1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 12:43
    @sh76 said
    I don't know whether it's anti-Semitism. You'd have to look into the minds of the decision-makers to determine that. The standard of singling out Israel amongst all the human rights abusers B&J continues to deal with (I'm not mentioning names to avoid going off on a tangent) is certainly suspect.

What is no doubt true is that political boycott is an act of economic war and Israel is justified in whatever economic retaliation is chooses to impose.
    Yeah... Ben & Jerries is anti-semitic... get a grip man.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 12:55
    @shavixmir said
    I appreciate the friendly admonition, but I'll continue to suspect every person who supports any facet of the "BDS" movement of anti-Semitism, thank you.

It takes a lot less than that to be suspected of racism 'round here.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:07
    @sh76 said
    I appreciate the friendly admonition, but I'll continue to suspect every person who supports any facet of the "BDS" movement of anti-Semitism, thank you.

It takes a lot less than that to be suspected of racism 'round here.
    Yeah. I don't subscribe to most people being racist either.

You'll find they stopped selling ice cream in Hong Kong and Russia too.
    And that they don't sell in various countries. Some because of political motivation.

And... more importantly... B&J made the statement that people can't be illegal.
    And for that they deserve to have their products eaten!
  4. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:202 edits
    @shavixmir said
    Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield are jews.
    But yeah, they are probably happy with what the company is doing even though they aren't part of it anymore..
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:24
    @no1marauder said
    "Ben & Jerry’s said Monday it was going to stop selling its ice cream in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and contested east Jerusalem, saying the sales in the territories sought by the Palestinians are “inconsistent with our values.”

The announcement was one of the strongest and highest-profile rebukes by a well-known company of Israel’s policy of settling its citizens ...[text shortened]... boycott movement."

Is not selling ice cream in territories occupied by Israel "anti-Semitism"?
    Politics aside, would this increase their sales, I might be interested in picking up some shares (BJICA). Watch it this mooring......if their plan causes the stock to fall into disfavor, buy it on the dip. It will surely rebound after this flash in the pan.
  6. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:291 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Politics aside, would this increase their sales, I might be interested in picking up some shares (BJICA). Watch it this mooring......if their plan causes the stock to fall into disfavor, buy it on the dip. It will surely rebound after this flash in the pan.
    Don't be too sure, Ben & Jerry's is turning off a lot of customers with their liberal activism:
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/settlement-boycott-latest-in-series-of-progressive-stances-by-ben-jerrys/
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:334 edits
    @no1marauder said
    I think this is just nothing more than marketing.

Israel's occupation and continual annexation is nothing new. Yet, B&J's waits until *now* to make this announcement, after pro-Israel Trump has left office and isn't a threat of harming their image with an attack from an enormous and influential Twitter presence.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:551 edit

Removed by poster

9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 13:59
    @no1marauder said
    "Ben & Jerry’s said Monday it was going to stop selling its ice cream in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and contested east Jerusalem, saying the sales in the territories sought by the Palestinians are “inconsistent with our values.”

The announcement was one of the strongest and highest-profile rebukes by a well-known company of Israel’s policy of settling its citizens ...[text shortened]... boycott movement."

No because I’m sure it’s still selling ice cream to semites in New York and the other parts of Israel. It’s clearly anti illegal settlement rather than anti Semitic. The idea of an extreme right wing policy hiding behind the anti Semitic shield is particularly obnoxious given the reality of actual anti Semitism in many parts of the world.
  10. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:06
    @dood111 said
    Don't be too sure, Ben & Jerry's is turning off a lot of customers with their liberal activism:
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/settlement-boycott-latest-in-series-of-progressive-stances-by-ben-jerrys/
    But libs are taking over, it seems, and if they don't Cancel B&J, there could be some money in it. Then again, libs don't like people to make money. Confusing. What a conundrum.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:08
    @vivify said
    I think this is just nothing more than marketing.

Israel's occupation and continual annexation is nothing new. Yet, B&J's wait until *now* to make this announcement, after pro-Israel Trump has left office and isn't a threat of harming their image with an attack from an enormous and influential Twitter presence.
    Partially that, but it's also becoming more socially acceptable to support far-left causes in public. They also supported "defund the police" (the single dumbest political slogan ever).
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:10
    @kevcvs57 said
    No because I’m sure it’s still selling ice cream to semites in New York and the other parts of Israel.
    That's akin to saying Dood can't possibly be a racist because he has a black friend.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:261 edit
    @sh76 said
    he standard of singling out Israel amongst all the human rights abusers B&J continues to deal with (I'm not mentioning names to avoid going off on a tangent) is certainly suspect.

What is no doubt true is that political boycott is an act of economic war and Israel is justified in whatever economic retaliation is chooses to impose.
    I have wondered about that myself, as to why Israel seems to garner more attention than say, SA with regards to Yemen.

If I had to offer a guess...it may have to do with the fact that this conflict is decades longs, combined with America's unwavering support of Israel; America's reputation as a warmongering country doesn't help Israel's image.

Add to this that surrounding Muslim nations don't hold Israel in high regard, and that's a recipe for being put under a microscope.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:31
    @sh76 said
    That's akin to saying Dood can't possibly be a racist because he has a black friend.
    Except it’s nothing like that analogy is it?
    It’s just wrong headed to assume B & J are anti Semitic because they are opposed to the Israeli Governments settlement policies as are many Jewish people in Israel and further afield.
    Nobody whose not pro settlement or a supporter of right wing Israeli politics falls for that anti Semitic charge anymore it’s been flogged to death for too long.
    Attacking or abusing someone who you perceive to be Jewish because you do not agree with Israeli government policy is anti Semitic making a statement about the inequity of Israeli government policies is not, simples.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 14:39
    @vivify said
    I have wondered about that myself, as to why Israel seems to garner more attention than say, SA with regards to Yemen.

If I had to offer a guess...it may have to do with the fact that this conflict is decades longs, combined with America's unwavering support of Israel; America's reputation as a warmongering country doesn't help Israel's image.

Add to this that surrou ...[text shortened]... slim nations don't hold Israel in high regard, and that's a recipe for being put under a microscope.
    My guess is that Israelis are (for the most part) white/European, and anything that smells of white colonialism comes in for super-duper scrutiny by the liberal counterculture. That would fit for B&J, for example, who is very into all sorts of "resist the white patriarchy" causes.

That's the benign explanation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree