Happy 30th birthday internet!

Happy 30th birthday internet!

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Mar 19
1 edit

On 12th March 1989 the internet was born.

Tim Berners-Lee wrote his proposal for a new information management system connecting documents held across multiple computers at CERN, where he worked as a contractor. It was the system that developed into the internet.

Note: where I am it is actually the 13th, but it is still 12th in the US, Canada etc.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Mar 19

RHP born in 2001 I believe; 18 years old

Facebook born in 2004; 15 years old

It’s difficult to remember what life was like without the internet.

F

Moves
13 Mar 19

@divegeester said
One can Google it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Mar 19
1 edit

@divegeester said

Tim Berners-Lee wrote his proposal for a new information management system connecting documents held across multiple computers at CERN, where he worked as a contractor. It was the system that developed into the internet.

Note: where I am it is actually the 13th, but it is still 12th in the US, Canada etc.
That's Sir Timothy to you.

By the way, Berners-Lee just invented the World Wide Web, not the entire Internet. The internet itself grew out of research done in the 60s, until ARPANet in the 80s, and it flourished from there. The Internet was therefore born in the US, not England, like you tried to imply. I'm not knocking Berners-Lee's invention of the World Wide Web, this was a genius undertaking of its own, requiring the invention of a hypertext transfer protocol, but the actual beginnings of the Internet, which no one person can take credit for, started in the US.

But I see what you did there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
13 Mar 19

@divegeester said

Computers themselves were actually around in the 70's and took up a whole room!!! I remember seeing that in a hospital.

Retro Delight: Gallery of Early Computers (1940s – 1960s) ... The computers in the 1940s and 1950s were mostly based on vacuum tubes. Transistors showed up late in the game, and integrated circuits were just a distant dream and didn't start showing up in computers until the 1960s, and then in very limited capacity.Feb 27, 2019
Retro Delight: Gallery of Early Computers (1940s - 1960s) - Pingdom ...
https://royal.pingdom.com/retro-delight-gallery-of-early-computers-1940s-1960s/

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Mar 19

@very-rusty said
Computers themselves were actually around in the 70's and took up a whole room!!! I remember seeing that in a hospital.

Retro Delight: Gallery of Early Computers (1940s – 1960s) ... The computers in the 1940s and 1950s were mostly based on vacuum tubes. Transistors showed up late in the game, and integrated circuits were just a distant dream and didn't start showing up ...[text shortened]... 60s) - Pingdom ...
https://royal.pingdom.com/retro-delight-gallery-of-early-computers-1940s-1960s/
was the first electronic computer called Collosus and developed in Blechley Park?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
13 Mar 19

@badradger said
was the first electronic computer called Collosus and developed in Blechley Park?
Google has posted a look back at Colossus, the world's first programmable electronic computer. Created by Tommy Flowers at the Bletchley Park decryption center in England, it was designed to intercept and interpret coded messages sent by German machines during World War II.Mar 12, 2012
Colossus: how the first programmable electronic computer saved ...
https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/12/.../colossus-first-programmable-electronic-comput...

-VR

Moves
13 Mar 19

I remember when you had to call some dude with your landline to get connected.
My friends dad would do it so we could play Leisure suit Larry which was a very adult game considering the times.

Moves
13 Mar 19

@badradger said
No. Zuse's machines were just a bit ahead.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Mar 19

@suzianne said
The Internet was therefore born in the US, not England, like you tried to imply.
It was just meant to be a fun post.

Ol' Dirty Heathen

I'm Naked!

Moves
13 Mar 19

@fmf said
One can Google it.
I took your advice and Googled it. Seems that Senator Al Gore invented it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
13 Mar 19

@mudfinger said
I took your advice and Googled it. Seems that Senator Al Gore invented it.
LOL.....

-VR

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Mar 19

@rowin-side said
I remember when you had to call some dude with your landline to get connected.
My friends dad would do it so we could play Leisure suit Larry which was a very adult game considering the times.
Remember LAN parties?

Moves
14 Mar 19

I'm only 40 years old but I feel ancient now ☹️

Read a book!

Moves
14 Mar 19

@divegeester said
RHP born in 2001 I believe; 18 years old

Facebook born in 2004; 15 years old

It was delightful!