1. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:54
    I played there for some time,then I left that site and got a bunch of timeouts........
    Since a month I returned to start some games there just to not let die my account and today I got this baffling message:

Notice from GameKnot: It appears you are blocking all advertising on GameKnot. Unfortunately we will not able to continue providing you with our services unless you allow all ads to be shown on our website, or if you subscribe to a premium membership (any level). As you probably know, all free accounts are supported by paid advertising, and since you have blocked ads on your computer, your account is currently being supported by everyone else's premium membership fees. Please subscribe to a premium membership of your own at your earliest convenience, or allow all ads to be shown on GameKnot. Thank you for your understanding.

Moral of the story: I should deactivate my popup blocker or they will close my account.
    Not that their subscription is any cheap ,89$ and you still don't have the privileges you have here with three times less,and I dare you to find the well hidden forums........

Second moral of the story: this is the best site to play chess online,there's no contest!
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:57
    89 bucks?!

That's robbery.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 19:41
    $7. a month. Zero perks. $40. a year . $60. a year and a few perks. $100. a year. Even more perks. Log in. More Options. Forums.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 20:23
    I stopped playing there six months ago, and I've always blocked their ads. I logged in a few minutes ago and posted a comment in their forums just to see if I would get the same message. I didn't. I wonder why they detect your ad-blocker and not mine?

I agree that RHP is among the best sites, and is far superior to GameKnot in most respects. However, RHP ranks #2 in my book. I pay for membership at both #1 and #2. RHP has the most active forums, even though other sites' forums do a better job of facilitating serious chess discussion.
  5. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 21:48
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I stopped playing there six months ago, and I've always blocked their ads. I logged in a few minutes ago and posted a comment in their forums just to see if I would get the same message. I didn't. I wonder why they detect your ad-blocker and not mine?

I agree that RHP is among the best sites, and is far superior to GameKnot in most respects. However, RHP ...[text shortened]... ms, even though other sites' forums do a better job of facilitating serious chess discussion.
    And #1 is...(drum roll)...?
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 22:281 edit
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    And #1 is...(drum roll)...?
    read my angelfire reviews at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm

These forums are not the place to promote other sites.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 22:31
    read my angelfire reviews at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm

These forums are not the place to promote other sites.
    You just did! Your own!
  8. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 22:31
    I just watched and didn't see your message,with all probability it has been deleted in no time.
    By the way your is an interesting question:how the hell did they saw that I have the popup blocker on?
    Not that it is anything particular,I have the common Norton on.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 01:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 01:50
    It is still there:

http://gameknot.com/fmsg/chess3/3645.shtml
    Oh,I thought it was a message related to my issue.....
    I just posted a thread asking infos about this thing,in the GK related forum,we'll see the feedback or if the post gets deleted just like other posts questioning the site itself.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 21:42
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Oh,I thought it was a message related to my issue.....
    I just posted a thread asking infos about this thing,in the GK related forum,we'll see the feedback or if the post gets deleted just like other posts questioning the site itself.
    When I attempt to access the forums, I now receive:

RULES VIOLATION:RULES VIOLATION:

Please subscribe to a premium membership to continue enjoying chess on GameKnot.

You can refer to GameKnot's Rules and Policies for more information on what's unacceptable on this website.
  12. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 21:51
    GameKnot blows goats.

(And swallows)
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 22:13
    Here's an irony for you: here we are on RHP complaining about GK. Similar complaints in the GK forums about another site (alleging that the other site suppresses mention of GK, and claiming that GK is superior) led me to a site that I find much better than GK. We could create enough exposure for GK that someone will try it, and liking it, will defect.

I found RHP, on the other hand, through Google.

Perhaps RHP deserves credit for permitting such open discussion of other sites; perhaps, RHP is unwise, however.
  14. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 22:43
    When I attempt to access the forums, I now receive:

RULES VIOLATION:RULES VIOLATION:

Please subscribe to a premium membership to continue enjoying chess on GameKnot.

You can refer to GameKnot's Rules and Policies for more information on what's unacceptable on this website.
    I just took a look at your post there and I don't see anything wrong as you didn't cuss,offended or posted inappropriate content.
    Now you know why the GK forums are so lame.
    If there was the same meter here forums would be completely void.

For record's sake this is the post on GK which costed him the permanent forum ban.
    I still can't believe they are serious about it.

Wulebgr on GK :I've played many games here, and may play more. I post rarely, and never post trash. However, in reply to chuckventimiglia's refusal to address the issues that prompted this thread, and his repeated efforts to hijack the thread, I offered a challenge. The message above appeared instead of a game board.
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 23:45
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I just took a look at your post there and I don't see anything wrong as you didn't cuss,offended or posted inappropriate content.
    Now you know why the GK forums are so lame.
    If there was the same meter here forums would be completely void.

For record's sake this is the post on GK which costed him the permanent forum ban.
    I still can't believe th ...[text shortened]... the thread, I offered a challenge. The message above appeared instead of a game board.[/i]
    In a perverted way I feel that I've finally joined an important group by earning a ban from a chess site. I didn't cheat, nor spam, nor harrass. I openly identified myself as someone that blocks sites that are known purveyors of scumware, and that such blocking eliminated all ads on a site partly supported by advertising.

RHP membership is inexpensive compared to some sites, and the benefits are excellent.

Several sites outperform RHP in their database features, but none have forums nearly as active as these. The clan system at RHP also leads to some of the most spirited team competition to be found.

My humble opinions are freely available at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm

Note: do not enter my site, any free site, or any other internet site without proper pop-up blocking and anti-spyware software running on your box.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree