Chess leads to gambling & is a waste of time

Chess leads to gambling & is a waste of time

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Jan 16
1 edit

Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

Sheikh Abdullah al-Sheikh was responding to a question on a television show in which he issued fatwas to viewers who sent in queries on everyday religious matters.

He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste of time and money and a cause for hatred and enmity between players”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/21/chess-forbidden-in-islam-rules-saudi-arabia-grand-mufti

Regardless of your religion, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by FMF
[quote]Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

Sheikh Abdullah al-Sheikh was responding to a question on a television show in which he issued fatwas to viewers who sent in queries on everyday religious matters.

He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste o ...[text shortened]... on, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
"a cause for hatred and enmity between players"

That would explain a lot of RHP forum behavior.

Seriously, though, chess like anything competitive, sublimates instincts that will come out one way or another.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
21 Jan 16

Does this mean no Qatar Opens, or Al-Ain Classics any more?

rc

Moves
21 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
[quote]Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden in Islam, saying it encourages gambling and is a waste of time.

He said chess was “included under gambling” and was “a waste o ...[text shortened]... on, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
Its really very interesting. My own understanding was that there are certain Hadith where Islams prophet specifically mentions chess in condemnatory tones. I remember reading in a book that it was considered idolatrous perhaps because of the figurines, whether this is true I cannot say. I suspect that it will have little bearing outside of Saudi Arabia for there are many Islamic countries which embrace and endorse chess, the Qatar Masters being a notable tournament.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Jan 16

Well, what can you expect from such a distinguished U.S. ally?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jan 16

Wow, someone should see about moving this one to the debates forum!
They need some fresh meat over there!

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
21 Jan 16

Guess naked twister is out.

F

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by mwmiller
Wow, someone should see about moving this one to the debates forum!
They need some fresh meat over there!
You don't think there are enough threads related to Islam on that forum yet? 🙂

On the Debates Forum, Duchess64 would soon try to turn it into a discussion about the reading comprehension skills of the potential rapists among the right wing white American males who post there. 😕

We may be spared all that if the thread remains here. 😉

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by FMF
You don't think there are enough threads related to Islam on that forum yet? 🙂

On the Debates Forum, Duchess64 would soon try to turn it into a discussion about the reading comprehension skills of the potential rapists among the right wing white American males who post there. 😕

We may be spared all that if the thread remains here. 😉
Good point!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by FMF

I really don't get the connection with gambling. Chess is a game of complete information and little prize money.

rc

Moves
21 Jan 16

I have to concur with the Mufti that chess really is empty and probably a waste of time. But its innocuous. Frowning upon music is far more difficult to understand.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I have to concur with the Mufti that chess really is empty and probably a waste of time. But its innocuous. Frowning upon music is far more difficult to understand.
So, you're not paying your €500 bet for the last match, uh?

Read a book!

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by Seitse
So, you're not paying your €500 bet for the last match, uh?
Deadbeat?

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I really don't get the connection with gambling. Chess is a game of complete information and little prize money.
Perhaps at the level Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti plays chess, it is gambling.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jan 16

Originally posted by FMF
Regardless of your religion, or lack of it, do any of these accusations being leveled at chess ring true for anyone here?
Good luck getting traction with this on a CHESS website.

You gotta know your audience.