Gameknot : what an odd crappy site.......

Gameknot : what an odd crappy site.......

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by Ravello
I played there for some time,then I left that site and got a bunch of timeouts........
Since a month I returned to start some games there just to not let die my account and today I got this baffling message:

[i]Notice from GameKnot: It appears you are blocking all advertising on GameKnot. Unfortunately we will not able to continue providing you with our ...[text shortened]...

Second moral of the story: this is the best site to play chess online,there's no contest!
This is what I answered to a gameknot guy suggesting gameknot is excellent etc and has great forums:

I read what you said about this site and it's forums, whilst you make a good point, I'm afraid it will be meaningless to both Ravello and Wulebgr because they both subscribe to another site that I also do, and to be honest if you think this site is good you would simply love that site, it's software, forums and the community spirit and it's cheaper (Rav said that you can't mention another site's name or it will be deleted.....so I can't mention it....by the way you can on the other one as I read about this thread on the other site). The reason I subscribe to this site is that it has a postpone games facility that means I can go on holidays.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by stevetodd
This is what I answered to a gameknot guy suggesting gameknot is excellent etc and has great forums:

I read what you said about this site and it's forums, whilst you make a good point, I'm afraid it will be meaningless to both Ravello and Wulebgr because they both subscribe to another site that I also do, and to be honest if you think this site is good ...[text shortened]... be to this site is that it has a postpone games facility that means I can go on holidays.
Certainly no other site's forums are as active and openly democratic than RHP's. At least two ther sites have better capabilities for game analysis within, and in one case, in addition to the chess forums. But for the chat, discussion, and debate, RHP is the clear leader.

I, too, like the postponement feature at GK. I'd like to have that here, as I note in Thread 38770

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
22 Feb 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Certainly no other site's forums are as active and openly democratic than RHP's. At least two ther sites have better capabilities for game analysis within, and in one case, in addition to the chess forums. But for the chat, discussion, and debate, RHP is the clear leader.

I, too, like the postponement feature at GK. I'd like to have that here, as I note in Thread 38770
RHP has the best forums compared to other sites as far as openness. And while there are still some things that need tweeking here(imo), it's far less restrictive here than any other site I've heard about or been on.

d

Moves
22 Feb 06

I can't believe people play on more than one site. My game load on RHP could quite easily get me sacked, drive away my girlfriend and ruin my social life.

Not saying everyone who plays in more than one place is an unemployed, single loser, but still...

W
Angler

River City

Moves
22 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by dottewell
Not saying everyone who plays in more than one place is an unemployed, single loser, but still...
I'm an underemployed part-time college professor earning extra dough as a scholastic chess coach. Getting paid to play chess with third-graders makes me a chess professional, so I can easily justify the inordinate amount of time I spend on RHP and similar sites. The key to playing at five or more sites (which I do for the sake of my reviews) is to keep the game load at most of them very low. I manage 40-80 games at once, with 1/3 to 1/2 at RHP.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
23 Feb 06

Update: I just saw that the thread on Gameknot, where I asked about the message I received, was deleted today.

Note that it was a polite and quiet discussion but GK people seems to have a stick up their butt and after banning Wulebgr without an apparent reason they closed the thread.

The only thing I can do is to repeat what I say in the thread title :Gameknot is an odd and crappy site!

a

Leicester, UK

Moves
23 Feb 06

Yep - I gotta agree RHP feels so much 'cleaner' than GK. I ended up at RHP when goggling for something else (ahem..) and was immediately hooked. I'll fork out the reasonable subscription fee asap. In the meantime I decided to quench my thirst by looking for similar sites and came across GK -whatta mistake!

Keep up the good work!

W
Angler

River City

Moves
24 Feb 06
1 edit

Note that it was a polite and quiet discussion but GK people seems to have a stick up their butt and after banning Wulebgr without an apparent reason they closed the thread.
So far they appear to be ignoring my requests for an explanation of what rule I allegedly broke. In the meantime, I've modified my site review for GK. It is now located in column three: "Other Sites: I tried these sites, but found them inferior to others." In the more detailed review, I've added a few sentences:

"Their membership prices range from double that of comparable sites to nearly five times as high."

"GameKnot seems to require more cookies than comparable sites. They have been known to ban non-paying members for using anti-spyware and pop-up blockers, although they recommend these in their FAQ."

There had been a discussion about the cookies in their forums six months ago. I checked and found that the site required (or at least requested) placing no less than 14 cookies on my box.

I find it comic that they recommend SpyBot, but that if you use a router to block sites listed as bad by SpyBot (as I do), you see none of their ads, and they stated prior to thread elimination that they monitor whether users are viewing the ads, and send a warning to those that are not. Of course, I was ejected without warning.

See my CC reviews at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm, or details regarding my assessments of RHP in comparison to other sites at Thread 38770.

s

Moves
24 Feb 06

Update: I just saw that the thread on Gameknot, where I asked about the message I received, was deleted today.

The only thing I can do is to repeat what I say in the thread title :[b]Gameknot is an odd and crappy site!
[/b]
it might have been what I added to the thread (read above) saying there was a better site that the 3 of us played on (and subscribed), in answer to someone saying that you were playing for free and implying you were after something for nothing

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
26 Feb 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
So far they appear to be ignoring my requests for an explanation of what rule I allegedly broke. In the meantime, I've modified my site review for GK. It is now located in column three: "Other Sites: I tried these sites, but found them inferior to others." In the more detailed review, I've added a few sentences:

"Their membership prices range from double ...[text shortened]... arding my assessments of RHP in comparison to other sites at Thread 38770.
Update: I just found out I've been banned from GK forums without an apparent reason and,just like you,I can't send private messages and ask why I've been banned.
Apparently I've been banned because I suggested to take a look at Timeforchess.com before saying that GK has the best forums and the best site for playing chess.
This may have pissed them off..........😀

a

Forgotten

Moves
26 Feb 06

chesshere.com
is without a doubt the WORST site on the web.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
26 Feb 06

Originally posted by aspviper666
chesshere.com
Apparently a GM plays there? 😕 If I were a GM I certainly wouldn't! 😛

w
Jo

Moving on...

Moves
26 Feb 06

letsplaychess.com is okay. RHP is far superior though.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
27 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by aspviper666
chesshere.com
I've been in the process of reviewing chesshere, and its got a long ways to go, but I can assure you that there are far worse turn-based sites.