New Tournament Entry Criteria

New Tournament Entry Criteria

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by Irax
Yes, you won't be able to enter a tournament which is more than 50 points below your peak.
Which is morally wrong. I'll give you an example - you are playing well and you have reached your highest potential:

You can be stuffed easily by two higher rated players simultainously quitting an open tournie due to outside pressures. You will gain 128 points.

For the next year you will be only able to enter tournies 78 points above your peak. A years punishment for 2 good players being unable to manage their gameload, that is just plain unfair.

At least under the old system after 30 days you could start again but a year is ridiculous!

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
18 Dec 06

And why is it a year anyway? Surely 300 games is fairer.

Site Admin

Wimbledon

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by mrmist
This doesn't seem to be working for me.. My stats say

Rating 1307
Highest Rating 1362 (Last 365 Days)
Tournament Entry Rating 1334

So I should be able to enter the Xmas grouped random 1200-1350 based on both my current and my tourny entry rating, but it says I can't, because of my 365 day score. What's up with that? Shouldn't it use the tourny entry score?
My apologies - please try again.

Site Admin

Wimbledon

Moves
18 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Grandmaster bater
I have worked it out. That is not stictly true.

It is in two parts. If your current rating is more than 100 below your max rating then the formula is (highest -100) + highest divided by 2.

If your current rating is lower than your highest but by not more than 100 then the formula is current+highest divided by 2.

This means that no-one gets a tourni rating less than 50 spots below their max (not 100)............I think!!
Yes.

The tournament entry rating is an average between your current rating and your highest rating.

However, if your current rating is more then 100 points below your highest rating, then (highest - 100) is used instead of your current rating.

For example, I am currently rated 1212, but I have a high rating of 1333 in the last year. So my tournament entry rating is

(1233 + 1333) / 2 = 1283

Hopefully this will address a lot of the concerns with the entry system.

Of course, if the value "100" in the formula needs to be changed following a suitable trial period then we will of course do so.

Naturally, there will always be profiles you can identify where they are worse of than others by any formula we put in place.

Moves
18 Dec 06

Originally posted by invigorate
Which is morally wrong. I'll give you an example - you are playing well and you have reached your highest potential:

You can be stuffed easily by two higher rated players simultainously quitting an open tournie due to outside pressures. You will gain 128 points.

For the next year you will be only able to enter tournies 78 points above your peak. A ...[text shortened]...

At least under the old system after 30 days you could start again but a year is ridiculous!
How often do two players rated much higher than you resign at the same time to stuff you up? Not only that, but you'd need to be at or near your yearly peak before it'd cause the scenario you put forward.

I think this is just nit picking, do you really want to return to the old system?

Also, this does need to be time limited, a 300 game limit could easilly be sandbagged, they just start 300 games and then start loosing them.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
19 Dec 06

Well done Chris.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Dec 06

Originally posted by Chris
Of course, if the value "100" in the formula needs to be changed following a suitable trial period then we will of course do so.
So this is the long term solution. It seems good enough to tackle one of the aspects of the problems with people entering the wrong bands, but what about newcomers who have only played 21 games, and are still hundreds of points away from their true rating?

D

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
19 Dec 06

Originally posted by Irax
How often do two players rated much higher than you resign at the same time to stuff you up? Not only that, but you'd need to be at or near your yearly peak before it'd cause the scenario you put forward.

I think this is just nit picking, do you really want to return to the old system?

Also, this does need to be time limited, a 300 game limit could easilly be sandbagged, they just start 300 games and then start loosing them.
I disagree. Maybe 2 resigning is unlikely (but it happenend to me) but claiming a win is not unlikely - especially with auto-timeout.

I normally claim wins when my rating is high to push my rating even higher to give myself a false feeling of greatness.

A 12 month exclusion from competitive tournie play is really harsh.

On my graph you can only see my last 300 games, of which 4 are above 1400. the highest being 1424. There are far more games below 1200 than above 1400. Yet my tournie rating is 1457 - which is absolutely ridiculus.

I am a 1250 player. After nearly 5 years here I know my level. I've only ever lost one game by time out (on Christmas day 3 years ago - it still rankles). I've never resigned deliberately to lower my rating.

Why dont you go after the people that were abusing the system rather than punishing those of us who happen to play a lot of chess and therefore more prone to rating fluctuations.

Taking away the recs took away the forum incentive to post.

Taking away the right to enter tournies at your level is just another example of ignoring the abusers of the system and punishing those of us who use the site a lot without abusing it.

H

Moves
19 Dec 06
1 edit

A 12 month exclusion from competitive tournie play is really harsh.
😕

You are not excluded form tournaments - you have shown the ability at times to play to a higher standard - you just need to play that way in the tournaments you enter - rather than playing all your games carelessly, letting your rating slide - entering a tournament on that low rating and then taking it seriously again - crushing all the 1200's who are not able to get up there. Seems like you are capable of a good game (1457) so stop whinging 😛

Farnborough

Moves
19 Dec 06

This is great, and long overdue, well done. 🙂

A

Amsterdam

Moves
19 Dec 06

I totally totally totally agree with Invigorate!!!
Before I even noticed this topic I was already sending feedback to Chris on this.. and that was exactely the same feedback as Invigorate is describing!
My highest rating was achieved by a lot of luck and some time-outs in my favor (not my favor after all apparently!!!)
Since my real level is far below the tournament rating, let alone my highest rating, I'm basically banned from tournaments for a whole year!!!!!!
Who to thank here????

Regards, Patrick

Moves
19 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Amsterdamn
Before I even noticed this topic I was already sending feedback to Chris on this.. and that was exactely the same feedback as Invigorate is describing!
My highest rating was achieved by a lot of luck and some time-outs in my favor (not my favor after all apparently!!!)
Since my real level is far below cally banned from tournaments for a whole year!!!!!!
Who to thank here????

Regards, Patrick
Nonsense! Your Tournament Entry Rating is 1426. I had a look at your graph and you've been over 1400 for several months and for a while were higher than 1500. So I don't know how you can say that your "true level is far below the tournament level".

Chris has said that there will be a greater variety of tournament bands in the future. With your current Tournament Entry Rating you should be able to enter Under 1450 tournaments. Don't tell me that you won't have a good chance to win such tournaments!

Saying that you have been "basically banned from tournaments for a whole year" is ridiculous. All that has happened is that you've been moved up to a slightly higher rating band. Big deal.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
19 Dec 06

Originally posted by Chris
My apologies - please try again.
Yaay, now it works. 🙂

it seems fair enough. Although the time period is quite long. My tourny rating is probably a bit above where I actually play because it takes in one of my spikes of performance. If the period were any longer it would take another spike in and my tourny value would be way higher than it should be.

So I can see where people are coming from who have a lot of games on the go and the scores go up and down more often, sometimes out of luck rather than judgement.

A

Amsterdam

Moves
19 Dec 06

Well David Tebb,

Okay, I might have been a bit to hard there, but the last posting really says it all.. with a few (lucky?) wins your rating goes up hard and you will be tied to that for a year..

So suggestion to Chris: instead of 365 days, make it 2 months or someting!?

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
19 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Amsterdamn
Since my real level is far below cally banned from tournaments for a whole year!!!!!!
Who to thank here????

Regards, Patrick
Maybe you could raise your game a bit ?

My highest rating was a peak due to a lot of wins in a row, but what i've realised is that playing higher rated players is good for your game, and 100 points higher is entirely feasable for anyone. Don't forget that others will be in the same boat as you, and players that would normally sail through your old tournaments wont be elligable to play at your level.

I would suggest your argument is poorly thought out.

edit, just saw your last post, but i still think mine is relaevant.