@shavixmir said
    The UK’s fukked anyways.
    Right, okay...
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 10:491 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yes but it is just a right wing theory though, I’ll stick with the advice of them damned experts and let others toss the bones and read the tea leaves.
    Is Keir Starmer right when he calls for a two week national uk wide lockdown?
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 11:30
    @divegeester said
    You think Keir starmer is left wing? Is he more left left wing than the mayors of Manchester and Liverpool who railed against their regional lockdowns?
    If these regional lockdowns don’t work we could be headed for a national lockdown but the only left / right split will be between Boris and his back benchers in which case we’ll have to label Boris left wing in order to simplify the argument.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 11:31
    @divegeester said
    Well he’s certainly no expert is he, except on the ins and outs of being a politico and lawyer.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 12:31
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well he’s certainly no expert is he, except on the ins and outs of being a politico and lawyer.
    No he isn’t, and my question isn’t meant to be a trap; I’m just interested in wether or not you feel that his calls for a two week lockdown was, in your non-expert opinion, the right thing?
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 14:26
    @divegeester said
    No he isn’t, and my question isn’t meant to be a trap; I’m just interested in wether or not you feel that his calls for a two week lockdown was, in your non-expert opinion, the right thing?
    I don’t see the point in a two week lockdown it’s just long enough to annoy everyone but not long enough to have much impact on the r rate in my non expert opinion.
    I think we should be enforcing masks and social distancing in a serious way before opting for a lockdown. Outdoor Sporting events should be allowed to host a third of their capacity there is no logic to a completely empty stadium whilst you can play sardines in Tesco’s.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 18:19
    @kevcvs57 said
    I don’t see the point in a two week lockdown it’s just long enough to annoy everyone but not long enough to have much impact on the r rate in my non expert opinion.
    I think we should be enforcing masks and social distancing in a serious way before opting for a lockdown. Outdoor Sporting events should be allowed to host a third of their capacity there is no logic to a completely empty stadium whilst you can play sardines in Tesco’s.
    Kev we aren’t far apart on this.

Starmer is politicising covid imo but so is Boris, each in different ways.

As someone trying to look at this objectively I agree with your post; we should drive the tactical preventions like masks, distancing, personal and structural hygiene really hard. And I mean punitive fines for individuals and businesses, drive it like usual health compliance.

BUT, the country must go to work.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 09:02
    @divegeester said
    Kev we aren’t far apart on this.

Starmer is politicising covid imo but so is Boris, each in different ways.

As someone trying to look at this objectively I agree with your post; we should drive the tactical preventions like masks, distancing, personal and structural hygiene really hard. And I mean punitive fines for individuals and businesses, drive it like usual health compliance.

BUT, the country must go to work.
    I think Starmer was shamed out of his toadying compliance on government policy. The government was only getting opposition on its covid policies from its own backbenchers and red wall MPs which is pretty weird even for British politics.
    I think all the time Starmer could hide behind the generous furlough scheme acquiescence seemed public spirited but now that unemployment is about to bite hard he’ll have to pretend to be the opposition again.
  9. Subscribershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 09:55
    How are the hospitals coping?

That will answer the question if a lockdown is needed or not.
    And if they’re not coping (or it looks like they’re not gonna cope within a few weeks) then a 2 week lockdown will not be enough.

It’s people’s own fault. They should have stuck to the rules. A lockdown will be coming.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 10:083 edits
    @shavixmir said
    How are the hospitals coping?
    That will answer the question if a lockdown is needed or not.
    No, it doesn’t answer the question. What a struggling hospital would indicate first and foremost is the need for more hospital support!

You don’t isolate the healthy and shut down a country in the hope of escaping a virus.

What you do is isolate the sick and vulnerable, ramp up hospital provision and control infection through strict social distancing, enforced hygiene regimes and mandatory mask wearing with severe punishments for non compliance.

(Apologies for all the edits)
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 10:13
    @kevcvs57 said
    I think Starmer was shamed out of his toadying compliance on government policy. The government was only getting opposition on its covid policies from its own backbenchers and red wall MPs which is pretty weird even for British politics.
    I think all the time Starmer could hide behind the generous furlough scheme acquiescence seemed public spirited but now that unemployment is about to bite hard he’ll have to pretend to be the opposition again.
    Being a leader means making tough decisions which sometimes look like a lose lose. Churchill for example when he had to abandon several hundred soldiers to try to save the rest of the army.

This is a poo-storm and politicians might get covered in crap but the brave ones will make the difficult calls. We aren’t getting out of this without casualties.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 10:291 edit
    @divegeester said
    Being a leader means making tough decisions which sometimes look like a lose lose. Churchill for example when he had to abandon several hundred soldiers to try to save the rest of the army.

This is a poo-storm and politicians might get covered in crap but the brave ones will make the difficult calls. We aren’t getting out of this without casualties.
    Speaking as non partisan as possible ‘we ain’t got no Churchill’s left’
    This Corona thing coupled with politicos need to be seen as doing something has created such a ball of confusion.
    I’m getting on average 2 - 3 emails a day about Corona related changes to work practices and I guarantee we’re never in a situation where everyone in the office is following the same rules at the same time and I think that’s a microcosm of what’s happening in the real world.
    I just went and looked at the gov. web page for mask wearing exemptions and it’s so vague and meandering that pretty much everyone and anyone could legitimately apply for one. For me only a health official of some kind should be able to issue a personal exemption whilst the work related ones kind of take car if themselves.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 13:07
    @shavixmir said
    It’s people’s own fault. They should have stuck to the rules. A lockdown will be coming.
    The political conversion of catching a highly contagious respiratory infection into a moral failure is an insidious element of COVID hysteria.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 16:321 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Speaking as non partisan as possible ‘we ain’t got no Churchill’s left’
    This Corona thing coupled with politicos need to be seen as doing something has created such a ball of confusion.
    I’m getting on average 2 - 3 emails a day about Corona related changes to work practices and I guarantee we’re never in a situation where everyone in the office is following the same rules ...[text shortened]... d be able to issue a personal exemption whilst the work related ones kind of take car if themselves.
    It’s a mess for sure.

Have a look at mask exemption pages ~ utterly confusing and contradictory.

For example, did you know that anyone can self-exempt themselves and the gov.org page provides templates for lanyards, but there is no requirement that people wear one if they are self-exempting AND they can still be fined for not wearing wearing a mask. It’s farcical.
  15. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 21:44
    @divegeester said
    It’s a mess for sure.

Have a look at mask exemption pages ~ utterly confusing and contradictory.

For example, did you know that anyone can self-exempt themselves and the gov.org page provides templates for lanyards, but there is no requirement that people wear one if they are self-exempting AND they can still be fined for not wearing wearing a mask. It’s farcical.
    Just tell them you're a Jihadi and you claim Sharia religious exemption 😆

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree