Notable death

Notable death

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
18 Nov 22

Michael Gerson, Washington Post columnist and NewsHour commentator, dead at 58

Moves
18 Nov 22
1 edit

Fred Brooks. These days mostly known for writing "The Mythical Man-Month", and even if that were the only thing he did, he'd still be well remembered. But what most people, even most people in IT, don't really know is how much else he did. He ran the S/360 project at IBM, building one of the most important mainframes ever. He was a crucial figure, both in early computing practice, and in later information science.

He is, single-handedly, the reason why bytes these days aren't anywhere between 6 and 36 bits, but (almost!) always 8-bit octets.

"Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later." - if only more managers listened to him.

It's all too easy to underestimate his influence on computers and computing as they are today.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Nov 22

Wilko Johnson, influential guitarist, age 75.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
26 Nov 22

Actress and singer Irene Cara
Oscar and Grammy winner best known for the theme songs of “Fame” and “Flashdance” in the early ’80s, has died, her publicist said. She was 63.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/26/entertainment/irene-cara-obit/index.html

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
30 Nov 22

Christine McVie
Fleetwood Mac Singer-Songwriter, Dies at 79

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/christine-mcvie-dead-fleetwood-mac-singer-songwriter-1235445846/

i'm gonna be unavailable for a while
😢 😢 😢

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
30 Nov 22

Songbird

For you there'll be no more crying
For you the sun will be shining
And I feel that when I'm with you
It's alright, I know it's right

To you I'll give the world
To you I'll never be cold
'Cause I feel that when I'm with you
It's alright, I know it's right

And the songbirds are singing
Like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before

And I wish you all the love in the world
But most of all, I wish it from myself

And the songbirds keep singing
Like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before

Like never before
Like never before

~ Christine Mcvie

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
30 Nov 22

Loved her harmonic contributions to the latter and most successful line up. Saw them live at Wembley arena in 2009 but sadly John and Christine had decided not to join the tour.

Sad news.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
03 Dec 22

Noodle the Pug, the dog who became famous on TikTok for his “bones” or “no bones” days, has died at the age of 14.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3760933-noodle-the-pug-known-for-his-bones-no-bones-days-has-died/

c

Moves
03 Dec 22

@rookie54 said
Noodle the Pug, the dog who became famous on TikTok for his “bones” or “no bones” days, has died at the age of 14.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3760933-noodle-the-pug-known-for-his-bones-no-bones-days-has-died/
A dog is not a notable death.

Moves
04 Dec 22

@chaney3 said
A dog is not a notable death.
I think it’s owner might disagree.🤔

c

Moves
04 Dec 22

@great-big-stees said
I think it’s owner might disagree.🤔
Then this thread should be about all death, but it's not, it's about notable death.

When a hamster dies, I don't need to know.

Moves
04 Dec 22
1 edit

@chaney3 said
Then this thread should be about all death, but it's not, it's about notable death.

Were it yours I suspect you would or the stench…🤔

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
06 Dec 22

John Wolf, activist, artist, spiritual teacher, and my personal friend passed away today. Johnny was the son of a noted artist, Peter Wolf (no, not the musician rocker) and designed and worked on the Barney and Friends television set. He co-founded the Dallas Peace and Justice Center and spent countless hours working for the civil rights of all. He built his house and could be seen on the weekends selling vegetables that came from his small 54 acre farm called Wolfsong. He rescued and relocated bees and worked with individuals and organizations to address the issue of food deserts by organizing community gardens in urban areas.

I first met Johnny at a Drums Not Guns event in 2009. While others were drumming or dancing (as I was), Johnny was watching over the largest wok I’d ever seen full of vegetables, rice, and amazing aroma of spices. He grinned and winked saying, “I walk the wok.”

Johnny taught me about letting go and enjoying life no matter what came up. He was famous for twisting a traditional Western Sufi saying, “Onwards Towards the One.”

It’s been a very long time now since I last saw Johnny Wolf, yet his memory will always be a joy and a blessing.

F

Moves
06 Dec 22
1 edit

Kirstie Alley, 71 years old.

Australia

Moves
08 Dec 22

@chaney3 said

Who defines " notable"?
Personally, I'd say my list would be very much shorter than most people's here. I would not include a single media person or sports person or entertainment person. I absolutely wouldn't include anyone who was famous for being famous.

I would include Stephen Hawking, or Mahatma Gandhi, or Dag Hammarskjold. But the thread would have very few posts in it, so I guess we have to count the celebrities in.