speaking of dog faces, he always loved only Camilla. They deserve each other. Diana was a perfect rose, that once picked, was cast aside and left to fend for herself. A shockingly short and unhappy life.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Nov 17

Originally posted by @suzianne
She was chosen by Charles for one purpose and one purpose only, to birth heirs.

After that, she was tossed aside, even though she was arguably one of the more beautiful women in the world. Charles never loved her. He chose her for her beauty not because it moved him, but because it would create kids with acceptable looks, even given Charles' own dog f ...[text shortened]... once picked, was cast aside and left to fend for herself. A shockingly short and unhappy life.
I am sure you are correct about Charles's motivation - and he is a victim here too - but Diana for sure knew what she was getting into.

By her own admission she go engaged after meeting him only 6 or 7 times.
Would she have done that if he was a bank clerk?

Moves
21 Nov 17

Not to mention a serial cheater.

Moves
21 Nov 17

Originally posted by @suzianne
She was chosen by Charles
No, she wasn't. That was the main problem. He never wanted her, but was strong-armed into accepting her. She, on the other hand, was initially very happy to be royalty (remember her face on the telly on their wedding?) until she discovered that fooling around with soldiers and rugby players was even more fun.

But hey, the woman is always the victim and the man the perp, right?

Gothenburg

Moves
21 Nov 17
1 edit

I am sure you are correct about Charles's motivation - and he is a victim here too - but Diana for sure knew what she was getting into.

By her own admission she go engaged after meeting him only 6 or 7 times.
Would she have done that if he was a bank clerk?
Maybe not, but she was 20 when she married Charles, quite young and had lived a very protected life. I am convinced her feelings for Charles were sincere and I am sure she believed she was in love, and that she did what was expected of her. She believed she did the right thing as many young girls do. To go from there into that impossible situation where she ended up is just so sad.

And, may I add, least of all she expected her husband to have a mistress from the beginning of their marriage, which apparently was no secret to others.

Gothenburg

Moves
21 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @shallow-blue
No, she wasn't. That was the main problem. He never wanted her, but was strong-armed into accepting her. She, on the other hand, was initially very happy to be royalty (remember her face on the telly on their wedding?) until she discovered that fooling around with soldiers and rugby players was even more fun.

But hey, the woman is always the victim and the man the perp, right?
They were both unfortunate but he was aware of the circumstances and she wasn't.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Nov 17

Maybe not, but she was 20 when she married Charles, quite young and had lived a very protected life. I am convinced her feelings for Charles were sincere and I am sure she believed she was in love, and that she did what was expected of her. She believed she did the right thing as many young girls do. To go from there into that impossible situation where she ...[text shortened]... have a mistress from the beginning of their marriage, which apparently was no secret to others.
It would be exceptionally naïve for a woman of the eighties to not know that royals had mistresses. Phillip's indiscretions would be well known and Charles's love of Camilla was also not a secret.

Dianna never had the chance to know Charles and could not have loved him. It
was a sham. Dianna knew it, her family knew it, the aristocracy knew it.

The "love story" was just an invention of the magazines around the world.