Like and Dislike about my country

Like and Dislike about my country

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jan 13

Originally posted by rookie54
i am a child of the earth,
and i like most all of mankind...
the one thing i've found, that i do not like,
is our habit to destroy all we find...
that almost isn't uncalled for

Queenslander

Tropical North

Moves
16 Jan 13

Australia

I like : The Footy, The Cricket, The State of Origin, North Queensland Cowboys

I dislike : When the Footy isn't on, The Crickets not on, NSW crowd come State of Origin!

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
16 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Interesting. You said "self effacing" humour. Did you mean "self-deprecating"?
"What is Self effacing humour
wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Self_effacing_humour
Self-effacing humor is where people make fun of themselves to get laughs. Many comedians do this... they make fun of their own quirks. You could also tell racial ..."

No, Self effacing works for my purposes.

F

Moves
16 Jan 13

Originally posted by kevcvs57
"What is Self effacing humour
wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Self_effacing_humour
Self-effacing humor is where people make fun of themselves to get laughs. Many comedians do this... they make fun of their own quirks. You could also tell racial ..."

No, Self effacing works for my purposes.
I think it's a misuse of the word which - granted - may well have slipped into everyday usage regardless, as does happen. I see "self-effacing" as meaning shy, reticent, reluctant to draw attention to oneself.

This is not a characteristic of British humour in my estimation.

"Self-deprecating", on the other hand, means conscious of, or drawing attention to, one's own shortcomings.

They do have a sense of 'modesty' in common.

Perhaps people have used "self-effacing" mistakenly so often when they meant "self-deprecating" that wiki.answers cannot be blamed for offering a definition that reflects this.

Fair enough. Personally, I think the difference between these two words was well worth keeping. But I am inclined by instinct to be 'descriptive' rather than 'proscriptive' when it comes to a living language, so I suppose I have to accept that the difference has been eroded, even if I myself will continue to use the two words in a way that preserves the nuance. 😵

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
16 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
I think it's a misuse of the word which - granted - may well have slipped into everyday usage regardless, as does happen. I see "self-effacing" as meaning shy, reticent, reluctant to draw attention to oneself.

This is not a characteristic of British humour in my estimation.

"Self-deprecating", on the other hand, means conscious of, or drawing attention to, ...[text shortened]... myself will continue to use the two words in a way that preserves the nuance. 😵
I used the term because I had heard it used in that context, but on reflection Self deprecating is a more accurate description.

The good news is that it was close enough for you to know it needed correction.🙂

rc

Moves
16 Jan 13

I used the term because I had heard it used in that context, but on reflection Self deprecating is a more accurate description.

The good news is that it was close enough for you to know it needed correction.🙂
No gnat is too small to strain, no camel too cumbersome to gulp down for our friend FMF!

F

Moves
16 Jan 13

Words are getting merged, lost, narrowed, widened and invented all the time. That's all we're talking about here really. If self-effacing and self-deprecating now mean the same to large numbers of native English speakers, then so be it. I find it an interesting topic. Here is a lecture series I was listening to just before Christmas. http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/audiobook/2350993.html

F

Moves
16 Jan 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
No gnat is too small to strain, no camel too cumbersome to gulp down for our friend FMF!
Are you not interested in stuff like etymology and lexicography then?

rc

Moves
16 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Are you not interested in stuff like etymology and lexicography then?
Perhaps your proclivity for gnat straining has found a more productive outlet. Etymology interests me immeasurably, but you have, as far as I can discern, provided no historical basis for the development of any of your terms making the appellation, etymological appear rather scantily clad. Lexicography interests me as a useful tool to distinguish nuances of meaning which are pertinent to scriptural understanding.

F

Moves
16 Jan 13
1 edit

Perhaps your proclivity for gnat straining has found a more productive outlet. Etymology interests me immeasurably, but you have, as far as I can discern, provided no historical basis for the development of any of your terms making the appellation, etymological appear rather scantily clad.
Etymology concerns the development of the meaning of words. So you are of the opinion that "self-effacing" and "self-deprecating" are more or less synonymous?

rc

Moves
16 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
So you are of the opinion that "self-effacing" and "self-deprecating" are more or less synonymous?
There are nuances of differences, to what degree depends upon the context.

F

Moves
16 Jan 13
1 edit

You seem to be taking exception to it. Do you think the meanings and usages of words is something people ought not to discuss?

F

Moves
16 Jan 13

There are nuances of differences, to what degree depends upon the context.
Would you describe Bristish humour as "self-effacing"? I would not.

It sounds as if the meaning of "self-effacing" and "self-deprecating" - in the context of 'taking the mickey out of oneself' - may have merged in many English speakers' minds.

Australia

Moves
16 Jan 13
2 edits

I understand self-effacing means: reluctant to draw attention to oneself.
I understand self-deprecating means: poking gentle fun/mockery at oneself.

Quite different meanings, but I suspect for most English speakers today they would be used interchangeably. So, yes, I agree with your last statement. I note that kevcvs's source is answers.com, where anyone can create a definition and no dictionary or other references are given.

F

Moves
16 Jan 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Quite different meanings, but I suspect for most English speakers today they would be used interchangeably.
It's a process I find fascinating. And with some people hanging on to distinctions that other people are no longer observing, it's an ever changing source of fascination!