Trump pardons sherrife that arrested drug dealers

Trump pardons sherrife that arrested drug dealers

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

q

Moves
29 Aug 17

Originally posted by @finnegan
You wrote: "Are you dumb enough to suggest that the US and Nazi Germany are identical?"

Not " [Are you dumb enough to]imply a parallel between the systematic killing of Nazis and the US today."

And I responded to what you wrote.

She made no reference to systematic killing of Nazis, though I am not sure who you think systematically killed the Nazis.
I meant there is no parallel to the systematic killing of non-Aryians by the Nazis and anything in the US.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Aug 17

Originally posted by @quackquack
By your definition everything is quid pro quo. Liberal politician says he'll raise the minimum wage or give some stupid union a better contract. He gets lots of money from liberal group who has similar views. Politician implements campaign promise. This is no different than your prison example -- it's just that you are more likely to support the ch ...[text shortened]... d the time you spend is related to your crime. Your statement to the contrary is simply false.
How come in the US most "criminals" were white in 1930, but non-white in 1990?

Who is a "criminal" is decided by the laws that are made and how those laws are enforced.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Aug 17

According to research by the ACLU and the Nation, the bail industry now pulls in $2 billion in revenue annually. They described the practices of bail bondsmen like Eric Amparan, who keeps 10% of a bail amount as a non-refundable fee even if the person is found innocent. The higher the bail amounts set by judges, the more bail bondsmen stand to make—and Prison Profiteers reported that between 2002 and 2011, the American Bail Coalition (a lobbying group for the bail industry) spent $3.1 million lobbying for judges to set higher bail amounts. Prison Profiteers also noted that average bail amounts increased substantially with the growth of the prison-industrial complex, going from $39,800 in 1992 (the year ABC was founded) to $89,900 in 2006.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Aug 17

According to research by the ACLU and the Nation, the bail industry now pulls in $2 billion in revenue annually. They described the practices of bail bondsmen like Eric Amparan, who keeps 10% of a bail amount as a non-refundable fee even if the person is found innocent. The higher the bail amounts set by judges, the more bail bondsmen stand to make— ...[text shortened]... trial complex, going from $39,800 in 1992 (the year ABC was founded) to $89,900 in 2006.
Do you think this article refutes my premise - that the increase in prison population was not caused by attempts to profit from it?

D

Moves
29 Aug 17

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Aug 17

I meant there is no parallel to the systematic killing of non-Aryians by the Nazis and anything in the US.
Well the parallel that does exist is between the genocide of the American Indians in the American West and the planned genocide of some 20-30 million Slav peoples in Germany's East. That was the number Goebbels estimated would be allowed to starve to death over the first winter of the Eastern campaign, leaving land free for German settlers. The plan was not fully achieved but some 20 million did die.

But that was not the specific content or reference of the D64 post to which you were responding. Your post was nonsense. She simply picked up on the Nazi ideology concerning the benefits of hard work, notably on the infamous sign over the entrance to Auschwtz, and noted that you were employing the same terminology. The parallel that she mentioned, in other words, is not in the genocide but in the use of fascist language.

q

Moves
29 Aug 17

According to research by the ACLU and the Nation, the bail industry now pulls in $2 billion in revenue annually. They described the practices of bail bondsmen like Eric Amparan, who keeps 10% of a bail amount as a non-refundable fee even if the person is found innocent. The higher the bail amounts set by judges, the more bail bondsmen stand to make— ...[text shortened]... trial complex, going from $39,800 in 1992 (the year ABC was founded) to $89,900 in 2006.
Inflation makes $39,800 in 1992 equal to over $57,000 in 2006 so the increase isn't nearly as high as one might think. Are all factors the same? Are there more drug crimes where people are more likely to skip bail? Was the general rate of skipping bail flat? Was high bail granted in cases where bail wasn't previously offered? Just because a stat fits your narrative doesn't mean it gives the true picture.

q

Moves
29 Aug 17

Well the parallel that does exist is between the genocide of the American Indians in the American West and the planned genocide of some 20-30 million Slav peoples in Germany's East. That was the number Goebbels estimated would be allowed to starve to death over the first winter of the Eastern campaign, leaving land free for German settlers. The plan ...[text shortened]... that she mentioned, in other words, is not in the genocide but in the use of fascist language.
Now I understand hard work to improve your lot in life is Nazi language. How could I be so ignorant?

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Aug 17

Originally posted by @no1marauder
Do you think this article refutes my premise - that the increase in prison population was not caused by attempts to profit from it?
My post makes no reference to yours and I see no reason to assume it does. I had an ongoing exchange with quackquack and my post was a part of my response to his idiotic sentence "Politicians don't have quid pro quo deals to get prison donations." It is just that suddenly you stepped into the crossfire. However, I'll leave you to it and take a break now.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Aug 17

Now I understand hard work to improve your lot in life is Nazi language. How could I be so ignorant?
Rhetorical question I assume.

D

Moves
29 Aug 17
1 edit

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Aug 17

QQ if you really want to understand how the US criminal justice system works, I suggest you buy "The Rich Get Richer & the Poor Get Prison, 11th ed (2017)".

If despite the vast material success you claim you have achieved you don't have enough money to do so, here's a handy website with chapter summaries: http://www.paulsjusticepage.com/reiman.htm

D

Moves
29 Aug 17
1 edit

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Aug 17
1 edit

Racial Disparities in Juvenile Life-without-Parole Sentencing

There are stark racial disparities in the imposition of life without parole sentences for juvenile offenders in the United States. Nationally, about 77 percent of juvenile offenders serving LWOP are Black and Latino, while Black youth are serving these sentences at a rate 10 times higher than white youth.23 In California—the state with the highest number of prisoners serving LWOP for crimes committed as children)—Black youth are serving the sentence at a rate that is 18 times higher than the rate for white youth, and Latino youth are sentenced to life without parole five times more than white youth. In Michigan (the state with the secondhighest number of such prisoners), while youth of color comprise only 29 percent of Michigan’s children, they are 73 percent of the state’s child offenders serving life without parole. As of 2009, in 14 of the 37 states with people serving LWOP for crimes committed as juveniles, the proportion of African-Americans serving that sentence exceeded 65 percent.

Recent research also shows that that the races of victims and offenders may be a factor in determining which juvenile offenders are sentenced to life without parole, as Black youth white victim are far more likely to be sentenced to life without parole than white youth with a Black victim. The percentage of Black juvenile offenders serving LWOP for the homicide of a white victim (43.4 percent) is nearly twice the rate at which Black juveniles are arrested for suspected homicide of a white person (23.2 percent). In contrast, white juvenile offenders with Black victims are only about half as likely (3.6 percent) to be sentenced to LWOP for the homicide crime as their proportion of arrests for suspected homicide of a Black victim (6.4 percent).

These outcomes are the result of racial biases that affect who is arrested, who is detained, and who receives the harshest punishments. For example, a 1990 statistical evaluation of police intake decisions in five Michigan counties revealed that, even when controlling for other statistically significant factors such as drug charges, weapons possession, or prior convictions, “race continued to exert an independent and significant influence on detention…[while] youth of color were more likely to be charged with more serious offenses, they were also more likely to be detained independent of offense seriousness.

q

Moves
29 Aug 17

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I'll stand by my statement that hard work is a solution to most problems. The fact that the Nazi's may have endorsed it is completely irrelevant and doesn't change that it is good advise. And while it is theoretically true that slaves and those forced in concentration camps may not be able to amply benefit from hard work, thankfully in the US we don't have either so it seems that your points once again are completely irrelevant.