first book you ever read

first book you ever read

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
04 Nov 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
The first "grown-up" book I ever read completely by myself was "The Swiss Family Robinson" by Johann David Wyss. The next was "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell.
I loved the book Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid. It made me want to be deserted on an island myself. The movie however was just plain ugly. Just didn't come anywhere near cutting it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Nov 15
4 edits

The first "grown-up" book I ever read completely by myself was "The Swiss Family Robinson" by Johann David Wyss. The next was "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell.
Also Swiss Family Robinson and then Brain Wave by Poul Anderson and Flowers for Algernon, Daniel keyes, around 1958. The scene in Brain Wave that stuck with me was the rabbit caught in a trap and figures out how to open the door and escape...

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Nov 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
Also Swiss Family Robinson and then Brain Wave by Poul Anderson and Flowers for Algernon, Daniel keyes, around 1958. The scene in Brain Wave that stuck with me was the rabbit caught in a trap and figures out how to open the door and escape...
I cried when I read Flowers for Algernon, I thought it was so sad.

Thinking back, today, I remember another early one was "Watership Down" and also the whole "Winnie the Pooh" series.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
05 Nov 15

I cried when I read Flowers for Algernon, I thought it was so sad.

Thinking back, today, I remember another early one was "Watership Down" and also the whole "Winnie the Pooh" series.
I cried in Watership Down myself. Loved it. Couldn't get into Winnie the Pooh. Something about the book just didn't smell right.

Loved all the Uncle Remus Br'er Rabbit tales. God....I really love children's books. They bring back such warm and happy memories.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Nov 15

Originally posted by Seitse
Pablo Neruda's 20 Poems of Love. Age 5.

You're all plebs.
... and Despair.

What did you think of Il Postino?

Moves
05 Nov 15
1 edit

Thank you for reminding me of the story and author of Brain Wave, a brilliant thesis, how could I not remember. I had collected a paperback first editiom, in a plastic baggy even, and lost it in a move.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by radioactive69
I loved the book Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid. It made me want to be deserted on an island myself. The movie however was just plain ugly. Just didn't come anywhere near cutting it.
Disney does that to good stories. Just look what they did to Tarzan.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 15
1 edit

The last Poul Anderson I read was Tau Zero, a nice bit of hard sci-fi.

I'll have to check out this Brain Wave.

(As an aside, and just for you, sonhouse, check out this link and let me know what you think. There are people out there who are trying to get us to the stars.) https://tauzero.aero/

rc

Moves
06 Nov 15

It was a book about a caterpillar that measured things, he was called inchworm i think.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
It was a book about a caterpillar that measured things, he was called inchworm i think.
Were you 17 or 18 when you read that?

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
06 Nov 15

rc

Moves
06 Nov 15
2 edits

Were you 17 or 18 when you read that?
No I was in Primary 1 so I must have been about 5

rc

Moves
06 Nov 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Dude you are obsessed.

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
06 Nov 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Dude you are obsessed.
Sorry........."other" forum withdrawal. 😵

rc

Moves
06 Nov 15

Sorry........."other" forum withdrawal. 😵
Hehe, I wonder if by the end of this we will have forgotten how to goad and ridicule and taunt each other? Nah, no chance!