Dershowitz: democrats cannot impeach Trump

Dershowitz: democrats cannot impeach Trump

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
19 Jan 21

@no1marauder said
OMG.

I already cited the provision in Article I, Section 5 of the US Constitution which says each house of Congress can discipline and even expel a member. Try reading the Constitution for a change.
"So the Senate rejected the idea that a Senator was "a civil officer of the United States within the meaning of the Constitution of the United States"

He was no longer a senator, so of course he was not a civil officer. You have to be in office to be a civil officer.

You are claiming that applies to any senator. What is your source of information?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jan 21

@metal-brain said
"So the Senate rejected the idea that a Senator was "a civil officer of the United States within the meaning of the Constitution of the United States"

He was no longer a senator, so of course he was not a civil officer. You have to be in office to be a civil officer.

You are claiming that applies to any senator. What is your source of information?
A unanimous House and a majority of the Senate disagreed with your assertion in the Belknap case.

Why should I accept the claim of someone as ignorant of the Constitution as you over them?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jan 21

The provision regarding who can be impeached is in Article II, which regards the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch (which is covered in Article I). It states:

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Article II, Section 4

There is already a provision in Article I, Section 5 regarding the power of each house of Congress to expel members. Unlike impeachment, it gives such power to each house alone.

Your ranting and hold yer breath until you turn blue strategy does not override reasoned interpretation of the text of the Constitution using well established principles. No one has seriously asserted that Senators or House members could be impeached in over 220 years and I know of no Constitutional scholar expressing such a strange view.

w

Moves
19 Jan 21

@metal-brain said
It is an obvious contradiction except for morons.
Abbott: No, obviously contradiction is on third base. Moron is on second. I'm wondering who's on first.

Costello: Impeachment's on first base. It's been explained to you 200 times in this thread.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 21

@metal-brain said
You didn't copy and paste anything to prove it.
Why the need for impeachment then?
It's not needed for members of Congress. It's needed for:

""The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States,"

MB

Moves
20 Jan 21

@no1marauder said
The provision regarding who can be impeached is in Article II, which regards the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch (which is covered in Article I). It states:

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors." ...[text shortened]... impeached in over 220 years and I know of no Constitutional scholar expressing such a strange view.
It says the President, not the former president.

Blount was not a civil officer because he was no longer in office. Your assertion that senators cannot be impeached is not supported by the constitution or any precedent. You are simply claiming a precedent exists where there is none and you have nothing to back it up.

" No one has seriously asserted that Senators or House members could be impeached in over 220 years and I know of no Constitutional scholar expressing such a strange view."

So now it is house reps too? What about Belknap? You claimed he was precedent for impeachment out of office and now you are claiming he cannot be impeached.

You are contradicting yourself. Make up your feeble mind.

MB

Moves
20 Jan 21

@no1marauder said
It's not needed for members of Congress. It's needed for:

""The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States,"
Then why impeach Belknap if it is not needed?
The only thing consistent about you is your inconsistency.

MB

Moves
20 Jan 21

@wildgrass said
Abbott: No, obviously contradiction is on third base. Moron is on second. I'm wondering who's on first.

Costello: Impeachment's on first base. It's been explained to you 200 times in this thread.
Apparently you are on second.
Still sore about losing the bet I see.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 21

@metal-brain said
It says the President, not the former president.

Blount was not a civil officer because he was no longer in office. Your assertion that senators cannot be impeached is not supported by the constitution or any precedent. You are simply claiming a precedent exists where there is none and you have nothing to back it up.

" No one has seriously asserted that Senators or ...[text shortened]... u are claiming he cannot be impeached.

You are contradicting yourself. Make up your feeble mind.
Jesus Christ. Belknap wasn't a Senator or Congressman, you moron; he was the ex-Secretary of War.

The article YOU cited said that the Blount case WAS precedent for the proposition that Senators can't be impeached. Read the f***ing thing.

MB

Moves
20 Jan 21

@no1marauder said
Jesus Christ. Belknap wasn't a Senator or Congressman, you moron; he was the ex-Secretary of War.

The article YOU cited said that the Blount case WAS precedent for the proposition that Senators can't be impeached. Read the f***ing thing.
Read it yourself. I showed you that it said they didn't know why the senate voted the way it did. Nothing in the senate statement indicates that it set that precedent at all.

The article is contradictory and is probably just parroting another source that is a mere interpretation. In fact, the article says that it is an interpretation.

Read it again. You have no proof that such a precedent was established. All you have is a weak interpretation.

MB

Moves
20 Jan 21

@no1marauder said

Belknap wasn't a civil officer, you moron.
He was not in office. DUH!

Blount wasn't a civil officer, you moron.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 21

14 Senators and 5 Congressmen have been expelled from their positions since the Blount case in 1797. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress

None have been impeached.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 21
2 edits

@metal-brain said
Belknap wasn't a civil officer, you moron.

Blount wasn't a civil officer, you moron.
Was Belknap impeached? Yup. And the majority of Senators present voted to convict, so both the House and Senate in 1876 disagreed with your foot stamping, unsupported claim.

You're making a complete fool of yourself (again).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 21

And again, Trump wasn't out of office when he was impeached anyway.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 21

And MB, I wouldn't be so sure Trump won't be convicted in the Senate trial you keep insisting won't happen. Here's what Moscow Mitch said today:

""The mob was fed lies," McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said on the Senate floor. "They were provoked by the President and other powerful people."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-capitol-hill-mob-was-provoked-by-trump/ar-BB1cTvn5