1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jul '20 23:23
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Contrast the McCloskeys' no shots fired to that of the "peaceful protesters" of CHOP.

5 people shot, 2 dead, one critically wounded.

Go PEACE!
    It looks like there is a good chance the Mccloskeys will be charged; prosecutors don't normally request and execute search warrants unless they intend to follow up with charges.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jul '20 23:47
    @dood111 said
    Well then I'll put it in a nutshell for you:
    It's a video of a crowd of about 30 blacks surrounding a young white man, maybe 20 years old.
    And they beat him to death, laughing and whooping it up like they think it's hilarious.
    It just happened, funny how the media isn't covering it but they gotta keep slobbering over a white husband and wife that didn't hurt a soul..
    I think that you should just start a new thread with content like that because it actually only derails this thread to insert it.

It's not a part of the McCloskey bit.

However, it certainly is true that the news media and many people selectively report the news, and decide what things are going to be widely reported on and what things will be largely ignored. But even this is much better served as a separate topic.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 00:40
    @soothfast said
    This is just too rich, I have to share:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/11/1959951/-Not-Shocking-News-The-couple-who-waved-guns-at-peaceful-protesters-are-gigantic-a-holes

First few paragraphs:
    Personal-injury attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey entered the national spotlight like the ultimate expression of white privilege, waving their weapons towar ...[text shortened]... loskey’s took that case all the way to the state Supreme Court where, thankfully, they lost.
    Honestly, that is very interesting information and something worth looking into.

But it would be something of a deep dive, and rather of a morbid nature.

I also feel like some of these things just aren't being talked about fully in their contexts... Like, is it illegal to have a bee hive on your property if it affects your neighbors?

What was in the birthday card?

Etc.

Daily Kos is also a biased source and I am sure that they would cherrypick and present information in a biased way, even if that information is not explicitly false.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:05
    @soothfast said
    This is just too rich, I have to share:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/11/1959951/-Not-Shocking-News-The-couple-who-waved-guns-at-peaceful-protesters-are-gigantic-a-holes

First few paragraphs:
    Personal-injury attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey entered the national spotlight like the ultimate expression of white privilege, waving their weapons towar ...[text shortened]... loskey’s took that case all the way to the state Supreme Court where, thankfully, they lost.
    Good grief.

They sound charming!
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 04:19
    @philokalia said
    Honestly, that is very interesting information and something worth looking into.

I also feel like some of these things just aren't being talked about fully in their contexts... Like, is it illegal to have a bee hive on your property if it affects your neighbors?

What was in the birthday ca ...[text shortened]... herrypick and present information in a biased way, even if that information is not explicitly false.
    Lawsuits are a matter of public record. I don't think the lawsuits mentioned in the article are "fake news," notwithstanding the fact the article was published on the Daily Kos website. I've read many articles by the same author and he has always kept to a high standard.

How the McCloskeys acquitted themselves on that fateful day when folks they didn't like the looks of were walking past their dreary mansion certainly seems to corroborate things their neighbors have been saying about their temperament. Take it or leave it: the fate of the nation is not in the balance in this particular case.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 05:08
    @dood111 said
    Well then I'll put it in a nutshell for you:
    It's a video of a crowd of about 30 blacks surrounding a young white man, maybe 20 years old.
    And they beat him to death, laughing and whooping it up like they think it's hilarious.
    It just happened, funny how the media isn't covering it but they gotta keep slobbering over a white husband and wife that didn't hurt a soul..
    What's the name of the victim?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 06:20
    @dood111 said
    Wanna see some scumbags?
    Look at this crowd murder a young man for sport:
    https://www.facebook.com/ConservativeTreehouse/posts/3000530059982345
    From the Comments section:

"During the fight, the victim was allegedly hit with a stun gun, stabbed and stomped by multiple suspect. The victim is expected to make a full recovery, according to a release from the OCPD this week.~ mdcoastdispatch"
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 06:23
    @no1marauder said
    From the Comments section:

"During the fight, the victim was allegedly hit with a stun gun, stabbed and stomped by multiple suspect. The victim is expected to make a full recovery, according to a release from the OCPD this week.~ mdcoastdispatch"
    So the only thing "murdered" here was the truth of the matter.

You did the hard work there. My hat off to you. Since I'm not a Facebook member I cannot see the page.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 07:49
    @philokalia said

What was in the birthday ca ...[text shortened]... herrypick and present information in a biased way, even if that information is not explicitly false.
    Philokalia: "Daily Kos and Wikipedia are biased!"

Also Philokalia: "We should discuss the interesting material promoted on white supremacist websites."

😆
  10. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 14:25
    @no1marauder said
    It looks like there is a good chance the Mccloskeys will be charged; prosecutors don't normally request and execute search warrants unless they intend to follow up with charges.
    I have no doubt they will be arrested. Republicans are not above the law.

A completely nothing incident on their behalf and it will be prosecuted to the max
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 14:27
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I have no doubt they will be arrested. Republicans are not above the law.

A completely nothing incident on their behalf and it will be prosecuted to the max
    Sure pointing guns at people and lying in a police report are no big deal (assuming that is what they are charged with).
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 15:204 edits
    @no1marauder said
    Sure pointing guns at people and lying in a police report are no big deal (assuming that is what they are charged with).

Which is "less" a big deal? If the McCloskeys hadn't been visibly armed they may have ended up like this poor fellow who was in "no doubt" brutally assaulted by a mob.

What would your stance be in the following? The Mcloskeys ( affluent lawyers like yourself) entirely unprovoked have private gate smashed down and are brutally beaten, stabbed, etc...
    "Its ok... They probably will make a full recovery". ???
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 15:251 edit
    @joe-shmo said

Which is "less" a big deal? If the McCloskeys hadn't been visibly armed they may have ended up like this poor fellow who was in "no doubt" brutally assaulted by a mob.
    No, they wouldn't have; none of their neighbors felt the need to pull guns and point them at people walking by on their way to protest at the mayor's house.

The criminals who assaulted the person in the video were arrested and charged with various felonies. That someone was assaulted somewhere does not provide a legal excuse for someone else a thousand miles away to point a gun at others.

"My stance" is the law should be enforced against rich white people just as much as it is against not so rich black people.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 15:321 edit
    @no1marauder said
    No, they wouldn't have; none of their neighbors felt the need to pull guns and point them at people walking by on their way to protest at the mayor's house.

The criminals who assaulted the person in the video were arrested and charged with various felonies. That someone was assaulted somewhere does not provide a legal excuse for someone else a thousand miles away to p ...[text shortened]... should be enforced against rich white people just as much as it is against not so rich black people.
    And which crystal ball do you use again that guarantees this...I wish to get my hands on one?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 15:35
    @joe-shmo said
    And which crystal ball do you use again that guarantees this...I wish to get my hands on one?
    I prefer the rules on reasonable self-defense that have been developed and codified in the law over hundreds of years rather than the "who knows what might happen, so it's ok to start shooting people" standard right wingers seem to be endorsing in this case.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree