Most overrated movie ever

Most overrated movie ever

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.Nf3

The Hague

Moves
05 Nov 08

Originally posted by Badwater
I used to really dislike Beethoven's 9th symphony, until Gerard Schwartz of the Seattle Symphony explained what was going on and I had an appreciation of it that I didn't have before. It's still not my favorite but it's not the drivel that it was before.

Same with Citizen Kane - I don't think anyone can appreciate the movie without knowing about William ...[text shortened]... lot of levels. Best movie ever? Probably not on my list but it would be in the top 5 or 10.
People disliking Beethoven's 9th, or any Beethoven for that matter, just don't have any idea what they're talking about.
Good example, though.

R
The Guvnor....!!!!

The Dark Side

Moves
07 Nov 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I just watched "The Searchers", and I'd have to vote for it. What is so great about this flick? I've seen better plots in TV-movies on Hallmark channel.
Hudson Hawk

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
07 Nov 08

Originally posted by davaniel
People disliking Beethoven's 9th, or any Beethoven for that matter, just don't have any idea what they're talking about.
Are you genuinely suggesting that the Choral Fantasy, The Creatures of Prometheus, and King
Wellington's Victory are great pieces of music?

Nemesio

B

Moves
13 Nov 08

The Big Labowski. I just don't get what's supposed to be so funny about it or why it's such a cult film. It does nothing for me.

B

Moves
13 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Wheely

I also found Lord of the Rings unbelievably tedious too but I guess that´s OK because the book is pretty dull and is only navigable by skimming over the fifty page descriptions of a bit of pathway.
Are you nuts! LOTR has been officially voted the greatest book of the 20th century, and quite rightly so imo. Yes, it does have lenghty descriptions, but the point is that they are so beautifully written that oftentimes you find yourself sitting open mouthed and welling up, so that you have to stop, go back and read the last paragraph again in order to appreciate once more the astounding beauty of what you just read, even if it's just "a bit of path" that he's describing. The whole thing is just gorgeous and totally captivating.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by Beltaine
The Big Labowski. I just don't get what's supposed to be so funny about it or why it's such a cult film. It does nothing for me.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

B

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Yes, well I can see that you're using langauge in a way that the central character in the film would, but how is that funny? This is what I just don't get. People who like the movie probably laughed out loud when they read what you wrote, but I just can't see what's so funny.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Nov 08

Yes, well I can see that you're using langauge in a way that the central character in the film would, but how is that funny? This is what I just don't get. People who like the movie probably laughed out loud when they read what you wrote, but I just can't see what's so funny.
It's a direct quote from the film. 🙂

I'm a big fan of the film. The direction is superb, the acting is amazing by pretty much everyone and the script (for me) is full of quirky characters and funny situations. I guess comedy value is very subjective so if it's not your brand of fun, it's normal you don't like it.

The Don

Nihon

Moves
13 Nov 08

Maybe you don't get it cause you think LOTR is the best book of the 20th century... It aint...

Best Fantasy series...maybe... and a Bloated warthog at that. I did like LOTR when I read it as a Teenager.. but there are many a good book out there to compare or beat Tolken on any given day.

B

Moves
15 Nov 08

Originally posted by mochiron
I did like LOTR when I read it as a Teenager.. but there are many a good book out there to compare or beat Tolken on any given day.
Like what?

J

Moves
15 Nov 08

Like what?
The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wheel of Tine series
Harry Potter series
David Gemill's Legend
Dark Tower series
A song of Ice and fire
Dark Materials trillogy

J

Moves
15 Nov 08

Are you nuts! LOTR has been officially voted the greatest book of the 20th century, and quite rightly so imo. Yes, it does have lenghty descriptions, but the point is that they are so beautifully written that oftentimes you find yourself sitting open mouthed and welling up, so that you have to stop, go back and read the last paragraph again in order to appr ...[text shortened]... bit of path" that he's describing. The whole thing is just gorgeous and totally captivating.
Eh? Officially voted?...what nonsense is this?

If Tolkien wanted to describe a tree he'd spend 5 or 6 pages doing it, why would any sane person want to read a 5 page description of a bleedn tree?...surely what happens to people is more interesting! people read books because they like to know what happens to characters and this becomes difficult when any time the books actually gets interesting it's ruined with endless descriptions of mountains, rivers, caves and trees!

B

Moves
16 Nov 08

Originally posted by Jamesqt
Eh? Officially voted?...what nonsense is this?

Read it and weep LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

B

Moves
16 Nov 08

The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wheel of Tine series
Harry Potter series
David Gemill's Legend
Dark Tower series
A song of Ice and fire
Dark Materials trillogy
Those are all great books, in particular David Gemell's books and Sephen Kings Dark Tower series, but how many of the books you quoted would never have existed without LOTR paving the way? I point to the Shannara books and The Wheel of Time books in particular which (although enjoyable) are clear Tolkien ripoffs and as such are a pale shadow in comparison. LOTR is and will remain the original and the greatest book of the fantasy genre for all time.

B

Moves
16 Nov 08

If Tolkien wanted to describe a tree he'd spend 5 or 6 pages doing it, why would any sane person want to read a 5 page description of a bleedn tree?...surely what happens to people is more interesting! people read books because they like to know what happens to characters and this becomes difficult when any time the books actually gets interesting it's ruined with endless descriptions of mountains, rivers, caves and trees!
Your gross exaggeration astounds me.