22 Jul '21 11:39
    how did you handle it?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 11:41
    @lemondrop said
    how did you handle it?
    self medicated valium & whiskey tried the docs all he offered was talking therapy.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 11:46
    @lemondrop said
    how did you handle it?
    Do you mean "Clinical depression... A mental health disorder characterised by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life."? [from the web]

Or do you mean it in its more colloquial or vernacular sense: feelings of disappointment or gloom [minus a mental health aspect]?
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 11:51
    In elementary school, grade 5, 1956, I believe it was, the teacher whacked me, on the upper arm, with a pointer(I was disrupting the class and likely deserved it) which left a, “depression” on it.
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 11:56
    @fmf said
    Do you mean "Clinical depression... A mental health disorder characterised by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life."? [from the web]

Or do you mean it in its more colloquial or vernacular sense: feelings of disappointment or gloom [minus a mental health aspect]?
    a feeling of doom and gloom
    losing interest in things
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 12:16
    @lemondrop said
    You may be in need of professional help!

Not advice from people here unless they specialize in depression.

-VR
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 12:26
    @lemondrop said
    What Very Rusty said if it's clinical.

If it's the sort of depression that everybody all around the world felt, except Italians, after the EURO 2021 final saw ENGERLAND LOSE, then go on a bike ride, do circuits in the gym, cook something, watch a favourite film, eat chocolate ice cream etc.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 12:34
    @fmf said
    What Very Rusty said if it's clinical.

If it's the sort of depression that everybody all around the world felt, except Italians, after the EURO 2021 final saw ENGERLAND LOSE, then go on a bike ride, do circuits in the gym, cook something, watch a favourite film, eat chocolate ice cream etc.
    Chocolate...really?🤔
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 12:58
    @lemondrop said
    how did you handle it?
    Hypnotherapy, followed by more traditional psychotherapy.

This was clinical depression caused by PTSD. Once I found the right therapist, the depression was gone in one year, the PTSD itself hung on for 19 more years.
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:02
    @suzianne said

This was clinical depression caused by PTSD. Once I found the right therapist, the depression was gone in one year, the PTSD itself hung on for 19 more years.
    I'm glad it worked
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:24
    @lemondrop said
    Yes. I moved away from the situation which was causing the depression. Took about six months to clear my head and get back on my feet again.
  12. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:40
    Dang, poor devil.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:041 edit
    @suzianne said

I am sure we have all had some depression at different points in our lives. This damn Pandemic hasn't helped people's state of mind for sure.

Of course some much more severe than others. Mental health is being talked about more openly now than it once was which a good thing.

-VR
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:57
    @very-rusty said
    I am sure we have all had some depression at different points in our lives.
    "All" of us?
  15. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 15:22
    @lemondrop
    Have I ever suffered depression? no. And I'm very glad for that. I have seen how it can affect people and it's a testament to the human spirit how anyone survives serious clinical depression. Truly inspiring people out there who keep going. If you are depressed, clinically depressed, then I encourage you to seek help (and if you can't get the services that help, paying privately for help).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree