Any Art Tatum fans?

Standard memberRemoved
Culture 24 Feb '18 04:06
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 04:06
    I’ve been a fan of Art Tatum for more than 30 years though I realize he’s an acquired taste. Any other fans of AT on here?

How about Erroll Garner? Really love Erroll’s “Concert by the Sea” cd; especially the tunes “Autumn Leaves” and “April in Paris.”
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 07:25
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I’ve been a fan of Art Tatum for more than 30 years though I realize he’s an acquired taste. Any other fans of AT on here?

How about Erroll Garner? Really love Erroll’s “Concert by the Sea” cd; especially the tunes “Autumn Leaves” and “April in Paris.”
    Love Art Tatum - he caresses the keys with effortless sprezzatura, whereas I always find Errol Garner’s flamboyant wizardry a touch OTT. “Autumn Leaves” from his Concert by the Sea is a case in point. To my ears he massacres the magical simplicity of this classic so that it becomes a soulless display of technical skill. Horses for courses...
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '18 19:48

Can't help but be impressed by Tatum That said insofar as contemporaries go, I'm much more inclined to put on the following disc by Earl Hines: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLedUEvq70-M8HoNm1DIz0JqyZqkGOyuzI

I have the complete Pablo solo discs as well as a few of the Pablo group sessions. Are there better Tatum discs to go for?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 04:20
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Can't help but be impressed by Tatum That said insofar as contemporaries go, I'm much more inclined to put on the following disc by Earl Hines: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLedUEvq70-M8HoNm1DIz0JqyZqkGOyuzI

I have the complete Pablo solo discs as well as a few of the Pablo group sessions. Are there better Tatum discs to go for?
    I have the Pablo sets too and love them. Tatum’s playing on “Deep Purple” from the Group Masterpieces is phenomenal - the brief but beautiful introduction, how he accompanies Lionel Hampton, then the dazzling piano solo where he’s all over the keys and the blizzard of beautifully-played notes to “accompany” Harry Edison. One of my favorite tunes from the Group Masterpieces, though I also very much like “Street of Dreams,” most of the Buddy de Franco tracks, and many others.

On the Solo Masterpieces, my favorite track is probably “You’re Blasé” or “The Way You Look Tonight.”

Also a fan of the little-known “Why Was I Born” and “Day In, Day Out” from the Standard Transcriptions and nearly all of the tracks from the superb “20th Century Piano Genius” cd.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 04:241 edit
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Love Art Tatum - he caresses the keys with effortless sprezzatura, whereas I always find Errol Garner’s flamboyant wizardry a touch OTT. “Autumn Leaves” from his Concert by the Sea is a case in point. To my ears he massacres the magical simplicity of this classic so that it becomes a soulless display of technical skill. Horses for courses...
    Erroll can be over the top, but sometimes, like on Autumn Leaves, I like it if I’m in the right mood.

“Where or When” is a great track from the Concert By the Sea cd - played at a breakneck tempo. Parts of “April in Paris” from that cd are truly beautiful.

I also always liked how Erroll played “Dancing in the Dark” from a different cd - can’t remember the name of the cd, but I’m pretty sure the single is on YouTube.
  6. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 06:20
    Erroll can be over the top, but sometimes, like on Autumn Leaves, I like it if I’m in the right mood.

“Where or When” is a great track from the Concert By the Sea cd - played at a breakneck tempo. Parts of “April in Paris” from that cd are truly beautiful.

I also always liked how Erroll played “Dancing in the Dark” from a different cd - can’t remember the name of the cd, but I’m pretty sure the single is on YouTube.
    Yes, parts of “April in Paris” are interesting.
    Art Tatum, on the other hand, in “Tea for Two”, or “Blue Skies”, or even in his take of Dvorak’s “Humoresque” always puts the theme first, I feel, bringing out the essential soul of each.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 06:291 edit
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Yes, parts of “April in Paris” are interesting.
    Art Tatum, on the other hand, in “Tea for Two”, or “Blue Skies”, or even in his take of Dvorak’s “Humoresque” always puts the theme first, I feel, bringing out the essential soul of each.
    Yes, I agree though I think he can be hard to follow at times. But once I know where he’s going in an improvisation (after I’ve heard the particular tune several times,) I’m always amazed at the intricacy and depth of his playing. While his technique is obviously superb, I’ve always been more of a fan of how he plays ballads. His improvising on “I’m in the Mood For Love” and “You’re Blasé” is amazing, and his rendition of “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” is very pretty, though it’s pretty straightforward.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 14:57
    I have the Pablo sets too and love them. Tatum’s playing on “Deep Purple” from the Group Masterpieces is phenomenal - the brief but beautiful introduction, how he accompanies Lionel Hampton, then the dazzling piano solo where he’s all over the keys and the blizzard of beautifully-played notes to “accompany” Harry Edison. One of my favorite tunes from the ...[text shortened]... dard Transcriptions and nearly all of the tracks from the superb “20th Century Piano Genius” cd.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can find.

The Carter and de Franco are two of the group discs that I do have. I've long had a real soft spot for Carter. His playing is so urbane. Saw him in concert towards the end of his life. Still sounded really fine.

Had never heard the "Deep Purple" track. Very nice. Saw both Sweets and Red numerous times in concert. Saw Kessel just once, but I remember him saying he grew up in Oklahoma or somewhere like that and he offered the following explanation: "Y'all is singular......All y'all is plural".
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '18 18:251 edit
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can find.

The Carter and de Franco are two of the group discs that I do have. I've long had a real soft spot for Carter. His playing is so urbane. Saw him in concert towards the end of his life. Still sounded really fine.

Had never heard the "Deep Purple" track. Very nice. Saw both Sweets and Red numerous times ...[text shortened]... ike that and he offered the following explanation: "Y'all is singular......All y'all is plural".
    That comment from Barney Kessel is great lol. And I think you’re right that he was from Oklahoma. My brother’s a jazz guitarist and liked him, Herb Ellis and Joe Pass, though I think he liked Joe Pass the most.

Barney’s solo on Deep Purple is good and I like Art’s accompaniment very much. It’s understated compared to how he accompanied Harry Edison a little while later lol.

“September Song” is another great track off that cd and I think around the first minute is devoted to Art.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree