1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 17:21
    @torunn said
    So I had the wrong information then. Thank you. 🙂
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/realestate/a-history-of-new-york-traffic-lights.html
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 17:39
    @handyandy said
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/realestate/a-history-of-new-york-traffic-lights.html
    Thanks. Manhattan is a favourite place of mine.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:05
    @torunn said
    Thanks. Manhattan is a favourite place of mine.
    I haven't been back for years. How about you?
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:171 edit
    @handyandy said
    I haven't been back for years. How about you?
    I was there a couple or a few years ago with good friends. We had such a good time. All of us had suggested things to do and places to see, and we tried to do as much as possible. My favourites: Metropolitan Opera, Brooklyn bridge, Times square, Guggenheim and many other things. Just love it and the people there.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:22
    @torunn said
    I was there a couple or a few years ago with good friends. We had such a good time. All of us had suggested things to do and places to see, and we tried to do as much as possible. My favourites: Metropolitan Opera, Brooklyn bridge, Times square, Guggenheim and many other things. Just love it and the people there.
    I worked there for many years before moving to New England. I still miss it now and then.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:26
    @handyandy said
    I worked there for many years before moving to New England. I still miss it now and then.
    I understand that, such a special place. You lived in Brooklyn?
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:29
    @torunn said
    Doesn't matter where you go in the world. It is always the people that make the place, not the other way around. I think in Canada and I've been to most of the Provinces, but the kindest most generous giving people would me in my opinion from Newfoundland!

-VR
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:33
    @torunn said
    I understand that, such a special place. You lived in Brooklyn?
    Yes, but I never met Bernie Sanders or Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:372 edits
    @very-rusty said
    Doesn't matter where you go in the world. It is always the people that make the place, not the other way around. I think in Canada and I've been to most of the Provinces, but the kindest most generous giving people would me in my opinion from Newfoundland!

-VR
    There is something about the people you meet in Manhattan. You may not expect such friendly people in such a big place but we only met kind and helpful people, curious about where we came from because they heard we spoke with an accent. And it had nothing to do with money on those occasions.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 21:321 edit
    @torunn said
    There is something about the people you meet in Manhattan. You may not expect such friendly people in such a big place but we only met kind and helpful people, curious about where we came from because they heard we spoke with an accent. And it had nothing to do with money on those occasions.
    How many strangers do you know would tell you where the key was and to drop in and use the place for the week-end if they happen to be gone? That is the kind of people I'm talking about that live in Newfoundland. The people that landed there back during 911 were probably the most lucky of every one, including planes that landed here in Halifax. Life long friendships were made here but especially in Newfoundland.

-VR
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 21:42
    @wolfgang59 said
    13th March
    Uranus was discovered
    Not so, I was born June 1rst
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 21:48
    @whodey

LOL.....Nice One!

-VR
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 21:52
    @Very-Rusty
    You love kind, helpful people wherever you meet them but I certainly didn't expect to find so many of them in Manhattan with so much people and me feeling so insignificant. London is lovely too in the same way.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 21:59
    @torunn said
    @Very-Rusty
    You love kind, helpful people wherever you meet them but I certainly didn't expect to find so many of them in Manhattan with so much people and me feeling so insignificant. London is lovely too in the same way.
    I take it you've NEVER been to Newfoundland, very scenic, besides having the kindest most giving people in the world. If I seem Bias it is because I am.

-VR
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 01:15
    @handyandy said
    The installation of red/amber/green traffic lights in Manhattan goes back to 1922.
    According to wiki

On 9 December 1868, the first non-electric gas-lit traffic lights
    were installed outside the Houses of Parliament in London.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree