John Cleese weighs in on the woke folk

John Cleese weighs in on the woke folk

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
26 Nov 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
There's plenty of dissent on these things, and professionals are forever sensitive to any issues that hyperactive protest movements pay attention to.

I think these appeals to authority after the institutions have already been captured are not persuasive in any way.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
26 Nov 20

@rajk999 said
Its only a matter of time that these trans people, weigh down society and demand that govt finance their fake disability,. I wonder if that is happening any where in the world already.
Yes, I do not think that the US is going it alone.

Several societies in the West (and others) have the other kind of virus.

D

Moves
26 Nov 20
1 edit

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Nov 20

@lemon-lime said
They are upset because Cleese and Rowling think it's a bad idea to let men go into women's restrooms.

Woke folk are a-okay with men relieving themselves in a room designed for little girls and women, but only if those men self-identity as being something other than a man.
It's an ideal situation for voyeurs and exhibitionists who know they are men, but are willing to l ...[text shortened]... have very little (if any) common sense or sense of decency.

Edit: And they voted for Joe Biden. 😨
Jesus, this is what the right wing considers a serious political issue? What restrooms people use?

S. Korea

Moves
26 Nov 20

Care to provide some examples?

These woudl all be violations of RHP rules.

I have not seen any posts indicating that this is occurring.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 Nov 20

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 Nov 20

@no1marauder said
Jesus, this is what the right wing considers a serious political issue? What restrooms people use?
I'm not surprised you refuse to own this issue, because most leftwingers instinctively know how ridiculous it is.

S. Korea

Moves
26 Nov 20

@no1marauder said
It's a smart tactic to try to pretend issues you cannot win are completely irrelevant.

But politics is downstream from culture... and it's not like we are even talking about some obscure point of culture, right? This is political culture.

D

Moves
26 Nov 20

S. Korea

Moves
26 Nov 20

What condemnations of people?

Of course, I do not belive transgenderism is a proper lifestyle. Of course, there may be issues involving chromosomes and people born intersex that are entirely different, but for people without these, I can say that it is not the best choice, and I think that encouraging people toward this is encouraging them toward folly.

I do not think it is appropriate to say that I am attacking or condemning people.

I am talking about something abstractly.

Just as such, while I am against divorce, I have no interest in condemning divorced people.

While I am against alcoholism, I have no interest in attacking or condemning alcoholics.

D

Moves
26 Nov 20

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Nov 20

@philokalia said
It's a smart tactic to try to pretend issues you cannot win are completely irrelevant.

But politics is downstream from culture... and it's not like we are even talking about some obscure point of culture, right? This is political culture.
It's a stupid "issue".

But would hard right fundamentalist conservatives have thought that twenty years ago gay marriage was an issue that would end in a "win" for progressive principles?

Being on the wrong side of history must get a little tedious after a while.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
26 Nov 20
1 edit

I do not oppose the concept of gender dysphoria or incongruence.

I do believe it’s a mental health issue.
And I also believe its basis is a mental construct; namely what is a man and what is a woman.

I’ve always stated this.
And if adults decide to want to be something else (or adopt that which they believe they are), that’s completely up to them.

I don’t think children should be burdened with any of it. They should be taught to accept what they are / feel. And everyone should accept that too.

I don’t agree with medicating kids with hormones to push them one way or another. Generally. There are physical issues which can prove to be an exception to this rule.

And I feel that gender re-alignment surgeory is usually an attempt to physically manifest a mental construct. And that is no different to chopping off someone’s arm, because they have alien hand syndrome.

If someone is under 18: don’t bloody do it.
Help with therapy.
If someone’s over 18: good luck. Your body, do with it what you want.

And my final word on this subject: society is partially to blame. It creates and upholds many of the mental constructs which force people to feel incongruence. And that is an underlying issue which has to be addressed.

EDIT:
No, one final word on the subject: the toilet-issue is right-wing lunacy, perpetuated by small-balled men with anxiety and performance issues.

D

Moves
26 Nov 20

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 Nov 20

@no1marauder said
It's a stupid "issue".

But would hard right fundamentalist conservatives have thought that twenty years ago gay marriage was an issue that would end in a "win" for progressive principles?

Being on the wrong side of history must get a little tedious after a while.
The "wrong side of history" is repeating what past civilizations have done that led to the destruction of their cultures.
Reality doesn't choose sides, and it doesn't care what you believe. It is what it is.