1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Nov '20 14:28
    It ain't over till the spatially enhanced human female sings.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 06:23
    @kevcvs57 said
    But how diverse in opinion on things like LGBT rights attitudes to migrants can they be without the catch all term ‘Christian’ becoming meaningless. Serious question.
    Of course, a Christian who believes homosexuality is not a sin is in error.

As far as issues like "migration" (a thousand things can be meant by this), I cannot think of any reason as to why there would not be a plethora of views. Indeed, the bulk of migrants in the US are Christians.

Christians tend to be more conservative because they are resistant to secular humanist globalism.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 06:25
    @no1marauder said
    Take it to Spirituality.

The US isn't meant to be a theocracy.
    The US is also not meant to be Marxist.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 15:18
    @philokalia said
    Of what relevance does such a claim have to the issues in this thread?
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 16:06
    @no1marauder said
    Of what relevance does such a claim have to the issues in this thread?
    The same relevance as your claim the US is not meant to be a theocracy.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 16:08
    @lemon-lime said
    Philo gave religious reasoning earlier in the thread to oppose equal treatment of gay and transgender persons under US law.

So my point is relevant.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 16:221 edit
    @philokalia said
    Why isn’t it meant to be Marxist? Surely it’s not for an expat to decide what the US is meant or not meant to be.
    There is nothing conservative about the Christian Right in the US they are an extremist right wing movement.
    That’s not to say that all US Christians are right wing or extremist, I’m referring to pro Trump Christians.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 16:26
    @lemon-lime said
    So you can point us to the section of the constitution that debars the US from being Marxist or implementing Marxist socioeconomic policies.
    The separation of Church and State is clearly defined in the civic body of the US.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 17:47
    @kevcvs57 said
    So you can point us to the section of the constitution that debars the US from being Marxist or implementing Marxist socioeconomic policies.
    The separation of Church and State is clearly defined in the civic body of the US.
    "Separation of Church and State" was to prevent the establishment of a STATE religion.
    At that time the Church of England was the only "legitimate" church for Englanders to attend, and the king was the head of that church.

"... the section of the constitution that debars the US from being Marxist or implementing Marxist socioeconomic policies."
    The constitution does not mention "Marxism", except to discourage practices that could lead to a Marxist type philosophy (and socioeconomic policies).
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 18:15
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yeah, except you won't find the phrase "separation of Church and State" in there. It's a phrase atheists are fond of using in their quest to restrict religious freedom.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 18:39
    @lemon-lime said
    Yeah, except you won't find the phrase "separation of Church and State" in there. It's a phrase atheists are fond of using in their quest to restrict religious freedom.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting ...[text shortened]... he people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    "Atheists" like Thomas Jefferson?: https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/9806/danpre.html

Jefferson used the phrase to describe the practical effect of the First Amendment provisions regarding religion.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 18:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 23:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    As well they should.
    Commies have no place in American government.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    30 Nov '20 23:381 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The US Constitution was originally written before Karl Marx was born.
    This might come as a shocking revelation to Kev, seeing as how he wanted me to "point us to the section of the constitution that debars the US from being Marxist or implementing Marxist socioeconomic policies."

"I don't recall that the US Constitution mandated laissez-faire capitalism as
    the USA's economic system in perpetuity.
    "

I don't recall seeing that either.

"If I recall correctly, some right-wing Americans have unsuccessfully attempted to ban
    US citizens with avowed Communist views from being able to hold public office or even to vote.
    "

The operative word there is "unsuccessfully".
    On the other hand both China and North Korea have been very successful at suppressing any form of dissent. And have successfully maintained tight controls over what their servant/citizens may do or say.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 00:31
    @no1marauder said
    "Atheists" like Thomas Jefferson?: https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/9806/danpre.html

Jefferson used the phrase to describe the practical effect of the First Amendment provisions regarding religion.
    The pointy-headed clever by half no1Marauder disingenuously pretends I am only referring to 18th century atheists.

I was obviously talking about 20th and 21st century atheists, who have taken the phrase "separation of church and state" to mean something Thomas Jefferson (a deist) did not say. In his defense no1Marauder will undoubtedly insist he is being accurate and has fairly represented the views of Thomas Jefferson. He has not. He continues to twist intended meanings into incomprehensible word salads that only he is able to comprehend.

no1Marauder is the devil spawn of a white privilege culture, and cannot begin to fathom what the misrepresented and underrepresented second classy citizens have had to endure for 300 years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree