Gameknot : what an odd crappy site.......

Gameknot : what an odd crappy site.......

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
20 Feb 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
In a perverted way I feel that I've finally joined an important group by earning a ban from a chess site.
Welcome to the club.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
20 Feb 06
1 edit

I feel left out. I have not been banned anywhere. And I only have been blocked by one person on MSN. Oh sigh...

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
20 Feb 06

Originally posted by Aiko
I feel left out. I have not been banned anywhere. And I only have been blocked by one person on MSN. Oh sigh...
There's a whole list of ways to get banned here. You're just not trying hard enough.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
21 Feb 06

I have played at gameknot for over 2 years and have observed more computer cheats by number than any site on the net.
I would not pay to play there.

s
Grandfather

Moves
21 Feb 06

GK Gameknot has the highest concentration of computer users abusers of any internet chess site, bar none. The managment turns a deaf ear to this fact and if you have the ya ya's to bring it up for discussion it will be deleted by the forum nazi's, if you can get to the forums!! From a rating range of over 1600 you can be assured to run into the comp cheats right to the #1 player! Of the top 200 I would venture to say 90% are cheaters, and that might be low! The owners of the site play favorites with members and what once was the darling of internet chess is now as souless and dark as it's color scheme. So if you like beating your head against Fritz and Junior GK is your kinda chess site!

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
22 Feb 06

In a perverted way I feel that I've finally joined an important group by earning a ban from a chess site. I didn't cheat, nor spam, nor harrass. I openly identified myself as someone that blocks sites that are known purveyors of scumware, and that such blocking eliminated all ads on a site partly supported by advertising.
i got banned from GK a while back. i kinda deserved it though-i was a cheeky little bugger back then. and i also spammed quite a bit...i think i crashed the server at least once......

also, i disagree with sartorius about the computers, although i haven't been there in a while so i can't really comment...πŸ˜›

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Feb 06

In a perverted way I feel that I've finally joined an important group by earning a ban from a chess site. I didn't cheat, nor spam, nor harrass. I openly identified myself as someone that blocks sites that are known purveyors of scumware, and that such blocking eliminated all ads on a site partly supported by advertising.

RHP membership is inexpensive com ...[text shortened]... er internet site without proper pop-up blocking and anti-spyware software running on your box.
I'm curious (and I know I mentioned this to you before), but how could RHP get any better on uptime? The BBC website seems to have been down more in the past few months than RHP.

Also, I think it'd make an interesting thread for you to detail what RHP has to do in each specific area to attain all !!.

Some of the reasons are pretty obvious, like not being able to get all your opponents pgns easily, but others less so.

D

d

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Some of the reasons are pretty obvious, like not being able to get all your opponents pgns easily, but others less so.

D
Are there any plans for an RHP pgn database of all games, accessible only to subs?

s

Moves
22 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by sartorius
GK Gameknot has the highest concentration of computer users abusers of any internet chess site, bar none. The managment turns a deaf ear to this fact and if you have the ya ya's to bring it up for discussion it will be deleted by the forum nazi's, if you can get to the forums!! From a rating range of over 1600 you can be assured to run into the comp cheats cheme. So if you like beating your head against Fritz and Junior GK is your kinda chess site!
I subscribe at gameknot (as well as here), the reason I joined gameknot was that I like to play in tournaments, but I also go on holiday twice a year and because I dont generally like slow games with large timebanks etc I can't play in tournaments here because rhp doesn't have the postpopne game facility that gameknot does, I agree rhp is superior in every other way. However I don't feel as if I have come accross a lot of engine user's there, although once I did supsect so (and complained to deaf ears), however I have been beaten in 2 finals on this site by engine users. From what Rav said it looks like they have put their fees up recently as I'm sure I only paid something similar to here, needless to say I will not be re-subscribing there if it costs that much, in fact I can't see why most players would, at that cost.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by dottewell
Are there any plans for an RHP pgn database of all games, accessible only to subs?
Yup. Russ mentioned a while ago that it was a possibility.

Thread 33593

D

d

Moves
22 Feb 06

Yup. Russ mentioned a while ago that it was a possibility.

Thread 33593

D
Thanks.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by dottewell
Thanks.
We just need to apply a little pressure like when we did to get the notebook updating on your move without making a move, and who knows, we might have the database in a couple of years. πŸ˜‰

D

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by caissad4
I have played at gameknot for over 2 years and have observed more computer cheats by number than any site on the net.
I would not pay to play there.
Why do you still play there if there are so many cheats?

Every site has cheats, and many formerly "respected" players have been removed from this site in recent months.

Gameknot has some options that are badly needed here such as the ability to block users and the games database option.

Every site has its detractors and no site will please all their users all the time, and that includes RHP.

Member of both sites and happyish with both.

πŸ˜›

d

Moves
22 Feb 06

We just need to apply a little pressure like when we did to get the notebook updating on your move without making a move, and who knows, we might have the database in a couple of years. πŸ˜‰

D
Consider Russ's dog kidnapped and its left ear removed and sent to him in the post.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
22 Feb 06
1 edit

I'm curious (and I know I mentioned this to you before), but how could RHP get any better on uptime? The BBC website seems to have been down more in the past few months than RHP.

Also, I think it'd make an interesting thread for you to detail what RHP has to do in each specific area to attain all !!.

D
Thanks for the good question. I'll start a thread in site ideas ( I'll name it "Answering Ragnorak" ), where I'll begin detailing a partial answer to this question.

I appreciate the time you've taken to look at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/comp.htm, and the time you invest in arguing with my assessments there. AFAIK, there are no comparable comparisons of the leading internet chess sites, so my contribution carries with it a the responsibility to be as honest and fair as possible.

Recent developments at another site either make it more difficult to be fair (to them), or constitute fairness as a damning indictment.