1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 Nov '22 03:12
    Recently I learned (because of some drama series I have been watching), about most Thai people having a one-syllable nickname, often (but not always) an English word.

And on a tangent from that, that the Thai language does not have a first-person pronoun analogous to the English "I", so Thai speakers use their nickname where we would use a first-person pronoun in a sentence.

I wonder if the prevalence of Buddhism in Thailand is somehow involved in this linguistic phenomenon.
  2. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    19 Nov '22 15:31
    @kevin-eleven said
    Recently I learned (because of some drama series I have been watching), about most Thai people having a one-syllable nickname, often (but not always) an English word.

And on a tangent from that, that the Thai language does not have a first-person pronoun analogous to the English "I", so Thai speakers use their nickname where we would use a first-person pronoun in a se ...[text shortened]... wonder if the prevalence of Buddhism in Thailand is somehow involved in this linguistic phenomenon.
    Funny, I spent a year in Thailand and never knew that.
    But then I never learned more than a dozen Thai words.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree