Moves
    22 Sep '21 14:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 14:52
    @ogb said
    there was a player McTayto who tried to correct the sandbagging problem. He was denounced and attacked by many posters. It was so bad, he stopped playing in the clans..
    Mctayto, Robbie, VESPIN and me
    we had a thing with Metallica
    poor Robbie
    got a site ban
    the rest of us are doing fine
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 14:54
    @very-rusty said
    Are you making a point here? I don't here anyone looking for him?

-VR
    McTayto was a straight shooter and honestly wanted to improve a bad situation. If he had been taken seriously , and listened to, then yes, the sandbagging problem would have been corrected by now.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 14:58
    @ogb said
    McTayto was a straight shooter and honestly wanted to improve a bad situation. If he had been taken seriously , and listened to, then yes, the sandbagging problem would have been corrected by now.
    McTayto was never part of the solution. He was part of the problem.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 15:301 edit
    @shortcircuit said
    @lemondrop

That is not true. Very rusty was NOT dumped by Metallica. He was not asked to leave by Metallica. He chose to leave over an issue I will not discuss in the forum. He was a long standing member of Metallica, and he will be missed.
    Thank you shortcircuit. Now if you can get your clanmate Divegeester to understand I will be missed, that would be great. Now at least I am able to refer him to your post when he starts talking his foolishness.

-VR
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 15:431 edit
    @mghrn55 said
    I appreciate your concern for a fellow clan mate of 13 years.
    I was not being secretive about any condition.
    It was just not my place to share personal and private information about a clan member in public.
    That was left to the individual in question. And he did respond.
    mghrn55,
    I can understand not giving any personal or private information about a clan member, which was done for me when I was very small piece of the clan. In my case I wasn't even as high as what my2sons rating dropped to! Big Difference there, someone I always looked up to.

You knew someone was going to notice the gap in his rating which wound up being 400-500 points if I am not mistaken here correct me if I am.

I don't think saying he was having some medical issues which may affect his rating would have given away much. That would explain his drop in Clan Rating. Other Clan Leaders would understand he had some medical issues. It would just be a guessing game as to what they were.

It may have stopped many unneeded accusation in my humble opinion.

-VR
  7. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 18:57
    @Very-Rusty
    perhaps this is one to add to the list of clan changes, with the way COVID has impacted on many people could we have a equivilant of the vacation setting for those that can't move as they are ill, that way ratings would not be affected as they wouldn't timeout, i guess it couldn't be rolled out to everyone as some could exploit it to delay results and also people might not want it known they are ill but i'm sure a work around it could be found, maybe?
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 19:19
    @wycombe-al said
    @Very-Rusty
    perhaps this is one to add to the list of clan changes, with the way COVID has impacted on many people could we have a equivilant of the vacation setting for those that can't move as they are ill, that way ratings would not be affected as they wouldn't timeout, i guess it couldn't be rolled out to everyone as some could exploit it to delay results and also people might not want it known they are ill but i'm sure a work around it could be found, maybe?
    Certainly something to think about. I know as his ex clanmate that my2sons wouldn't fake it. There are those however who may unfortunately.

-VR
  9. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 19:34
    @Very-Rusty i didn't feel he faked it and i don't think anyone would ever make something like that up and hope he has recovered, just felt the clan were exploiting his lower rating in new challenges
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 19:42
    @wycombe-al said
    @Very-Rusty i didn't feel he faked it and i don't think anyone would ever make something like that up and hope he has recovered, just felt the clan were exploiting his lower rating in new challenges
    Al, that is the difference between us my friend.

You can't see someone making it up to use the time, I can.

I know my2sons would never do something like that,

Sometime you are a bit to trusting in people. On the other side of the coin I don't trust many people. I still think it was a good thought.

-VR
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 21:091 edit
    One of the biggest requirements of the success in the clan feature is that the clan leader does his homework.
    A good clan leader will see the sandbaggers if he/she just does their homework.
    Now site will put in some checks and balances to ensure the integrity of the clan feature.
    In particular, in 2017, when Russ put in
    - the limit of 3 challenges in progress between any 2 clans
    - a 200 point rating differential between any 2 opponents in clan challenge games.
    The above 2 were not put in to solve rating manipulation but rather address the collusion that occurred in 2016.
    That was the bigger problem. Fixed challenges !!
    Fixed challenges were the much more serious abuse of the clan feature than chess rating irregularities.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 21:46
    What do you do if a member of your clan returns after going missing from the site and all their games timing out? If you believe their reasons were real and communication wasn't possible you welcome them back, but how do you pair them in challenges if their rating has fallen to more than 200 below the right match?

Perhaps you could prove they weren't sandbagging if there were clan ratings because their clan games timed out as well as all the others, so the absence didn't benefit the clan and wasn't strategic. Perhaps if there were separate stats for clan points lost through timeouts that would help?

When they are back is it a case of challenger beware? The rating trend is available so if people want to challenge them before their rating is restored I guess that is their look out? Similarly if they are available and want games do you issue challenges with them involved?
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 22:10
    @relentless-red said
    What do you do if a member of your clan returns after going missing from the site and all their games timing out? If you believe their reasons were real and communication wasn't possible you welcome them back, but how do you pair them in challenges if their rating has fallen to more than 200 below the right match?

Perhaps you could prove they weren't sandbagging if ...[text shortened]... look out? Similarly if they are available and want games do you issue challenges with them involved?
    it's up to the clan leader who has the option of bouncing a challenge
    if he doesn't like a particular match up he can it
    the best way to get your rating back to legitimacy is to play open invites
  14. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    23 Sep '21 18:12
    @mghrn55 said
    One of the biggest requirements of the success in the clan feature is that the clan leader does his homework.
    A good clan leader will see the sandbaggers if he/she just does their homework.
    Now site will put in some checks and balances to ensure the integrity of the clan feature.
    In particular, in 2017, when Russ put in
    - the limit of 3 challenges in progress between an ...[text shortened]... d challenges were the much more serious abuse of the clan feature than chess rating irregularities.
    don't use any ratings for clan games. just keep a win/ draw/ loss history for each clan.
  15. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '21 21:37
    @ogb said
    don't use any ratings for clan games. just keep a win/ draw/ loss history for each clan.
    Clan leaders can use the tools available to them on the chess website.
    I won't share my methology with you. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree